Tuesday 8 November 2022

More Painting progress and another remote Battle

The weather remains pretty poor in Northern England and with a minor leg injury preventing me getting out walking I have had more time for painting.

First up another British Early war vignette, I have had this one for a couple of years but it revealed itself during the recent tidy up in the dungeon, they are Foundry figures I believe, I already have an ambulance but it didn’t get into the photo.
These casualty figures come with the Conquest Games Norman knights. I have a couple more which I will get round to sometime
These Indian Troops were picked up at Partizan from Colonel Bills, they are Old Glory figures. They can play in both our Back of Beyond games supporting the British on their adventures in Central Asia. They can also fight supporting the ‘Whites’ in the RCW
Next up I have been working on these Celtic Dark age units, I have kept them unarmoured and as ‘light’ as I can only a few even have buckler shields. They will play as two units or light rear ranks for larger more heavily armed units.
Steve gifted me this ‘Celtic’ command figure which he had picked up at a show to lead my developing Celtic Dark age force
….and here they are at the moment, I think I have three ! more units to complete as well as some light Dark age cavalry to support them.

Next up we played another remote game. Jon had ‘dug’ out his Romans and Gauls. I will leave Jon to describe the background and details of the battle. Given my general preference for attacking I took charge of the Gauls.
This shot after the first turn the Gauls are starting to advance 
This shot at the end shows the almost complete collapse of the Gauls as the heavily armed Roman Legions crash through their centre.

It was a very enjoyable battle despite the defeat 😀 hopefully more games this weekend 

Thanks for popping by Matt


32 comments:

  1. A real nice mix of stuff there Matt and hope that your leg and the weather gets better soon so you can get out and about again. No injuries here, famous last words, but the weather has been windy and wet nearly all the time, so desperate to get out on the bike or for a walk!

    Your photos show up really pixelated until your click on them to view them as a slide show as it were. I think my Blog has a similar issue too, but not sure how to fix it, assuming that you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve and thanks for the info on the photos, I haven’t changed anything at my end but wonder if Google have done that, I guess it may be a file size issue. As long as you can see them clearly when they open up, I have no idea how to fix the issue.?

      Delete
  2. A jolly nice potpourri of painting goodness there Matt very productive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil …retirement is good and more fun than working 👍

      Delete
  3. Matt, your brushes are flying! A lot of great looking figures coming off your workbench. I especially like the stretcher bearer vignette. The Romans really gave the Gauls a pounding in this fight. Great fun for me! Oh, I rolled so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon, I neglected in my notes to say you rolled a LOT of sixes !

      Delete
  4. A splendid mix of painting there! Hope the leg is improving.
    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt, slow progress on the leg but my wife tells me it is my age and I am just fussing !

      Delete
  5. Great to see new stuff being added to a variety of collections Matt. You have done a nice job on the OG Indians....I have painted a few of these myself in the past! I will look forward to reading all about Ceasars stunning victory in due course at PWJ!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith I am sure Jon will give an impartial account ?

      Delete
  6. Nice work Matt. The WWII stretcher vignette is my favourite here. Bad luck on losing to the Romans, but it sounds like you went down swinging as any self-respecting Gaul should.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence, yes we tried to stick it to the Romans but they were too tough !

      Delete
  7. A superb mix of painted figures. I really need to pick up the brushes again

    ReplyDelete
  8. Extremely productive during your lay off Matt. I hope that your injury is indeed minor and it heals soon.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James at least this hobby gives me something productive to do 👍

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Working away on loads of stuff at the moment 👍

      Delete
  10. Thumped by the Romans, eh? No disgrace there! Some nice painting. The stretcher party isn't on the Foundry site, there's a Great War one, so is it a conversion?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The romans were really tough and rolled a lot of sixes. You may well be right and the stretcher isn’t Foundry it can in a bag of other foundry WW2 figures so I had assumed with out looking but now I look at the scuplting it is clearly a different style.

      Delete
  11. Nice work Matt, hope the leg mends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks George at least I can keep painting 👍

      Delete
  12. A decent bit painting completed alright .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave I am certainly finding more time at the moment 👍

      Delete
  13. Great looking mixed bag of painting, always tough to beat Romans!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  14. Some great additions Matt, love the Indians a great addition.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
  15. Splendid toys Matt…
    Your certainly covering a lot of different… and interesting periods.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete