Wednesday 18 April 2018

A bit of fencing.....ACW

Taking a break from painting figures I have built and sorted out the fencing which came in the box. You can’t really have too much so as I had two boxes it made about 9 or so feet. I fiddled about a bit to get the fencing to have a slightly smaller foot print......as always a slight compromise between accuracy and functionality on the table top.
This is the fencing initially based on wooden strips and a bit of sand, pebbles and a few additional upright posts to give a slightly more random rustic appearance as the plastic is a little too regular to the eye.
I then sprayed the whole lot brown, painted the bases a slightly darker brown, some dry brushing, then decorated the bases with grass, bushes etc. Bob’s your uncle πŸ™‚
Here is a shot of the fencing on the table with my Union Forces to date.

Two brigades (or three small ones) some supporting artillery and cavalry. Worryingly they have been completely outflanked by the rebels in the shot 😒 need to sort that out.

The rebels have fallen slightly behind so I need another 2/3 Regiments for them. Also on the list are some skirmishers, dismounted cavalry and of course artillery limbers. The good thing is I am now in a position to let them stretch their legs as I develop the project further.

23 comments:

  1. Lovely work on fencing and figures, despite it being plastic that is! The obsession is growing I think though. Relighting Gettysburg soon? πŸ˜‰

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David.....yes bit obsessed at the moment with the blue and grey πŸ™‚

      Delete
  2. Nice job, the result is not looking like plastic, but with the advantages of consistency and ease of build that plastic brings. You have shown the way for me to get off by backside and get mine done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you just need that nudge of motivation and am happy to provide it πŸ™‚

      Delete
  3. love the fences and that's a mighty force, didn't think you had so many. Sunday is going to be massive - also found a couple of extra Union Generals

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will try and sort a scenario tonight πŸ™‚

      Delete
  4. You are correct. For ACW, you can never have too much fencing.
    Good looking result!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan this fits with my other fencing but I still bet I don’t have enough ! As far as I know hedges are not a big feature in USA ?

      Delete
  5. Nice load of fencing,I'm moving on to terrain now for a while, these have turned out really well!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain simple job really just rolling sleeves up πŸ™‚

      Delete
  6. Amazing how much stuff you get through!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking good Matt, look forward to the report of their first outing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks Michael more to come been doing some generals this evening πŸ™‚

      Delete
  9. Nice and good fences and 9 feet is a good start. Nothing says ACW like split rail fence. πŸ˜€

    ReplyDelete
  10. 9 Feet wow.
    A good start and one of the jobs that needs doing and always looks good, it's just thought of starting fencing, hence the draw full of pebbles and sticks which represent the other half of my project.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whilst not every bodies favourite these plastics do make things a bit easierπŸ˜€

      Delete
  11. Just getting my 'battle in a box' fencing together and have taken your tip of adding some wooden uprights to dampen down the plastic look. Also, like your good self, I have gone for a narrower foot print, so this has been a really useful post for me - thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm glad you found it helpful πŸ™‚

      Delete