Saturday 10 October 2020

General update

 All the Gaming shows in the uk seem to have been cancelled and obviously things are getting difficult again especially in the north where lots of local lockdowns are in place. We are managing to get some occasional games in but the dungeon is not ideal as the ventilation isn’t good and it is a relatively enclosed space. The colder weather is likely to discourage (I am still hopefully on sunny days to get outside) too many outdoor games.

All this means we are moving back to virtual gaming so hopefully I can share some of these soon. I do feel quite a lot of ‘mojo’ though at the moment and am really enthusiastic on lots of different aspects. So I thought I would share a couple of things.

First up we have now played a couple of big games outdoors using the green blankets you are familiar with, however at this bigger scale which we definitely intend to indulge in more when we can I didn’t have the option of desert terrain. I spent quite while hunting a solution to meet my style and pocket. Whilst the newer printed options are nice they are expensive at this size. But I found the above from S&A Scenics a good quality felt cloth for £54 . When I get some reasonably warm weather I intend to use some paint to create a little variation in the colours. The first likely use will be a Greek vs Persian Battle .
I have also been considering a new project........humph I hear you sigh another project but you haven’t finished the last one. This is just the way I work, thinking in my head about the next project whilst slaving away painting. Anyway enough of the self flagilation I have been thinking about the War of the Roses for some time well before the recent encouragement from WI and a number of fellow bloggers these just tipped me over the edge, and seeing my moment of weakness Phil very kindly offered me some unwanted figures to get me started. (Like offering an addict one more hit !) after the polite exchange of a modest financial renumeration this lovely box arrived in the post yesterday. A really good start which with some Front rank  figures I already had get me started in the Medieval Period.
With all this figure painting I find myself using basic supplies and I needed a restock of Milliput I don’t really do many Wip blogs but if anybody wondered this is how I now do all my bases for larger scale figures, it is slightly laborious but works for me.
Finally a true WiP shot and this gives a sense of my randomness. Here are the latest figures hot/dry from spraying undercoating in the garage. It shows I am cracking through stuff. I tend to prep three or so units at a time giving me the option to paint a range of scales and figures at any one session so I never get bored. Here are 12 converted Arab camelry. Irregular camels with GB Arab riders. A unit of dark age Saxons, as I found I had them and we need some more if we want to fight the battle of Hastings in the spring. In the background two Prussian fusilier regiments. Out of interest we’ll possibly to some the figures on sticks will stay on their stick to be painted, I find this the most effective way, the camels are too large so will have to be done one at a time....old school.

Well a fairly random update from me, hopefully some more gaming but lots to be getting on with 👍

21 comments:

  1. Matt, nice to see the starting of the WotR project. Interesting to see Milliput as your basing material of choice. Is it more forgiving than ‘green stuff’? which I find wants to dry quicker than my plodding crafting skill needs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm, WotR may take a while to get going but it is definitely a project whereas before it was just a thought. Milliput much easier for larger coverage like bases, I do have some green stuff for any small conversion of modelling work.

      Delete
  2. Perhaps random but very informative! A glimpse behind the genius at work. I laughed a little when. I saw the beginnings of a WotR project. Many of us are so easily distracted.

    Looking forward to seeing your new project take shape.

    Sorry to hear about the possible return to lockdown. I had to back out from an invitation to a F2F game today. My county has been seeing about 100 new cases a day for the last few weeks and I opted to remain home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan having seen a few other posts recently I think i might try a a few more WiP posts ?

      Delete
  3. busy as ever. I've got the Andalusians being painted, enough Moors to give me a nice sized force to do next. ACW and 10mm Italian wars for christmas. Think that's it. My ebay sales are giving me a nice cash boost. I may do some 13th century crusaders, already have a few, to get max use out if the arabs. see you in the ether

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers , as long as you are keeping busy hope tier 2/3 goes ok 👍

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you should be busy in spite of conventions being cancelled. WotR sounds quite interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keeping busy Dean is the only way I am never short of something to do 😀

      Delete
  5. Great to see you having some mojo which for me has been sadly lacking this past week or so. A chance to get outside today cheered me up and I've set a game up to play on Monday as the weather looks wet. No chance of FtF gaming here due to family reasons but nice to see what projects you've got on the go and all in a true wargames butterfly fashion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve. Having several projects on the go does help keep things fresh as I move from one to the other...but I am determined to get enough AWI done to get at least a small battle before Christmas. It won’t be historical but getting a collection ont he table is a real sign a project is making progress👍

      Delete
  6. Sorry to hear ftf gaming falling off the agenda,no doubt that will happen down here soon enough and I will be press ganging my daughter into giving me a game! Starting WOTR whilst still painting other periods is just sensible planning and one I am in total agreement with and indeed follow! Nice to see your wip,that's a lot of milliput, I'd be too tight to use it for basing!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain the Milliput does last quite a lot of figures/units so the cost is spread out, I just hate seeing the base of figures not covered up

      Delete
  7. A very mixed bag there, interesting none the less Matt. Here too I fear F2F games will soon be off the agenda...

    ReplyDelete
  8. WotR seems to be enjoying an upsurge of interest lately, what with the new Never Mind the Billhooks rules coming out. A shame the COVID-19 situation is spoiling things. Still, I look forward to seeing what you come up with for your new project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it would be fair to say all the recent photos in magazines have encouraged me but I have been thinking about it for quite a while

      Delete
  9. Has anyone really ever finished one project before starting the next? I doubt it. Especially since buying is SO much easier than actually painting...

    Very nice collection of ideas and items. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No my projects are never finished and in fact if I was honest I probably have units or figures to paint for every collection I have 🤔

      Delete
  10. Nice to see someone with new projects ... now you have to find time!

    ReplyDelete