Friday 6 December 2019

Al Andalus archers and more !

Another busy week including my wife’s birthday, Battleground Wargame Show and a recreational trip to London.
First up the next unit of Al Andalus Archers, these are a mixture of Conquest Games Norman archers and some Gripping Beast archers, lots of head swops to give them a strong Arabic feel but they are better equipped than just a group of local levy 
We managed to get across to battleground show last Saturday, sadly I didn’t take many photos chatting and shopping too much, two games which caught my eye was this El Cid game
And this WW2 game with a live cinema in play (good effort)
I had a small list of things to buy ! But when I landed at the Bring and buy the guy putting on the El Cid game was selling off a stack off Al Andalus figures so i didn’t have an option than to buy them all, in essence a whole army ! Mainly Artizan and Gripping Beast figures a big smile on my face 😀😀😀
Also picked up this building second hand slight damage to the paving stones
and a mausoleum type building which I also hope to slip into an Iberian village or town.
In London this week, as well as catching some culture we visited the British museum, plenty of inspiration 
I have a unit of immortals to paint
Al Andalus
and the main reason for the BM to visit the current Troy exhibition which brings together a whole raft of antiquities based around the Troy myth and how it has been represented through to modern times.

A game planned this weekend so hopefully more soon 🙂

16 comments:

  1. Oh, I am very envious of your travels!

    Great grab on the Reconquista figs and buildings. One day I will make a trip to the British Museum. Looking forward to a more in-depth report on your museum visit and the Troy exhibit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan the figures were a real bargain but it does mean the lead pile is taking over, I just can’t resist a bargain and these were a real bargain! I fear any description I might give of the British Museum would be a new blog in itself, should you ever find yourself in London the BM is certainly worth the free entry. The Troy exhibition which is one of their ‘events’ is fascinating but definately one for those interested and perhaps with a knowledge of Ancient Greek history and myth. Luckily I am one of those but my wife found it rather ‘dry’ she found the colourful Mesopotamia and Persian rooms far more interesting. Like any such National Museum you really need quite a lot of time or be able to visit often 😬

      Delete
  2. That will be a lot of little pointy sticks incoming. A fine haul from the show there, you must be well chuffed with those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very lucky I didn’t work out the savings but I suspect they were somewhere around 40% of new 👍 the problem is , as I was discussing with mates in the car home I have effectively bought an albeit small army in one go! 3 good sized infantry units a couple of small cavalry units and commander etc.....the lead pile is once again very substantial

      Delete
  3. Nice conversions and a great moment of serendipity in finding that hoard of figures for sale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks AJ yep lucky as this was the first box at the Bring and buy I went too !

      Delete
  4. good to see you, say happy birthday for me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep good to catch up will sort a game date soon

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the tip about the Troy exhibit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As per my comment above, exhibition best suited to those with a more than passing interest in Greek ancient history and myth. As I am sure you are one of those people it is great 🙂

      Delete
  6. Fine new unit Matt and great acquisitions at the show. That should keep you busy for a week or so...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May not even be able to justify a Christmas present this year as the lead pile is very large at the moment🤪

      Delete
  7. Great looking archers and games, Matt. I would've loved to have seen the Troy exhibit too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the archer unit,great buy at the show and the Troy exhibition sounds marvellous!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don’t know how that statue of me got in the museum...
    Great painting and nice haul of bargain miniatures. Attending shows and finding bargains is the main way that the lead pile grows 😀

    ReplyDelete