Tuesday 4 June 2024

Portuguese Cacadores and another Sherman (plus Pompeii)

This weeks painting update 😀

First up a unit of Portuguese light infantry, Cacadores can’t really do the Peninsular without these, seems hard to find a consistent uniform as they are shown in many different variations, in fact every publication seems to show them slightly differently ? Anyway this seems pretty standard approach, they are Perry figures with the base on their left being Atiradores armed with rifles. I think I also have another small unit to complete in the future.
Another addition to the Sicilian collection a second Sherman, a Warlord Resin kit picked up off eBay 
Finally a couple more wound markers with some ‘fake’ Russians

And as promised some more Roman stuff from our recent holiday, a few photos from Pompeii fairly easily accessible from Naples by train unless there is an unexpected train strike on the day you have booked to go ! Despite these challenges we got to the site pretty early before the mid-day crowds. It is a pretty impressive site, still undergoing excavation. There are also fairly random and irregular sections of the site closed off to the public ?
One of the many paved roads running towards Vesuvius in the background
One of the roadside fountains
Wonderful stucco interiors preserved 
Pompeii famous for the casts of many of the unfortunate inhabitants caught by the eruption back in 79AD
A bakery
Many beautiful painted interiors, perhaps one of the most famous being the House of the Mysteries
It is breathtaking 
But it is not the only painted interior, in fact you get the sense that the Romans pretty much painted every surface of their buildings both inside and outside, rather than delicate white marble I sense they preferred a gaudy Blackpool or Disney land approach
Some of the frescos are fantastically detailed
Mosaics a plenty including several warning guard dogs
Roadside shops on nearly every corner, for those that rent aware each hole in the surface actually represents a large earthen jar buried into the counter containing liquids or perhaps olives etc…
And finally a shot outside the Amphitheatre, the town council kept the area clear of traffic and shops if you imagine the tourists in togas it might be very similar to the view back in 79 before the eruption.

We actually spent the entire day at Pompeii so this is just a snapshot of what is a very large site, one day I might well return for another visit ?

More holiday shots to come next time and perhaps some more painting as I wait to feel a bit better.

Thanks Matt 😀




26 comments:

  1. Great looking Cacadores and Sherman, Matt. Love the Ancient artwork and ruins too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean the Romans certainly knew how to paint their walls !

      Delete
  2. The photos of Pompeii brought back happy memories of our holiday based in Sorrento, thanks. The Portuguese are rather spiffing Matt, as are the Sherman and the casualty markers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David, the Cacadores have a slightly drab uniform and their black piping etc is very hard to paint. I suspect in the real world they would have looked almost black unless you were very close up ?

      Delete
  3. You are turning out some fine stuff there Matt. Love the Pompeii pics of course, brings back memories. Especially searching for a Dutch girls contact lens, I think folk thought we were part of a dig.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil glad you remember Pompeii it certainly left an impression with us, a wonderful place

      Delete
  4. Lovely work on the Cacadores, as you say so much confusing information about what colour their uniform was. The Sherman is very decent as well. More great pictures from your holidays again really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donnie, more photos to come as I drip feed them into the blog

      Delete
  5. Lovely Cacadores Matt…
    The brown and sky blue are a nice colour combination…
    And a fine looking Sherman.

    The Romans certainly liked to cover their walls in images…
    I’m probably quite similar… My daughter says the only reason I’ve had the work done on my cellar is to gain more wall space…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly, I haven’t persuaded my wife to let me fresco the house yet but perhaps one day ?

      Delete
  6. Lovely looking miniatures, but the Roman stuff is a pure art !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michal a wonderful place to visit and the Romans were keen on their frescos 👍

      Delete
  7. Your cacadores have come out beautifully, as has your Sherman. I must admit I find the cacadores a bit boring to paint when I did them because of the dark brown I used, but your choice of brown looks far more appealing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence, I agree on the Cacadores colours as I have mentioned above I suspect in the real world they were pretty much black from a distance !

      Delete
  8. I like the look of the Cacadores and the Sherman. Great photos of Pompeii, definitely a place I want to visit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neil, I can recommend Pompeii pretty highly 👍

      Delete
  9. Pompeii photos brought back memories, we did two days due to a heatwave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two days is probably a good idea, I would certainly be happy to return sometime 👍

      Delete
  10. Very nice work on the Cacadores Matt...I quite enjoyed painting mine....it was a break from endless battalions of blue coated Portuguese line infantry!
    The images of Pompeii are excellent...I found the petrified (in both senses of the word) unfortunate inhabitant quite poignant....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith , I think I might do some French Grenadiers next ? Pompeii is spectacular and famous for the plaster casts of the inhabitants who failed to escape. There are quite a lot of them although I don’t think they are all on display at one time .

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. More painting and more holiday history to come 👍

      Delete
  12. Lovely work there Matt on both the figures and the Sherman. Great photos from Pompeii too:).

    ReplyDelete
  13. You continue making fine progress on several painting fronts. I really enjoyed your Pompeii visit. Superb photos of some stunning sights. Visiting Pompeii has moved up my Bucket List thanks to you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great looking figures Matt. Pompeii is truly a sight to see. I visited there a few years ago and loved every minute of it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nicely done on the Sherman. I just did an order with Perry for a whack of Napoleonics to use in Silver Bayonet to augment the crews. Looks to have been a fantastic trip to Pompeii!

    ReplyDelete