Tuesday 15 November 2022

Dungeon Wargaming table

I am hoping this will be of interest to some people, we perhaps don’t blog enough about our respective setups and gaming spaces, anyway as part of the ongoing tidy up in the dungeon I have been thinking about my gaming table configuration and how to make it easier to flex the table to different setups Part of this was brought on by a large game last Friday where it took ages to set the table up.

Anyway after some thought and the purchase of a couple of extra boards…..here are the main options.

This is the standard 6 x 4 table. Storage is tight so the end of the table is the normal storage location for terrain/ mainly buildings in big plastic boxes , which in the above picture is behind the back board
I still have and occasionally use my 2 x 2 terrain boards here they are setup as a 6x4 battlefield
By simply moving the storage boxes the basic table is 8 x 4, please be kind about the mess as this is actually the tidied up state of the dungeon ๐Ÿ˜€
It is then very simple and quick to widen the table giving a slightly more aesthetic table 4’8” wide.
The shelves and surface on the right was specifically built to be the same height as the table allowing me to again quickly expand the table into an interesting L shape
Finally with a little more faff, I can extend the table further length ways, upto 9’ or 10’ or even slightly longer. The important thing is with a bit more space I can set up these configurations quite quickly, and although space is tight these are all reasonably accessible.

I have also managed some painting
Some additional Panzergrenadiers, who saw action last Friday.
I also found some spare Persian shields so painted them and made them into protection for any independent archers.

I now have at least two games to post up, which I will try to do during the week.

Thanks for checking by ๐Ÿ‘


23 comments:

  1. nice to see the foundation of your cool battlefields. See you at Battleground, hope you got a sub for Saturday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The magic behind the scenes…interesting if not as exciting as a battle ๐Ÿ‘

      Delete
  2. I agree with Martin. Seeing your table layout is very helpful. I like the idea of having the option for an 'L' shaped table. I don't know if you remember Empires, Eagles, and Lions Napoleonic magazine but they often played out their games on an 'L' shaped table. Very interesting how that extension can change the nature of the table. Also, by standing in the 'L' bend, the gamer has good access to a generous swath of real estate. Before I could make a similar table presentation, I would need to have a good tidy-up myself. A really good tidy-up!

    Great additions to your growing collections.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have played the L several times and it does give a different feel to the battle reducing the risk of two battle lines meeting face to face. Only tidy when it is absolutely necessary in my view ๐Ÿ™‚

      Delete
  3. Wooooow great! And beautiful Persian shields sir!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Joe more painting on the way ๐Ÿ‘

      Delete
  5. Good space, I think we saw the ‘L’ shape last year or a big ACW game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good or bad it is the space I have and I didn’t think my wife will ever let me have the dining room permanently. Yes we have played the L shaped table several times. The difference now is I can set it up much quicker.

      Delete
  6. Having been in the Dungeon I am impressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks George the tidy up continues ๐Ÿ‘

      Delete
  7. Very nice. I'm still waiting for children to move out before I can claim extra space, as apparently the two spare bedrooms we currently have are required for visitors and and grandchildren. The Persian pavise shields look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence, although I am no judge make sure it is clear where you will claim that space it makes such a difference ๐Ÿ‘

      Delete
  8. LOL - dont hold your breath Lawrence - my wife has already intimated, gthat as soon as our adult (21 and 23) children do eventually leave, she will almost immediately be looking to downsize "and there won't be room for half your soldiers and junk (mainly homemade buildings and terrain that is hardly ever used, so she has a bit of a point!) The one benefit of having no gaming area is - I don't have to tidy it up to post on my blog!
    Glad to read your final comment too Matt, I was wondering if you were intending just glossing over the recent unpleasantness in the American colonies.....!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with that Keith, we have on occasions discussed moving but I have now reached the conclusion that if we ever do move the ONLY non-negotiable will be a designated gaming space. As for the battle report I’ll try and remember what happened ๐Ÿ˜€

      Delete
  9. That's an interesting insight into the Dungeon Matt. Lots of permutations there for games.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A splendid use if available space there Matt, fine additions to the collections too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, perhaps I should spend less time thinking about such things ๐Ÿ‘

      Delete
  11. Yes I am lucky to have a designated space, it does make a huge difference and one now I don’t think I could do without and it keeps me out of the way. Of course we could all have more space but I recognise I am lucky ๐Ÿ˜€

    ReplyDelete
  12. Always interesting to see other people's spaces, like you my bench is the same height as my table, my tables are all on folding trestles so I can use it as a workshop ( I've got all my tools stored there) to work on furniture with the table tops suspended from the ceiling, I have found my covid board( made from osb board and ply ) is a bit heavy to fling about , so I'm going to replace it with a lighter 6' x 4' frame with hardboard facing which I will store with another old flush door 6' x 2' which together with my bench gives me 6' x 12' and one of the reasons I got 3 x 6' x 4' deep cut matts, sorry about that, didn't mean to go on!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do like to see fellow wargamers gaming spaces…
    You certainly have a flexible table arrangement… I don’t think things look that untidy…my room looks like a building site at the moment.

    Lovely Persian shields.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete