Saturday 4 June 2022

Alive and kicking …….Part 2 🙃

Having not had any colds or illnesses for a couple of years I’ve now had two in a row ! Presumably the second cold has been due to the significant increase in my social mixing as we had a fantastic long weekend down in London and I only got the bug when I got back up North. The enforced rest has allowed me to get on with some painting.

Some french light infantry for the Peninsular , as I very slowly paint forces I think I might try to build enough for some skirmish battles to start with ? These are Perry which I wanted to get to compare with my Warlord figures, not quite interchangeable but a good enough match to add some variety when needed.
The enforced rest has been a bonus as I rattled off this AWI unit, Henley’s Regiment 1777  according to the guide, one of the American units to wear red. Random flag but wasn’t able to find any info in my quick search on the net. Mainly Perry but a couple of Foundry figures who were spare.
As London was before my latest cold we had a splendid time, I took few photos as my wife takes more than enough and we packed in a lot. The monument to the great fire.
Billingsgate Roman bath house, you have to book but well worth it if you like Roman stuff
We visited the Tate and the London Museum again both well worth it, lots of walking as is the way in London. Passing by HMS Belfast 
The highlight however and the reason we were down this weekend was for a special concert at the Royal Albert Hall. The Royal Symphony Orchestra was putting on a live ‘play along’ version of the LOTR Fellowship. They have done a number of other films but as a big fan of the Jackson trilogy this was a huge treat. It was absolutely stunning !

A bit more rest for me now to get over this cold and hopefully back to some gaming soon.

Matt


27 comments:

  1. Terrific work as usual Matt and good to see you churning a couple of units out in spite of your recent bouts of illness. Looks like a good trip to London. In spite of living in Beaconsfield for two years I never made it to the Tate. I kept thinking I'd get around to it but never did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence, we often visit the Tate when in London as it never feels too busy and is a nice location.

      Delete
  2. Some nice work there Matt - I recognsie many of the London scenes from our last visit 5+ years ago - my son and I went up the Monument, and we also went on the Belfast - and up Tower Bridge - real tourists, we were! I think we also saw those Roman remains, are they the ones that are just sort of randomly THERE, in the middle of a pavement, but with glass over them so you are looking down into them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith, the Roman site is Billingsgate Bathhouse, so may be different to the one you are mentioning, these are in an office block basement so only open weekends, but worth a trip

      Delete
  3. Two colds/Covid, that's overdoing it! Still you have been productive and also avoided the Jubilee bunkum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the look of those Frenchies. Glad you are on the mend

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you got away. We tied up alongside Belfast but we’re not allowed to walk on it so had to take a ships boat to the opposite bank. Despite all the visitors every day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have been very productive and turned out some fine stuff illness none withstanding. Good that you managed to get away after the first bout a very productive trip too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil coughing and painting is a challenge but needs must !

      Delete
  7. Sorry to hear you've been ill again Matt. Fingers crossed you recover quickly. Since being on steroid inhalers for my asthma, I've not had any colds other than day of feeling off colour. Before that I used to suffer an awful lot. Having lived and worked in London, I suppose I got quite blase about the sights and rarely visited during weekends as I was quite happy to be away in the relative quiet of the suburbs. Shame really as there is just soooo much to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve, not mixing with other people seems to be the answer for me but a bit antisocial !

      Delete
  8. One of the problems with this return to meeting people is you seem to catch stuff…
    Maybe we always did… but it didn’t matter much in the before times.
    Lovely toys as always…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those look great Matt, nice to see you got away even if it you picked up the odd bug... Cheers Stu

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope your feeling better now. I’ve never heard of a live music play through but it’s a fantastic idea: hopefully it was the extended version. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew, it was the theatrical version but still the full 3 hour plus experience👍

      Delete
  11. Very good painting and certainly productive despite the cold!
    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great looking Napoleonics and rebels, I'm certainly going to be mixing my Victrix and Perry and probably stuff the handful of warlord in the back row! Looks like a lovely trip to London too!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain are you not a fan of the warlord ? I am working my way through the army starter and will then think about expanding ?

      Delete
    2. No I like warlord French but they're a bit different from the Perry and Victrix which can be freely mixed I think!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  13. What? I swear I left a comment earlier. Hmm. Excellent looking brushwork, Matt, and good to see that are still alive and kicking.

    ReplyDelete