Saturday 7 August 2021

A skirmish in Al Andalus

We are gradually getting face to face gaming back on the menu and in the reasonably warm weather I have been utilising my outdoor gaming space. I have the setup sorted so it takes a minimum to get going. I have the use of  a new outdoor light which means we are not restricted by daylight. The only problems are carrying stuff up from the dungeon so games outdoors tend to have less terrain and occasional midges and bugs. Anyway enough of the practicalities on to the battle.

The game was reintroducing a mate from work to gaming so I kept things simple and colourful.

Somewhere in Al Andalus circa 1000 AD two small forces have been out scouting the area when they clash rather than engage they must seek to escape the only problem being the opposing army is in the way ! Even with the new light some photos from the wrong direction are a little dark, but this might be the two armies clashing as the sun sets across the Iberian desert ?

The two forces are entirely Arab based, mine being slightly heavier in nature including the mounted crossbowmen, so lovely but so hard to use effectively
The enemy includes fast moving light cavalry
Initially the enemy light cavalry races forward but is given. Bloody nose and retreats
I have some skirmish infantry who head for the dry wadi for protection
Not surprisingly the main part of the battle unfolds in the centre of the table
The balance in this scenario is do you fight or attempt to evade and escape ? The enemy light cavalry chose the later
My medium infantry pushes into the centre to hold the ground
The enemy looking to outflank and escape but I only have my commander to attempt to block the escape
Hard to describe the action here but it proved a very tactical and mobile game
With move and counter move by both sides, here my infantry has pulled back to block the escape again
Eventually my crossbowmen manage to make a beeline for home past the village well

An entertaining battle with lots of tactical to and fro. In the end my side lost out by a couple of points, failing a couple of key activation rolls are key moments. A warm evening, good company a fun, colourful battle and a bottle of red wine. All very nice 😀


25 comments:

  1. A timely AAR Matt, as I dug out my copy of 'Lion Rampant' this evening, in one of my periodic musings on what rules to use for Ancients and Medieval gaming. Also my wife is enjoying the Spanish 'El Cid' series on Amazon, which has got me toying with the idea of some games in the Iberian peninsula. Too many ideas, too little time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve ….one of my favourite periods so full of colour and a great variety of troops. I have just been digging through my lead pile to see what else I have to paint and quite a few units for this project 👍

      Delete
  2. Sounds like the perfect way to spend an evening Matt and you are even playing outside, getting some fresh air! An unusual tactical challenge like this is always interesting...as you say, both players could agree to depart the table without engaging in any combat at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith we were never going to agree that !!

      Delete
  3. Charming table and figures, your friend was no doubt truly wooed :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm he is keen to come back for more which is great

      Delete
  4. nice little battle and another new opponent. You must have a fairly full dance card

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Martin, he has played in the dungeon before just not since crazy COVID stuff kicked off

      Delete
  5. A lovely-looking game, and that desert mat looks works especially well. Did your workmate enjoy the re-introduction?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, he has indicated a desire to return so that was either the game or the wine ?

      Delete
  6. I always enjoy seeing this collection out on maneuvers. My Reconquista collection needs to make an appearance some day on the table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon would be good indeed to see your collection, I did a bit of digging in the pile to see what else I had to paint for this collection and it is quite a bit 4 or 5 units at least 😀

      Delete
  7. Awesome game- I'm slowly working on a force for Lion Rampant- in Spain no less ( Almoravids). Thanks for sharing -Great AAR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John Al Andalus is such a great period, colourful, flexible and varied troops. Would be good to see the Almoravids 👍

      Delete
  8. Super, smashing shenanigans in sunny Spain, really like your El Andalus collection.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your Iberian adventures are always grand to view. Looking forward to your next game report, bugs or wine permitting of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my favourite periods….but then I have a few.

      Delete
  10. Great looking game as always, Matt. Speaking of face to face gaming, we're going ahead with our "big" convention on Labor Day weekend. Over 200 folks in a convention hall setting - I host a game, signed up for two; debating whether to wear a mask or not - lots of folks from all over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean face to face gaming in a convention sounds good, after all we need to move on in the world post COVID 👍

      Delete
  11. A lovely looking game Matt..
    And what a nice way to bring someone back into the wargames hobby (obsession 😁).

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly we had a good battle. Obsession I don’t know what you mean ?

      Delete