After all the muskets and smoke over the last few weeks it felt like time to throw some spears. With the weather set fine on Saturday a big game was in order. We have played a Platea scenario before and as it gave a good close game I thought it would fit the bill. The benefit over some other famous Persian battles eg Marathon is Platea allows a much wider range of troops (sadly no elephants though) and has the huge bonus of getting all the various Greeks on the table. So on Saturday we went big in the shed.
The Persians on the left, split into three groups, in the distance the main Persian army led by Mardonius are facing off against the Spartans who have become separated from the rest of the Greek forces. In the middle mixed Persian allies and troops from their many satraps, these face mixed Greek allies. Finally in the foreground Greeks who have sided with the Persians including the Thebans are facing off against the Athenians and their closest allies. Pausanias is the Overall commander of the Greeks and specifically the Spartans. The Spartans are unable to move until the correct omens have been received from the gods. Whilst the forces are broadly equal in infantry, the Persians have significant cavalry as well, the Persians as to be expected have a different balance of forces focussed mainly on archers.
The Persians and their allies advance to get into bow range
The Athenians push upto the river
And both sides skirmishers engage in frantic fighting
All along the line arrows are ranging down on the Greeks,
Finally after sacrificing six sheep the gods say the Spartans can join the battle (I had a simple mechanism for this the Spartans needing a double six but getting an extra dice each turn)
The Persians have been firing at the Spartans who have just been hiding under their shields
With the Spartans now entering the battle, the Thebans decide to get stuck into the Athenians, but the attack falters crossing the river
The Spartans push forward but have several more rounds of arrows before they can get to the weakly armed Persians
Blocks of Hoplites thrust at each other over the river
Ouch…eventually the Spartans crash into Persians this is not going to end well
After some really tough fighting the Athenians get the better of the Thebans in a very close fight
In the centre the Persian allies are winning have beaten back the bulk of the Greek allies
And not surprisingly, now they are stuck into the fight, the Spartans are making fairly light work of the lightly armoured Persians. So overall the battle has gone to the Greeks. History has been repeated and the future of western civilisation has been saved. In 2500 years we will all be able to sit and watch Love Island thanks goodness 😂 a fine and very fun battle which played out very close.
Well that’s it for now and no planned battles for this week so a rest at least and a chance to tidy up a bit.
Thanks as always for taking the time to pass through the blog.
Matt ❤️
Fantastic battle, always good to see the spear chuckers
ReplyDeleteThanks Martin this is a battle we played in the past 👍
DeleteStop throwing those, sorry wrong period, thanks for saving western civilisation again, looks great too!
ReplyDeleteBest Iain
Thanks Iain , actually I was rooting for the Persians 🤔
DeleteBrilliant looking battle, Matt! Loved the down range photos of the battle lines closing. I vaguely recall fighting this one out with you on a grid. Thank you for saving Western Civ. Looks like you may have only delayed the inevitable. Say, I received a captcha notice when replying. Weird.
ReplyDeleteThanks Jon, in those quiet moments I sometimes like looking back at those ‘big’ Wargames 🙂 the security things seems to have switched off again now at this end ?
DeletePerfect looking figures and terrain Matt. The Spartans sacrifice was not in vain. Love Island keeps their traditions alive.
ReplyDeleteChris/Nundanket.
Thanks Chris, from what I’ve read I suspect Darius may have been more of a Love Island fan than the Spartans !
DeleteSuperb looking game Matt
ReplyDeleteThanks Neil 👍
DeleteCracking looking game Matt, really looks good.
ReplyDeleteThanks Donnie 👍
DeleteGreat stuff Matt, I always look forward to your sword and sandals. This one is truly epic indeed! My feed says this was posted 18 hours ago and as only appeared on my feed since lunch time is it a record?
ReplyDeleteThanks Phil, we got as much as we could reasonably on the table, no camels or elephants though 🙁 yes it looks like a delay from when I posted but it did arrive in the end
DeleteGreat looking game as always Matt 👌
ReplyDeleteThanks Michal 👍
DeleteSuitably ‘stabby’ Matt…
ReplyDeleteVery pretty indeed… I’m glad Western Civilisation has been saved to give us all the wonders we have today 😁
Especially toy soldiers 🤣
All the best. Aly
Thanks Aly, nothing like a bit of ‘spear chucking’ in the sand 👍
DeleteIf the Spartans had known how civilisation would turn out I think they would probably have just gone home thinking what is the point. A beautiful game and a neat mechanism for bringing the Spartans into action.
ReplyDelete😂 thanks Lawrence indeed , western civilisation these days is not very ‘spartan’
DeleteSome lovely figures in action there Matt - I am not entirely convinced we are better off for having the Persians prevented from moving West...... they knew a lot of sh1t!
ReplyDeleteThanks Keith, had the Persians won who knows, no Greek civilisation , then perhaps no Romans as so on …..?
DeleteWargaming at its best, great report Matt. And the invaders repulsed for a change.
ReplyDeleteThanks George a fun battle indeed 👍
DeleteTruly epic stuff Matt and I am still chortling at the Love Island comment.
ReplyDeleteThanks Michael, a fun battle…..chortle away 😂
DeleteA splendid set too spoiled only by the absence of Hefalumps! I always really enjoy seeing your ancient games!
ReplyDeleteThanks David hopefully we will see some elephants on the battlefield soon ?
DeleteSplendid game there Matt, although a period I've always struggled to find any interest in. The 'Love Island' comment did make me chuckle:)!
ReplyDeleteThanks Steve, we all have our favourite periods I guess I have quite a few I do like ancients of various flavours 👍
DeleteA fabulous re-fight of an epic historic battle. So many highlights in your lovely photos, but the hoplite v hoplite mêlée across the river is best of the best for mine.
ReplyDeleteLike others I had not realised the direct lineage to 'Love Island'. Amazing what you learn!
Best wishes, James
Many thanks James, one of the benefits of Platea is the wide range of troop types as pure hoplite vs hoplite battles whilst interesting in themselves can be by nature fairly limiting. Here the Theban vs Athenian battle was very close !
Delete