Monday 8 June 2020

AWI Militia (at last) and how I can surprise myself with my own stupidity πŸ™‚

Sometimes units just take longer than you think, these AWI militia have been one such unit, not sure if it is the fact that I have painted each figure a different colour or whether in hindsight I painted too many i now realise there are enough figures for two smaller units. Of course that is all to the good as they are done now ! David thank you for the flag I hope the bearer has strong arms coz it is a big one ! but I have hopefully put it to good use πŸ™‚ (I will need a different storage box)
North Carolina Militia AWI

As for my stupidity you ask....well you’ll see that I have based these on individual 20 mm bases, this allows me to use them ranked as shown or in many smaller combinations, this will hopefully get them on the table sooner as with a couple of regular Regiments we will be able to play Rebels and Patriots rather than wait for massed battles. The bases are magnetised so they (nearly) neatly fit on my standard 40 mm bases, conveniently it means I can change flags easily as well. 

I am getting to the stupid bit....so I carefully spent an evening cutting out the pieces of magnet sheet to put on the bases sticking them on with glue and trimming them...all good I went to bed. Next evening I come to paint the edges and find they haven’t stuck properly in fact they haven’t stuck at all ? Ok I need different glue, I carefully pull them all off not that hard as they haven’t stuck and reapply with superglue that’s sorted then !next evening I come to paint the edges a second time  and they haven’t stuck ! It is only at this point that  with further investigation I realise that the magnet sheet I have has a backing paper and they are already self-adhesive sheet !!!!!!!! replacing them this way only took 5 minutes πŸ€ͺ we learn most from our mistakes I believe.

28 comments:

  1. Our mistakes make us progress! 😊...Well done, splendid militia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil....I have learnt my lesson πŸ‘

      Delete
  2. The individual look is superbly executed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm.........very flexible so hopefully they will get on the table soon

      Delete
  3. Splendid looking unit and oops. 🀣

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Neil.......hopefully some action for them soon

      Delete
  5. To err is human, I know someone who did similar with a LBMS banner and it wasn't meπŸ˜‰
    A fine looking unit though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fine work, nicely enhanced by the man sized flag! None of these pokey little rags in my book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the carrier has strong arms if the wind blows he will struggle

      Delete
  7. Great looking troops, Matt. As for the the magnetic basing, all is well that ends well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice looking unit. Obviously the troops were messing with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wargaming gods were laughing at my ineptitude πŸ˜€

      Delete
  9. Your militia look fab, Matt! As for hobby misadventures, we all have them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to get some Rebels done.......now just some units to put together

      Delete
  10. That IS a big flag. Better for the Brits yo see who they are messing with! Nice painting. πŸ˜€

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The biggest I have, but yes it will be a good target for British artillery πŸ‘

      Delete
  11. Great looking rebels,nice flag and we've all done it or something similar!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice looking unit.
    I love that magnetic paper, I use in in conjunction with 'fridge magnet' material sabot bases.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Could you tell us please, what company brand are these militia men from ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi thanks for looking the Militia are mainly Wargames Foundry but there might be a few Perry mixed inπŸ‘

      Delete