Wednesday 3 March 2021

Breeds Hill Earthworks

With the up and coming Bunker Hill battle I obviously needed some earthworks for the American forces to defend (hide behind). Having checked a number of scenarios and historical maps I felt there were two options a bespoke structure or something more flexible. As usual this second option is my preference creating some earthworks which could be used for anything from the dark ages right through perhaps to Operation Sealion ? I sketched out some ideas and got stuck in with card, foam block and glue.

Some thick grey card bases roughly cut and shaped, painted dark brown
Foam board cut into roughly square strips
The best glue to affix these is ‘No More nails’ so they need to be left overnight to dry properly
Then carve the rounded shape and attach some stick, these were from a modelling bag I bought ages ago but could be sourced in the garden just as well, I went for a mixed and fairly random look, these were stuck again with ‘no more nails’. Then PVA glue and some sand to cover the foam
Base coat of dark brown and then some lighter brown dry brushing.
A little scatter grass, above with the ‘log’ side
And here the soil side they work both ways, they may get some more grass in the future ?
The plan was to use the wicker baskets to fill the gaps, this means with ten pieces the whole can be arranged in a number of different ways, the above configuration being the likely set up for Breeds Hill, and I have enough to build two of the flèche to the north.

And now for something completely different some Early war German zombies 🤣 these are part of a totally random idea to create a parallel branch out from my operation Sealion campaign. Who knows where this madness will lead !

Thanks for looking 👍


24 comments:

  1. Your breastworks look superb! Perfect to hide behind. German Zombies? That is random, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan they impregnable to me 😢

      Delete
  2. Awesome terrain, Matt! You know I will be reviewing it in more detail when I start on my Russian gun emplacements.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean, easy to make really I might cut down the bases slightly to make them easier to fit together which I can do quite easily.

      Delete
  3. These look great Matt but I would recommend leaving a few gaps for the grenadiers to get through....!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Matt, nice job, I am using No More Nails for quite a lot of jobs now, including putting figures onto MDF for the combo of good strength and no fumes. Using Gabion as 'the join' is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks norm I I find it useful for those bigger terrain jobs where I don’t mind making a bit of mess !

      Delete
  5. Smashing pieces of terrain and very versatile too! But, zombies, oh dear....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David .....who knows where the zombie project might lead ?

      Delete
  6. Lovely rapid and useful bit of terrain and the zombie Germans are fun!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain I tend to spend ages thinking about terrain but when I start I just want to crack on....not sure where the zombies might appear in the future ?

      Delete
  7. Super synthetic soil shovelling there Matt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those came out looking really well. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew.....simple modelling really nothing fancy 👍

      Delete
  9. Nice scratch builds, Nazi Zombies... oh dear!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very effective looking earthworks. And very useful too, for all periods, as you say.

    ReplyDelete