Thursday 31 August 2017

The Moors : Islamic Crossbowmen

I don't want anybody to think I paint a unit every evening, I tend to have several units on the go at once but every now and then several get completed around the same time. Such is the case with these crossbowmen. Pretty happy with these and with only 8 their costumes are slightly more decorated.
 There are only eight of them ideal for saga but can be used at a stretch for Lion Rampant and other small scale skirmish games.
I then thought it would be a good time to take a photo of the developing Moorish/Islamic Army to date...a mixture of colourful swords men, intimidating spearmen and missile troops. I do have a couple more spearmen units to complete but they aren't prep yet. I'll take votes on whether to do more dark colours or colourful units ? I have some Turcopole mercenary archers a small unit of camels but at some point some nice gripping beast cavalry will be needed. Nice to see them developing into a force which could see action on the table soonish πŸ˜€

18 comments:

  1. Nice job there Matt, regarding colours a bit of each I would think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil...I' m going to dig out the spare units and see how many I have. I may not decide till I actually get the brushes out πŸ™‚

      Delete
  2. I love BTD's Warriors of Islam range and the crossbowmen are especially good. Your brushwork really makes them look splendid. I like your patterns on the robes. Great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep nice figures and I agree the crossbow figures are slightly better sculpts than the others....thanks for you kind comments re the cloth.....I may go back to the previous figures and add a bit more detail.

      Delete
  3. cool, always wanted a Moor army

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martin, if you collect ECW and raise a Yorkshire militia, or the like, you could probably call them a Moors army.

      ...I'll get me coat!

      Delete
  4. Pah, men in skirts! Real men wear bear skins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Technically trousers ........and nobody wears bearskin in the desert πŸ˜€

      Delete
  5. Great to see the unit to date and what a fabulous sight they are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ....needs some cavalry and camels now πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

      Delete
  6. Nice work Matt! Colourful always gets my vote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David....still undecided on the next unit I'll get them prepared and then decide πŸ™‚

      Delete
  7. Nice unit, mix and match I'd say.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain I am in the process of preparing the next units and will decide when they are made up .....πŸ™‚

      Delete
  8. Your Islamic crossbowmen are colorful and beautiful, well done Matt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil...the colours are pretty random, I just seem to make them up when I sit down to paint πŸ˜€

      Delete