Wednesday 11 October 2023

Epic Cavalry and my preferred option for spears/standards

Still spending a fair bit of time painting while the final lurgy lingers on. I have several units on the go at the moment but this Epic ECW cavalry got finished first.

I know there has been quite a bit of discussion about the quality of these figures. Firstly I thought it would be nice to paint a classic ECW ‘Roundhead’ cavalry unit. They paint up fairly quickly but the sculpts do lack something. Firstly in a number of areas they lack clear definition, something you don’t see on the infantry. Secondly the poses are a little strange although when they are mixed together I don’t think they look too bad. Most annoyingly the sculpts especially from the front have areas which are ‘blocked out’ the most obvious of these being where the reins are badly moulded.
Here they are lined up so you can make up your own minds.
Of course as 13.5 mm figures this is what they look like from a couple of feet.

Secondly for this post Norm had mentioned on his blog buying some sharp metals spears, I have had a number of these in the past and have been hurt several times. So ages ago I decided to look for another option. After checking other blogs etc brush bristles were suggested as an alternative and I have been using these ever since.
It is probably a lifetime supply and they can be used both for spears, pikes or flag poles.
If you are interested I can’t remember where I got it but here are the details
Here is a random figure to show the advantage , they are fairly rigid
But unlike other plastic spears they are not brittle and bend significantly, they do have a break point but as you can see this is hard to actually reach in normal handling.

So that’s it for now, I’m working on another ECW Infantry unit and some British dragoons are getting close to completion as well. both will likely be done by the weekend.

Thanks as always for checking in

Matt 😀


25 comments:

  1. The figures do look a tad iffy close up but as tokens in a game at three feet they will do. You have made a good job of them regardless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip on the spears Matt, I will definitely be moving to them.

    I am finding two problems with the Epic, the first you identify, which makes the actual painting of them unsatisfactory because of some aspects of the moulding ..... but once done, as a collective unit, they look fine taking the 3' rule into account.

    But that leads to my second issue, I spend quite a lot of time painting detail in the figure, but once down, that detail simply vanishes and you end up with shapes (which I rather think is the whole point of mass), rather than individual soldiers, which is the bit that brings me a bit of joy.

    I think the only solution is to find a painting style that stops one getting bogged down on any detail and really just paint these for effect and get them banged out, but discovering that painting discipline is easier said than done - for me at least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your thoughts Norm, I am certainly adopting a quick and simple style, i understand exactly what you mean re each soldier having an identity which is where I think 28’s are much better.

      Delete
  3. They look great Matt and I can't really discern the issues you are referring to, even when the pictures are enlarged. Is it that the left and right reins are moulded as one big rein, or is there no space between the reins and the horses neck? I must admit I do like painting as much detail as I can even if it is not readily visibly, and am not sure how I'd go with too much compromise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence, on some of the cavalry the reins have been moulded too far apart and because of the moulding process and yes they are joined across the back of the horses neck. This is really just poor sculpting and unnecessary which given the experience and quality of many warlord figures is odd. But they look fine if you paint some colour between the reins ?

      Delete
  4. Many others have made similar comments on the EPIC cavalry. Their solution is to buy cavalry figures from other manufacturers. I think yours look good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon I’m going to paint all the plastics I have and then explore some metal alternatives, I think they will look fine en mass

      Delete
  5. Nicely done Matt. I agree with your comments on the epic cavalry. I've found mixing other manufacturers helps with the look

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look fine at gaming distance and that is all that should matter to us. Too much angst wasted on somethings we simply don't see when playing does us no good. I think they look very acceptable for little chaps! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David certainly when they are in a full force battle you won’t notice then fact I haven’t painted the buttons !

      Delete
  7. Think these have turned out well in spite of your reservations!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, I’m happy with the way they have turned out and will look fine en mass

      Delete
  8. They look the part, especially at 3ft. I also use pvc bristles from a brush, saves on the acupuncture. See you soon

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking good Matt…
    Although you can pick out the ‘design oddities’ when the unit is looked at in isolation…I reckon when they are on the table with all their friends and enemies you will just see pretty toys…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly……I’m happy with how they have come out 👍

      Delete
  10. I already made my comment on the Epic cavalry in an earlier post (by mistake!) I referenced what Scotty said about his experience with them - they look ok but not great! (the sculpts, not the painting :))
    Our mate Andrew has been using stiff brush bristles for spears etc for years - it is a very good solution, and they are also often more "in scale" than plastic or metal mouldings.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great looking Epic figures, Matt. I see a few folks are working on these and they all look great too. If I didn't have a lot of ECW already in 28mm, I would join in! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean….certainly if I had 28’s I wouldn’t be starting a new project but they are excellent value and a nice scale for larger ECW battles

      Delete