For what is likely to be my last game for a while George came up to the dungeon. He had suggested something medieval so I dug out my Al Andalus Arabs. As the table was still covered in the Sicily cloths I was a bit lazy and left them in place having simply reduced the hills to something manageable. So perhaps the battle was being fought in a particularly dry part of Southern Spain between two minor Taifas fighting it out for control of their border district.
The two forces were broadly similar but with suitable variations to give more interest. A dry river bed crosses the battlefield at one end, but the most prominent feature is the high ground which angles across the plain.
Having formed up in front of each other both armies advance fairly quickly looking for a quick and decisive win, my force to the right rushes to try and gain the advantage of the high ground with light cavalry protecting the flank
The enemy have hired some mercenary heavy cavalry and crossbow men to support them !
Well objective achieved we have the high ground but can we hold it. Both sides spend some time exchanging missile fire
Under fire from the crossbows two small troops of warriors run down the hill to sort them out !, my camel riders sweep across the high ground hoping to quickly break the enemy centre ?
Despite the difficultly of charging up the hill the mercenaries charge in against my light cavalry, along the rest of the high ground infantry clash spears.
At the far end of the battlefield and beyond the dry river light cavalry has been skirmishing for much of the battle
Things are not going well ! The mercenary heavy cavalry have driven off my left flank, infantry is still fighting in the centre but the camels have been held and are being whittled down each turn
After a couple more turns it is clear the battle is up as the death toll on my side is rising quickly, and many of the troops on my side are wavering (in KoW this means you miss a turn of combat and is critical at this late stage of a battle) the enemy commander is packing up his dice happy with the land grab !
My camel troops surrounded on the high ground nothing left but to flee for their lives ! Where did it all go wrong ?
A fun battle, for a while it was going quite well, had the camels broken through it might have been a different story. Always nice to get this colourful collection on the table, there are more in the ‘lead pile’ both Arabs and Norman/spanish this battle might just encourage me to prep up a unit to paint ?
Thanks for popping by, this is likely to be my last post for a while as i start my trip on Monday.
Matt ❤️
Another lovely looking clash of colourful armies Matt - George would have been a happy man! Have a great trip you lucky so and so - looking forward to reading all about it!
ReplyDeleteThanks Keith certainly a colourful period. Interestingly this post appears to have published almost immediately ? The previous Sicily one was delayed perhaps some blogger improvements
DeleteI do enjoy seeing these armies clash. Have a wonderful trip.
ReplyDeleteThanks Michael 👍
DeleteI, too, always enjoy seeing your Reconquista armies take to the field. Enjoy your travels and report from the road if you can.
ReplyDeleteThanks Jon a fine period to game, not sure I’ll be posting as I go that is a bit too indulgent for me. But I will do some sort of summary after the event.
DeleteAlways a pleasure to see the Al Andalus collection hit the table. Have a good trip I shall look forward to viewing some of your photos.
ReplyDeleteThanks Phil as I’ve planned the trip around military and Roman history I guess I’ll have some pictures when I get back 🤔
DeleteA colourful game enlivened by your AAR. Good Luck on the trip, have fun!
ReplyDeleteThanks David…….the trip is after all a ‘holiday’ so I’m hoping to chill a bit as well ?
DeleteExcellent looking game, sounds like fun, have a great trip!
ReplyDeleteBest Iain
Thanks Iain certainly fun 👍
DeleteLooking fantastic Matt !
ReplyDeleteThanks Michal 🙂
DeleteBeautiful stuff and the table does look completely transformed. Enjoy the trip and I'll look forward to the forthcoming posts.
ReplyDeleteThanks Lawrence, the battlefield certainly flatter than Sicily !
DeleteGreat looking battle who makes the camels and what rules did you use?
ReplyDeleteMany thanks the camels were from irregular miniatures who sadly ceased operating not long ago, converted using gripping beast plastic Arab riders. The rules we tend to use are Kings of War Historical, very flexible across periods and they are easy to handle.
DeleteSuper looking game Matt, a really lovely collection too.
ReplyDeleteThank Donnie, nice of course when a project reaches this stage and you can fill the table with colourful figures
DeleteEnjoyable game Matt, the victor’s version will be out soon “there’s thousands of ‘em”.
ReplyDeleteThanks George, I thought for a while my guys were doing well then somewhere it went to pieces ?
DeleteGreat looking encounter
ReplyDeleteThanks Neil 👍
DeleteGreat looking battle with excellent figures and terrain, as always!
ReplyDeleteThanks Dean a pleasure to play and share on the blog 👍
DeleteAlways lovely and the rules always deliver (though I find them overly brutal!) enjoy your break ..... a bit cooler than your last :-)
ReplyDeleteThanks Norm, brutal they are but they work for me.
DeleteA nice way to finish off your gaming before heading away on your hols:)! We've just come back from Austria and it's forecast to get up to 35C later next week!
ReplyDeleteThanks Steve, I’m heading to France then Italy so we’ll see how things go weather wise ?
DeleteAlways an enjoyment to see & read the AAR....Dice, why did it have to be dice! Have a great trip!
ReplyDeleteThanks Terry I love the dice 👍
DeleteDitto all of the above; it looked wonderful and the figs are excellent.
ReplyDeleteI love that you say "you were a bit lazy" with the terrain and then it looks superb, complete with beautiful buildings, an oasis and vignettes!
Best wishes, James