Monday, 5 October 2026

Diversion at Glass Mill : Chickamauga 1863

A second game this week in the dungeon so a quick turn around. Looking for something we could play in an evening I dipped into Brad Butkovich’s Chickamauga scenario book. This is a what if scenario as historically it was only an artillery duel before the Confederates chose to pull back. But what if Breckinridge had pushed into a full assault to try and drive away the Union 2nd Division under James S Negley. The scenario is a good size three brigades a piece with supporting artillery.

I shrunk the table down a bit so we would get into action quickly. The woods are light so give cover but don’t reduce visibility, I also ignored any movement penalty for crossing fences to get things moving. Helm’s brigade can be seen already across the Chickamauga Creek. For the Union Beatty is deployed around the farm and off in the distance Stanley’s Brigade. We would be using V&F which allows pretty quick and flexible movement.

We were straight into the action with Adam’s Brigade marching on immediately.

Beatty’s brigade around the farm house and orchard

The confederates have a numerical advantage on the table at the start so it is upto them to get stuck in before the Union reserves arrive. Their artillery opens up as well

The confederates quickly negotiate the fields and woods to get into range of the Union defenders.

Initial skirmishing as the two lines pull closer together

Unfortunately in the distance the Union 3rd Brigade under Sirwell has already arrived !

It’s now going to be a tough one but the Confederates have the numbers still, they ride their luck and charge in ?

Around the farm the battle is descending into a shooting contest, both sides firing volleys at full pace, both sides are taking casualties but not yet decisive

Across the road Stanley’s brigade is so close to breaking, but they manage to pull back behind their reserves just in time. This leaves the confederates facing a fresher Brigade and being hit from more than one direction…..the inevitable happens 

The Confederates break, Adam’s Brigade first who have taken the brunt of the fighting along the road. Helm’s brigade although technically still on the table is being cut to pieces by the Farm and only had two Regiments still fighting. The assault is over and Breckinridge concedes the day. A Union victory which will please some I’m sure. A fun battle it was close for a while but with hindsight…….The forces are too balanced for a frontal assault, should we play this again I will delay the Union reserves longer to put them under more pressure , just a bit too easy for them to sit back and wait.

No more holiday photos this time, although I have plenty !

Thanks as always for checking in on our dungeon activity.

I’m off to London next weekend so won’t be at the other Partizan. I’m sure it will be fun for those who do go…enjoy 👍

Matt ❤️


1 comment: