Tuesday 17 April 2018

On to Richmond the obsession is holding

Not been doing much blogging recently but the hobby enthusiasm remains buoyant with the promise of the American Civil War finally hitting the battlefield this weekend.

Having spent too much time working I felt I deserved a small treat and managed to pick up some additional recruits for the Union Forces from eBay. I don’t buy many painted figures, but it has just given that little boost in terms of  ‘bulk’ the force needed. They are nicely painted Perry figures so fit almost seamlessly with my own I just needed to give them flags and do a little base treatment to give a respectable match.
I actually bought three infantry units, but two are quite large and split easily into four.
I have also managed to polish of my first Union Cavalry force and the Brigade Commander seen in the first picture.

I’ll try and take a full force photo sometime. πŸ™‚

16 comments:

  1. Very nice! I got as far as buying a book about ACW battle tactics, but have got no further. I was prompted by the memory of a documentary series that BBC2 aired about 20 years ago during the Christmas holidays. Maybe one day...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve a period I have been interested in for a long time but never got round to doing, finally I have made some proper progress πŸ™‚ and it is a nice feeling

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to seeing them in action Matt. It’s a fine period to game, I always look forward to the games over at GHQ and enjoy them immensely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is indeed God’s own wargames period. Considering the figures you have are not Dixon they are quite nice. Good buy from eBay if the price was right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I have no soul .... but the Perry figures are pretty good. I do hope to expand a bit further with Foundry and Perry metals to add some variety when I have a good bulk of core troops. Nearly there......although I now need to do a couple more rebel units now. Flags look great πŸ˜‰

      Delete
    2. So glad the surplus found a home.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Hopefully soon just been doing some terrain....πŸ™‚

      Delete
  5. My lot are waiting for battle. Think it will be a battle for who has which side

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can choose πŸ™‚ bring all your boys along.

      Delete
  6. A nice purchase and a good way to expand the collection indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A little lift just to ease the collection over that first milestone......

      Delete
  7. Matt, it is good to reward yourself with a batch of fine Federals!

    If you want another Federal brigade to boost your numbers, let me know. I have a brigade that is not seeing any action and likely do to so.

    https://palousewargamingjournal.blogspot.com/2016/11/28mm-acw-project-brigade-review.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan ......I’m like a dog need rewarding πŸ™‚ thanks for the offer for the Brigade I’ll check it out. This might push my guilt levels too high as I have at least a Brigade in the plastic pile !

      Delete