Thursday 1 June 2023

Napoleonic Commanders and British Hussars

I have been working away in the background on the Peninsular Napoleonics to try and keep the growing ‘lead pile’ under control. Here are the fruits of my labour 

French officer, he will play most likely as a General de Brigade, think he is a Warlord figure
Uxbridge, but will most likely play as a Cavalry Brigade commander or perhaps army commander in smaller battles, he is Perry
A Portuguese brigade commander, Warlord figure I quite like the fact that the British have only given him a tiny horse presumably making him the butt of British jokes ?
…and some British light cavalry 18th Hussars I think. Did they ever really wear 14” hats on campaign probably not but they look splendid. They came second hand from a show with the bits removed from the sprues, and it was only when I came to put them together I realised they didn’t have their carbines. So don’t look too closely at the cut down muskets they have.

Day three of our Sicily trip
Capo Murro di Porco
Now a protected nature reserve but in WW2 these were I believe Italian army quarters.
Perhaps of more interest this is the site of the Lamba Doria gun battery which was captured by the British SAS under Paddy Maine on day one of the Sicily invasion
Crumbling a bit now fairly overgrown (and slightly unnerving as I had seen quite a large snake in the nature reserve)
But you can still make out the main structures and climb down if you wish 
On the drive back to Syracuse we stopped at the Ponte Grande bridge, replaced by a newer bridge but a small plaque commemorates the location. Captured by British glider troops again on day one of the invasion although later lost I think.
One of two trips into Syracuse itself the Temple of Apollo on Ortigia, which was an island back in 400 BC but now linked by two bridges. The whole Ortigia area was preferably to the rest of the city which was very impressive
…and at the end of the promontory Castello Maniace, although it was shut for some reason we didn’t really have time to visit anyway but a very impressive structure, the main structure built by Frederick II in around 1240 to protect the port of Syracuse.

More stuff to come of the Napoleonic production line soonish 

Thanks as always

Matt



28 comments:

  1. Matt, an impressive job on that tiger skin in photo 2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm, don’t look too close though 👍

      Delete
  2. Very nice, especially the commanders

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matt, you are making swift progress on your Napoleonic cavalry. Your photo of the lighthouse under the heavy, leaden sky is superb. The photo conveys isolation and solitude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon , actually these Hussars were tougher to paint than expected and took a while…the Dragoons coming next should be easier. This was one of the few cloudy days we had , we were certainly on our own on the rocks below the lighthouse

      Delete
  4. Nice additions to the forces Matt. As usual I enjoyed the holiday snaps too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice job all around. Is that really a tiger hide on that guys horse? Crazy. Was that a thing back then?

    Pretty vacation pics too. I like that you include at least one pic with yourself. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew….yes he has been sculpted with a Tiger rug. As to the selfie these are mainly taken to share with the kids back at home….I do like a good selfie 🙂

      Delete
  6. Fine additions to the Napoleonic project. Great holiday shots it's nice to see parts we didn't get to visit on our trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil….the benefit of a hire car gave us the option to travel about quite a bit 👍

      Delete
  7. Lovely stuff Matt and, as others have said, you have nailed the tiger skin. More great Sicilian photos, and I really like the one of the temple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence….a lot of history on Sicily around every corner

      Delete
  8. Really lovely work on those command figures Matt:). It would be nice to see some of the areas I've gamed for Sicily '43 in real life, just to get a better idea of the terrain etc, such as Ponte Grande.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice officers Matt. Also nice pics of Sicily, we were car less and went to Syracuse on the excellent rail system.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some lovely Napoleonic figures and also views of Sicily, which I doubt I will ever visit now - should have done all that European tourism in the first 25 years of my life when I still lived in the UK - but I thought I had plenty time to do it "later"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith….I guess never say never although I guess it is a long way, a great place for a holiday 👍

      Delete
  11. Great looking figures, nice personification of various attributes. Sometimes the slow burn projects are the most satisfying. If you need any more bits from the Perry British Huzzar box, let me know. Great vacation photos as well. Some very cool lighting for the locations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe, the Napoleonics are coming along pretty well as long as I keep my focus. Thanks for the offer, now these guys are together I should be ok. If I do get any more Hussars I will be checking. But more likely to get Light Dragoons

      Delete
  12. Great looking Napoleonics command and hussars and useful photos of Sicily, this is odd as I would have sworn I saw I'd posted this yesterday!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain I am pretty sure you did too I remember seeing an email so not sure why it has disappeared ?

      Delete
  13. Splendid new toys Matt…
    The big hatted hussars are lovely… I can’t imagine what it would be like charging around with such majestic headgear though.

    All the best Aly

    ReplyDelete