Monday 31 July 2023

Holiday Tour Part 1

Sorry for the lack of updates but I am finally settling back following my recent (Military history) Holiday tour through Belgium and Netherlands. One of the benefits of having a son interested in Military history and with only the two of us in the van means we didn’t need to make any of the usual holiday compromises. As a tiny bit of background we did a similar holiday about 11 years ago visiting battlefields across northern France and WW1. We had then agreed we should go again so this trip was conceived. 

Now I am conscious that a number of you following this blog are still working hard and or have many other family commitments making such a trip impossible, it is not in my nature to try and impress anybody and that is not my intention. I am sharing our trip as I know a few of you will be genuinely interested and perhaps a few will be inspired to visit some or all of the places we managed to get to.

I had 10 days away from home and we managed to do something everyday in fact it was pretty jam packed every day. 


Living in the North of England means getting to the south coast takes pretty much a whole day and I would then be picking my son up outside London. To break the journey down I visited the Imperial War Museum at Duxford. I had been before a lot of years ago. Although slightly expensive it is well worth the visit and I had a good couple of hours. For those who haven’t been to Duxford it houses the IWM collection of aircraft and planes, gives flying displays and also has one hanger devoted to the ground war. It is a very expansive site.

Plenty of spitfires on display
Some interesting armoured vehicles in the Battle of Britain section including this lovely Beaverette
Lots on show as to be expected
There is also a Cold War section
There is a separate building for the US Airforce, it’s almost impossible to capture the scale of this collection, which had everything right up to the B52 which made the Flying Fortress look small !
The building with the ground war has many many interesting items amongst them Monty’s command tank from the Desert.

After this very enjoyable diversion the next day we headed across the channel to Calais to Dunkirk.

Set back from the beach is a small and interesting Fort
I took this from an aerial photo at the small museum
You can explore both inside and outside
Accessing a number of the bunkers
Much of the was barracks for soldiers and officers
Historically the Fort was part of the defences built after the Franco-Prussian war started in 1878. By General Sere De Rivières, it has seen a fair bit of action, partly destroyed during the evacuation of the British BEF from the nearby beaches, captured by the Germans, and then held by the Germans right to the end of the war.
We also visited the beach
Walking to the Zuydcoote Battery, this was connected to the Fort and is on a similar scale
An imposing position looking over the beaches

It was once quite an impressive site but partly destroyed by bombing during WW2 it is now in pretty bad condition made colourful by the extensive graffiti

That’s it for now, next up on our tour ‘Market Garden’ but before that we have played our next ACW Shenandoah battle so I need to post that.

Thanks for checking in Matt


25 comments:

  1. Always interesting to share folks' wanderings, with a hobby related theme especially.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great hobby related photos there, most interesting. You certainly crammed a fair bit in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil some more to come and yes we were busy every day

      Delete
  3. I used to drive past Duxford and tell myself I would have to make the time to drop in. I knew it would be worthwhile, and your photos certainly prove it. Great stuff Matt, and I am really looking forward to your forthcoming Market Garden roundup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence Duxford is definitely worth a visit for those interested in military history.

      Delete
  4. Matt, great you made journey number 2, I look forward to more "men on the ground " reports.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will certainly vicariously enjoy your trip as it's highly unlikely I will be able to do one like it, if ever at all, but never say never! We used to live near Duxford and would go to the air shows now and then in the 1970's, but only ever went for one proper visit IIRC. However the planes used to form up over our village so you could see loads of incredible planes for free! The museum has changed at of all recognition since then but would like to visit again one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve…never say never ! And yes Duxford is now very large and very well organised. Massive collections and worth a visit

      Delete
  6. No need to apologize, Matt. You open up a world many of us do not often get a chance to explore. Looking forward to more of Matt and Son on Tour.

    ReplyDelete
  7. great looking holiday, see you at Scarborough

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of the things I miss most from my time serving in Germany, was the ability to get to these historical locations at what was then a relatively inexpensive trip. Of course this was during the 80's when every country still had their own currencies, so that was a bit of an issue. Is this trip more of a general historical trip or focused during any of the specific periods?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terry something I did miss was visiting Berlin when the wall was still in place and I regret not going. I will be planning some more in the next few years

      Delete
  9. Great holiday, did something similar a few years. Great to visit battlefields you normally just read about.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very interesting Matt, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem Market Garden next so you can start planning a battle with those Red Devils 👍

      Delete
  11. glad you had a good trip and saw some cool stuff. After doing all the working and family stuff you deserve some time to do fun stuff. 😁
    nice pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew ……I’ll take what I can get as I m not sure I deserve such fun 🤔

      Delete
  12. Really interesting post! Glad you had fun
    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great sounding trip, been to Duxford a couple of times, it's just up the road now, I have just realised it was 27 years since I was last year, I thought it was relatively recently!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very cool images of such historical relics, Matt. Monty's desert tank looks pristine.

    ReplyDelete