Friday 20 October 2023

Every cloud has a silver lining …….

Well the silver lining to my frustratingly slow recovery is loads more time to paint soldiers. I have also been able to do quite a bit of preparation work so several more units are now in the painting queue.
First up some Peninsular British Light Dragoons
Two shots of these, Perry Miniatures one of the benefits of these boxed sets is you get 14 figures and effectively two sets of riders and I discovered Perry sell the horses separately so I now have another unit to paint in a slightly later uniform.
The first of some additional French command bases, again Perry figures, these are the heavy cavalry divisional commanders.
Fairly randomly I also had a Confederate cannon needing finishing off.
And finally off the painting table some more epic ECW infantry. The purple colours are vaguely historical although it is clear that few if any of the regiments were ‘uniform’ in appearance 
and a blue unit. I’m really enjoying painting these which can be done quite quickly as long as you don’t worry too much about the detail.

The downside of still being stuck indoors is I have spent far too much time thinking about hobby stuff and this inevitably leads to purchasing more figures !! This in part to cheer me up after my illness. Even my wife thought this would be a good idea although I didn’t tell her how much I was spending 😀

A fairly large box of Perry figures arrived in the post, a real mix of artillery, command packs and some Portuguese.
Too much time on my hands so I have also been on eBay as well…….french drummers to fill in other units, some may get careful head swops.
Some nice warlord Grenadiers, 25 figures and only one broken bayonet. No rush for these but with the other Grenadiers I will eventually be able to field a Guards ‘reserve’ Brigade.
I also purchased a bunch of these to help with wound marking

So keeping busy and enjoying my extra hobby time

Thanks for checking by Matt

28 comments:

  1. That's quite a bundle of figures you've picked up, look forward to seeing them painted up as part of your recovery. Nice to see more additions to your Epic ECW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neil I can’t say it was an impulse buy as I have spent about two months thinking about what I wanted. More epic will be coming along soonish

      Delete
  2. Down but not out there Matt, most productive on the painting and purchasing fronts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still struggling on and certainly improving but every time I think I’m better I start coughing again!

      Delete
  3. Good to see that your illness has not tamped down your painting enthusiasm; nor wallet-busting binge! Great work, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A box from the Perry's would cheer anybody up - good choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have spent such a long time on their web site over the last month or so ! It will take me a while to paint it all up.

      Delete
  5. Some very nasty viruses around this year, but good to see you getting some painting done. I'm just doing Brooke's regiment at the moment which was an excuse to break out my purple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence…no great mystery in my choice as I am using the epic flags which come in the box set and Brooke’s was the next one down the list 😀

      Delete
  6. A lovely mix of different figures Matt - I really like your Epic infantry - they look like you did plenty of detail to me - great work (as are all the others, of course!). That is also an impressive amount of spending - hopefully you have a separate wargaming slush fund where your wife cant see the amounts going out to the Perrys et al!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith…I’m finding the epic infantry at least quite fun to paint and deliberately not getting too fussy on the detail, but they come out nicely I think. Luckily I’m a frustratingly frugal spender and my wife scoffs at my spending especially when it takes me weeks to decide. She has no such hang ups on spending money !

      Delete
  7. I empathize with you on recovery times, it's an aging thing I've been told...quite depressing. Nice work on the new additions. Oh, it's a proven fact that buying hobby stuff aids recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very frustrating but I have managed a good deal of painting 👍

      Delete
  8. Matt, quite a mix there. The dragoons look splendid and the box of Perry boxes looks like a treasure chest to me!

    I have just done a unit of Prussian Uhlans in the Epic ….. and am about to give up on them! To console myself, I have moved onto a 28mm Perry French 6pdr and crew!

    Glad to see you picking up, I got into week 3 with mine before things started to turn a corner. I went for my Covid jab and got it, but they refused the flu jab, saying that with me fighting the lurgy, it would overload my system - Nurse said there is a ton of persistent stuff going around at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm, variety is the spice as they say, I certainly would t wish this bug on anybody !

      Delete
  9. That's quite a mix of lovely painted figures Matt. And you can't get a better medicine to aid recovery, in buying more goodies. Especially when getting a nod from the Mrs to do it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry to hear you're still under the weather, but it seems you have hopefully turned a corner on the road to recovery. Being ill or busy at work does tend to lead to retail therapy purchases, as I know to my cost! Lovely work across all your projects and I find that I keep my 10mm painting quite basic as I simply can't spot the details once they are more than arms length away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve …strangely I have found my painting technique is about the same for all scales just with a bit less detail ?

      Delete
  11. Matt, sorry about your continued illness. The silver lining is the output of so many cool models. The dragoons, the artillery piece and the epic units are all great additions.
    Also good to see new projects in the pipeline. I hope some of them get finished when you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cracking toys Matt…
    This current lurgy is a persistent beast … everyone at work appears to have it… including me 😳.
    The cough is bad enough but I am also knackered…
    I think painting toy soldiers is probably the best medicine so I will endeavour to follow your example and dose myself up…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly, do hope you shake the bug off quickly as it has been a real pain in more ways than one. Hopefully I can continue the painting progress 🙂

      Delete
  13. Impressive work all around, Matt! Hope you return to full health soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hopefully you will be fully recovered soon, lovely varied work, although I do of course admire your heavy cavalry command! I tend to lurk a long time on the Perry site, working out what I want and do of course have to spend £200 in order to get free postage? I'm mean think of the money I'm saving 🤔!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  15. Diversified and superb Matt, love the ECW infantry, very impressive!

    ReplyDelete