Thursday 31 August 2017

The thunder of hooves : Scythian Horse Archers

Working away during the evenings between ACW stuff I have managed to finish these Scythian Horse archers, these will form form part of my slowly developing Persian army and probably appear as mercenaries. Wouldn't it be nice to have a much larger force of Scythians but these will have to do for now.
They are Essex riders but with some, fairly random horses I picked up at a show flea market. They will most likely play as two troops in our Kings of War games. Don't look too hard at the painting but they look ok at a distance πŸ˜€ Their finishing almost coincides with the up and coming British Museum exhibition which is no my list of things to attend  in the next few months.

21 comments:

  1. Fast and beautiful cavalry, nicely done Matt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil...beautiful might be stretching it but hopefully effective at hit and run πŸ˜€

      Delete
  2. Looking good, I may have to get some horse archers for the Romans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks the foundry ones are nice ...but I am not sure the Scythians fought with the romans ?

      Delete
    2. Surely you mean more Goths?

      Delete
  3. Matt, these are a perfect start to a Persian army.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, these can add to the fledgling force....the rest of the Persian army is in the lead/ plastic volcano.....

      Delete
    2. I have a small handful of Foundry Skythian/Cimmerian horse archers in my painting queue for my fledgling Assyrian army. Perhaps mine, once fielded, can see double duty somewhere?

      Delete
    3. Yes I like the foundry figures, I only have limited knowledge but believe they fought as mercenaries for a range of empires across a fairly lengthy time period. πŸ™‚

      Delete
  4. Lovely job - I like the basing and how it contributes to the cohesiveness of the unit as a whole.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Hitting on 3's I think πŸ˜€ Are you going to Border show on Saturday we are planning to come across.

      Delete
  6. Nice looking horse archers, useful as parthians if your fudging it a bit ? I didn't know about the sythian exhibition so thanks for that.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain with my wild abuse of historical accuracy they will hopefully be finding time on the battle field as a range of mercenary horse archers, although their core role is part of the persian army.

      Delete