Monday 20 November 2017

An introduction to SAGA

I am also catching on on blogs a bit. I have been introducing a new wargamer to a range of different games over the last few months, playing something different and expanding his knowledge and hopefully enthusiasm. So far so good we have played a range of games and our latest game saw him being introduced to Saga. I am keen to get him to a point where we can play with my Crescent and Cross collection but the earlier boards are considerably easier to play so we played a Viking Vs Saxon game. After a brief intro we set to...nothing to serious but a fun game involving rolling dice and a glass or two of wine. I didn’t take masses of photos.
The overall set up, six points each side....
The Saxons prepare to defend their village against the invaders
The Vikings advance down the left avoiding the Saxon archers
In the end though the Saxons win through..
I haven’t put him off yet 😀

16 comments:

  1. A wonderful table, great atmosphere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. With a table like that, who could resist?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve my new gamer does seem reasonable keen 🙂

      Delete
  3. Great pics, toys and a fine looking table, what's not to like. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great atmoshere! Feel dark ages on the photos :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michal....I think I need a few more though as I seem to keep rolling out the same stuff !

      Delete
  5. Good times. Good time to start learning the game with version 2 just around the corner?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure about version 2 I hope it isn’t just a way of generating income..the current rules aren’t that problematic, although they can always be developed .

      Delete
  6. Nice table, shame about the rules though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well as you know the dungeon offers a broad church of experience gnomes and Saga 🙂

      Delete
  7. If you ever bring SAGA down to Scruton (and can secure for me an invite), I'll happily let you introduce me to the game!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would always be happy to share a game Roy, and when my life settles down (if ever) I would like to get back to the Old Guard

      Delete
  8. Lovely looking village and figures, keep meaning to try SAGA sometime (in my pile of rules gathering dust! )
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not everyone’s cup of tea, basic rules easy to learn but hard to master, the activation process adds a unique strategic element without in my view loosing the essence of wargaming.😀

      Delete