Monday 19 July 2021

Continental Cavalry and other bits and bobs

 Seem to be busy at the moment, although I should have more time now the Tour de France has finished ! Here is a snap shot of stuff which might be of interest.

First up my first unit of cavalry for AWI these are the 3rd Continental light Dragoons in their characteristic white and blue.
Foundry figures which were easy to paint up, the banner is a bit of a botch, but I was too lazy to order one from GMB and wait, I might put an order in some time when I need few more to make the postage worthwhile. I don’t plan to have lots of cavalry but these need to be balanced by some British at some point
Next up a British Oerlikon 20 mm Autocannon, these were mainly used in naval situations but apparently some were mounted on these small tractor units as antitank weapons. As an autocannon in bolt action it will get 2 shots so will be a powerful weapon against poorly armed vehicles , not much use against German armoured tank though. It is a Warlord model
A German Kettenkrad, these were effectively an all terrain motorbike used for towing small loads. The initial versions were used by airborne troops as it fitted in a JU52 and this one will see action towing a small howitzer into action as part of a parachute unit
I said I would post up some size comparisons between the Gordon Studios Figures I ordered her is a Norwegian infantry man next to a converted warlord winter German and a crusader paratrooper. They work pretty well size wise and are nice enough sculpts. I have a couple of units of these to paint up
I also ordered a couple of Gebirgsjager from Gorgon to bulk out my small mountain force for Norway, again the size comparison is favourable I think, although my warlord Gebirgsjager are very slight in scale.
An odd bit of history I bumped into this weekend, I visited a number of family members who were staying in Scotland at a very grand house called Bemersyde, near the river tweed. Turns out it was the house the nation bought General Douglas Haig after WW1 to thank him for his service for the nation. It is still owned by the family, but is now rented out in sections as a holiday location, the tower is from 1540 or so.
It is full of interesting snippets of history, portraits
and photos
His study still has his desk as above.
I will leave it for others to decide what his contribution was to our victory in WW1, having visited the house I have read up a couple of bits and it appears the popular notion of uncaring incompetent general may not be the whole truth. Not really my period but nice to bump into some military history.
Finally a landscape shot, the weather has been crazy hot in England

Hope you are all well πŸ‘


25 comments:

  1. Fine additions Matt, the Gorgon stuff goes well, I think they were sculpted by Mike Owen.
    The landscape looks even better in the current weather, a tad warm for walking and cycling I imagine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil….you have a much better knowledge of our figure sculptors than I do ! Yes hot but I quite like it hot πŸ‘

      Delete
  2. Great work, and the helmet insignia are especially neat. Blackadder and General Melchett didn't help the image of WWI British Generals, although I can vaguely recall that characterisation had been around for quite a while before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks assuming the helmets you refer to are the paratroopers they are tiny little transfers and work really well. As to ww1 generals I’m afraid I know very little about their true quality.

      Delete
  3. Fantastic work Matt!
    Love cavalry unit the most.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Once painted and in the game differences tend to fade away so they will do fine. Interesting views of the tower and memorabilia, but as ever the landscape picture does it for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They will do for me πŸ‘ I’m taking the landscapes just for you πŸ‘

      Delete
  5. Some great figures there and I love the AutoCannon:). Crazy hot pretty much sums it up as we drove back in 33C heat yesterday which was somewhat energy sapping. Only going to get hotter over the next couple of days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hot hot hot…..but not so hot as NW America or California !

      Delete
  6. All terrific additions to your collections. Temperatures hot here as well with highs remaining in the 90sF for nearly a month. Beautiful landscape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan we Brits complain whatever the weather it is in our nature to do so πŸ˜€

      Delete
  7. Quite a eclectic group of fine miniatures, Matt. The different makes of WW2 figures match up well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean yes the new Norwegians will do for me πŸ‘

      Delete
  8. Nice autocannon and kettenkrad! The figures all look like they would work well together, lovely cavalry ,still not entirely convinced about Haig, in spite of the many apologists!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, I’m afraid my knowledge of WW1 generals is poorly informed so I’m not making any judgements πŸ€”

      Delete
  9. Those dragoons are fine additions

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely looking toys as always Matt…
    A very nice looking holiday let…. Was it a Landmark Trust property?
    The only time I seem to see the British countryside these days is in your photos …😁
    Keep up the good work old chap…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly if you google Bemersyde it comes up it is a private holiday let as far as I know it still belongs to the Haig family but has for the last 3 years been used as a commercial property. We were only visiting my relatives for the day but it was indeed grand beyond expectations. Expensive, although actually when you look at the total capacity which I believe is about 20 it becomes remarkably reasonable for a week. You need three families who all want to go on holiday together for a week ?

      Delete
  11. Nice looking figures and its always fun to kinda bump into history. πŸ˜€

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew…especially military history πŸ‘

      Delete
  12. Great looking additions and the Norwegians look nice too. The tower is a typical Border Reiver type building....lovely style of architecture.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I want to appreciate Dr WHITE for the restoration of my marriage with his spell casting after 1 year of separation with my wife ,with the help of the great spell caster Dr
    WHITE my wife return home and now we are happily together for good, once again thanks to Dr WHITE He also cure all kinds of sickness and such as
    1 LOVE SPELL
    2 WIN EX BACK
    3 FRUIT OF THE WOMB
    4 PROMOTION SPELL
    5 PROTECTION SPELL
    6 BUSINESS SPELL
    7 GOOD JOB SPELL
    8 HIV AIDS
    LOTTERY SPELL and COURT CASE SPELL Contact him for your help via:
    Email: wightmagicmaster@gmail.com

    WhatsApp:+17168691327

    ReplyDelete
  14. My man is finally back to me with the help of a prophet
    I was in pain in my relationship with my lover he left me because another woman use Chaim's on him,I tell my friend about the issue I was having with my lover that he doesn't want me anymore and I love him so much and ready to do anything to get him close to me,my friend advice me to consult a spiritual prophet that has been helping her,she gave me the great man's number +2347033074122 to contact him and I did,I was so surprised that the next day he called and apologized that I should forgive him,i forgive him because I love him so much.
    Thank you prophet for helping me get back my lover back am grateful for your help
    If your relationship or marriage is not working the way you want it contact him on whatsapp or call him for help now +2347033074122
    email drodogwusolutioncenter@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete