Saturday 17 April 2021

3rd New York : AWI

Quick post on the next completed unit for the American War Independence. These are painted as the 3rd New York I think. I am still just using flags which I have so they are not correct.

These were the second to last unit of metals I pick up in the same job lot back at York show, mainly Perry miniatures but a couple of foundry. The lace trim on a few hats was a late addition as the unit was looking a bit drab. This is partly as I have a new stock of Agrax Earthshade which annoyingly is slightly darker than previous batches.
The weather remains nice and I am determined to be proactive using my Fridays off so yesterday I was back in the hills. Looking south over Derwent Water (the lake)
The bigger hill to the left is Skiddaw
Visited in the morning by the RAF training flight who use this valley to practice their low level flying, the second plane is about 300 yards behind the first, right at the bottom of the tree line.  I am definitely no expert but think they fly Tornadoes from their base in Southern  Scotland.

Thanks for looking....currently preparing some Perry Hessians for painting and they have been a real pain !😥


23 comments:

  1. Lovely looking AWI unit,they look lovely! Nice photos, I'm afraid I can't help with modern aircraft identification!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain I believe they train on tornadoes, but they are really quick !

      Delete
  2. Another superb looking regiment

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice. Having planes fly below you is very cool

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks the trick is getting your brain to look well ahead of the sound wave, which strangely takes experience 👍

      Delete
  4. Nice AWI regiment and Lake District pics. When we were there about six years ago, we took the ferry on Lake Windermere and on the return journey two RAF jets screamed over us at about 100 feet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith. We do see they quite often this is not my closest encounter but that is another story and one I wasn’t quick enough to photo 🤔

      Delete
  5. Stunning landscapes, Matt! Seeing the fighters fly over the lake at a low level reminds me of a related story that happened to me. Actually, I have TWO storied related to low-level training runs.

    Your New Yorkers look fab. I would not worry about different shades of color. Colors were not fast and typically made from different sources. Uniforms, equipment, and skin can get dirty at different rates. I like the mixed look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Jonathan...the Hessians are finally ready for painting ! The RAF fly quite often in the valleys of the lakes so not infrequent sightings. Occasionally very close !

      Delete
  6. Fine looking fellows and locality shots.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another lovely looking unit Matt and personally I'm not fussed if the flags are wrong. Great photos of your local scenery once again and the low flying reminds me of a visist to a friend near Brecon where the RAF used to fly up the valley rather low, which always looked cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve...they perhaps have picked up the flag from a fallen comrade ? Our ‘local’ RAF base is at spadeadam in the borders so they often use the Lake District valleys for the low level training.

      Delete
  8. Great looking Continental troops and scenery as well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Splendid new unit Matt, great landscape pictures too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice job! Who cares if the flags are technically correct; the snake one is just too cool. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew....I think they would have fairly random flags until the continental army was fully set up and running

      Delete
  11. Great Pic's Matt and a cracking looking regiment.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete