Tuesday 28 September 2021

Arab Cavalry, a show and lots more

Just a quick post to to share the latest Arab cavalry I have completed. These are conversions from the plastic gripping beast cavalry where I used the riders for camel riders. I knew I needed to use the horses somehow so picked up some Essex Miniatures sometime ago as some simple generic Arab cavalry. They are not e perfect fit and needed some tricky bending of the legs. They also come with an additional saddle blanket and I just couldn’t be bothered to trim the plastic horses that much.

Think they have come out ok I have kept them fairly generic although I am regretting the shields being quite so colourful
They will generally play as medium cavalry, and in fact they had their first run out on Sunday.
Next up a couple more shots of Hadrian’s wall

If anybody is keen enough to want to watch a short video of our walk I have uploaded a video to my utube channel here….

I has also mentioned that we would be playing some Wargames on the walk, a few people questioned this madness. Anyway I have a couple of very mobile games just for this sort of situation. This is an excellent game by Pocket Battles , Z man games I think, with Romans vs Celts. Small enough to be carried on the walk, simple but surprisingly complex when you have played a few games. My son with the Romans got the hang of it quicker than I did we played several games with the majority going the way of the Romans.
Some more history form the walk a little known fact that Edward 1st dies in Cumbria close to a small village called Burgh by Sands, there is a modern statue in the village
…and a 17th century monument marking the location, which is very remote on the solway plain
Finally I visited my Father in Edinburgh this weekend to coincide with the Falkirk Wargame show Carronade. I was restricted slightly on time and the show was slightly reduced in size and sadly no bring and buy this year, but it was great to be at a show. Managed to catch up with a few acquaintances 
Two of the games which caught my eye, this one for you David, Wellington in India
and a very good Operation Sealion game by Glasgow Wargame club
I felt obliged to spend some money so support the traders who have held on till shows started again. A mixed bag and a couple of second hand buildings
Finally one of my nephews in Edinburgh has been getting very interested in family history and has spent a lot of time tracking our family line back. I am not certain of the actual authenticity as it is all through one of the ‘ancestor’ type websites. However, if his work is correct it appears we go all the way back to Charlemagne ! Nice idea but I guess this far back things are a little tricky. Perhaps more interesting it is pretty clear we go back to the Deverveux Family wealthy lords and landowners in the Welsh borders which would likely be correct as that is traditionally where the family is from.

That’s enough stuff for now, some more Dark age figures to paint for the weekend and a battle to blog as well from Sunday.

Matt (Distant heir to the King of all the Franks)




30 comments:

  1. Matt, your photo journal of your Hadrian's Wall walk stirs my wanderlust. Must have been a terrific experience for you and your son. Is Rome next? I have been to Rome three times now and have yet to tire of it.

    Good to see you back at a show and nice haul. Great Arab cavalry too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon I too have been to Rome and enjoyed it immensely. What’s next might have to remain in my head for a while 😀

      Delete
  2. Splendid additions to Al Andalus, now did they destroy me or did I get them destroyed🙂
    A most splendid video, lots of the wall I haven't seen before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly they were on your side Phil you were warned they were newly painted!

      Delete
  3. That looks like a fun trip and there appears to be quite a bit of Hadrian's Wall left standing in the section you traveled. I struggled to find anything recognisable in the small part I found, but your photos look very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you sir in the central section there is indeed a lot of wall in evidence 👍

      Delete
  4. Lovely looking cavalry and great travel photos ( what a fantastic place!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michal northern England is beautiful 😀

      Delete
  5. I like the colourful shields on the cavalry as it makes them pop a bit. Nice pics of the wall too. Good to see you made it to Carronade and maybe see you at Partizan in a few weeks time? Our family goes back to the same village (Fen Drayton) to around 1583, when we apparently came over to help drain the Fens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve I am still pondering partizan ? As it is a 3 hour drive from up here. My original plan for the Arabs was to make them very non descript so they could sub as a range of different mercenary cavalry but I got carried away

      Delete
    2. It's about the same from here in Bristol, but as I will be branching to a friend on the way up, more like 4 hours. Normally I wouldn't bother but he's putting on a demo game and asked for help, plus I haven't been out for over 18 months like many people, so need the break!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the dedicated picture, I hope to enjoy Partizan as much soon🤞 The photos of the Waaall are lovely, brings back memories for me of the early 70's trips out along the Northumberland sections. Will we have to refer to you as King Crump from now on though😆?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is only descended from the king of all ‘Franks’… He therefore has no power over ‘Davids’… 😜

      Delete
    2. Phew, a narrow escape then for this old republican 🤣😂🤣😂

      Delete
    3. Still pondering partizan but the travel is a killer.

      Delete
  7. Nice Arab cavalry Matt and the pics of the wall are great too. I tend to agree with you about going back too far - my wifes uncle spent years researching their family and had a book printed (might have been a run of 100 at some enormous cost - this was early 90's before self publishing on Amazon etc was even thought of) Her mums maiden name is Fulljames but its an anglicised form of Foljambe and her uncle supposedly traced it all the way back to the Norman conquest - but no one apart from him was all that interested much further back than the nineteenth century!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the family tree is to be believed the link to the Devereux name is interesting both from the geographical position as the family is definitely from the Welsh borders but also the many military links, the original Devereux being gifted land by William after the conquest ? I think I will wait till I retire to investigate further

      Delete
  8. Lovely looking Arab cavalry Matt…

    Your travel photos are as splendid as ever… it always seemed to rain anytime we went near the wall…

    My friends tell me Carronade was an excellent show…

    I’ve only got as far back as the mid 19th Century… I suspect if we went as far back as we could I would discover that I am descend from the guy who new the guy who cleaned the kings pig sty’s.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wall was great I suspect the opposite Aly on your heritage and sadly I don’t have any pigs anyway 😢 the family tree thing is amusing as only two generations ago my grandfather was literally at the other end of the social spectrum and a card carrying communist worker.

      Delete
  9. love the cavalry, maybe a proper 1st crusade battle looming. Love the video, my liege. See you Saturday

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good to see pics from a show after all this time. The cavalry look pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray as slightly clumsy conversations they will do and I need to use the horses anyway

      Delete
  11. Fantastic stuff. Miniatures, big wargames and history all in one post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ian ? And for taking the time to comment 😀

      Delete
  12. Nice cav and I really liked the pics of the wall. And it’s great that you were able to drop in on a show. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks stew just nice in a strange way to be around lots of other wargamers 👍

      Delete
  13. Great looking Arab cavalry, Matt - the skin tones and shields are very nicely done. Awesome sights as always (love the statue of Edward I). Impressive gaming and loot too!

    ReplyDelete