Wednesday 22 February 2023

All about Napoleonics……….

Well that is where my head is at the moment…..and what you ask has caused this sudden madness ?

First up I have completed my second British infantry unit. Warlord figures again from the starter army box. A Victrix flag these are the 77th East Middlesex Regiment. Why choose this regiment well it was the second flag on the sheet ๐Ÿ™‚ I am already well into a Portuguese regiment from the box.
With the British force slowly growing they need an officer so here he is, after the Portuguese I think the 95th which will actually get me to the point where I could have a battle.

At the weekend I was very kindly invited to join the Lancaster Wargamers at one of their (regular?) large/massive Napoleonic battles. These are run down in South Cumbria so not so far away. A very friendly group of gamers, a number of whom have quite large Napoleonic collections and this is a change to get them all out on the table for a bit of fun. Eight gamers in all each taking a cavalry and Infantry brigade each. The non-historical scenario has the allies attempting to rescue the Coldstream guards who have been badly led and have camped too close to the enemy. We played Black Powder which of course is designed for larger games, even so with this many figures it was a challenge.
Not a blow by blow account just some nice shots to give a sense of the scale. Here is my french Cavalry brigade holding the left flank, well until they were wiped out by allied dragoons.
Some of the action in the centre
And the British far left flank
So many lovely figures on show
The Guard advance ! ……..enough said of course they were soundly beaten and routed
But the french are holding the road 
Cavalry still fighting at the other end of the battle
It was a real pleasure to play, and I hope to attend again at future battles, I’ve also made some contacts and new game ping friends.

So next up a game hopefully this weekend and I have been sticking my fingers together with superglue on some more American supports ! But first the Portuguese ๐Ÿ‘

Thanks as always for checking in Matt ๐Ÿ˜€



34 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed the day Matt, it is always a spectacle and good fun. I had to miss this one but hopefully my calendar will be free for the next one whenever, though at this rate we might need an annex.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a pleasure to play so hopefully these become a regular event ๐Ÿ‘

      Delete
  2. You certainly got Napoleonic charm that weekend! Nice work on your units, certainly growing nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe the project is moving forward at an acceptable pace

      Delete
  3. Nice new toys Matt...
    That looked like a splendid (Napoleonic) day out...

    All the best Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly and yes it was a fun gaming day ๐Ÿ‘

      Delete
  4. looks amazing, see you Saturday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A fun day out gaming and yes Saturday good to go

      Delete
  5. A splendid new addition there Matt. The huge game brought back happy memories of our Sunday games at Alumwell in the late '70s-early'80s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David , big games are certainly ,fun to be part of ๐Ÿ‘

      Delete
  6. Matt, you have been bitten by the Napoleonic Bug. I expect this fine-looking game increased your motivation to press on with more Napoleonic paintwork. Super game and I bet, great fun for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think I was bitten a long time ago I just needed to space ๐Ÿค” and yes the game provided lots of motivation to push on

      Delete
  7. Great additions Matt and you are a lucky chap being able to play a large Napoleonic set to, I echo what Dave said about the big Sunday games at the Alumwell club.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil hopefully the Peninsular might see a battle some time this year

      Delete
  8. Nothing wrong with a bit of Napoleonc painting/gaming Matt! The figures look great; ironically, I took a pic of my version of the exact same mounted British officer in my 1812 collection last night, he should appear on my blog shortly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Superb looking game. Nothing better than a proper big battle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully a few more in the future ๐Ÿคž

      Delete
  10. Lovely work on 77th Matt. Not a unit I have seen done often and it made me look up their service record. Interesting that they were at a few of the sieges in the Peninsular but weren't in the OOBs of some of the major battles. I'll be keeping an eye out for them in my future readings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence, I’m not being to particular on the units but I had the colours, in fact whilst it isn’t very distinct they have yellow cuffs etc, so I could if pushed paint a different colour party and they could be a number of different regiments ?

      Delete
  11. A cracking unit and command figure there Matt and a wonderful gaming spectacle that you were able to take part in:).

    ReplyDelete
  12. I fine shot of the Guards..... They really look the part until they reach the thin red line of course ;-)
    Great stuff as always.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand they often don’t live up to their historical reputation !

      Delete
  13. great to make some new gaming contacts.
    Those are some nice pictures of a grand action. Looks like fun. ๐Ÿ˜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew, living fairly remote it is always good to build new gaming contacts for future battles ๐Ÿ‘

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. They are an impressive bunch if not as tough as their historical counterparts ?

      Delete
  15. Great looking infantry unit and super looking game!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely figures added to your collection Matt! That battle looks very impressive indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great looking British, Matt. I really like the Warlord British. They have nice marching poses and sturdily built for gaming.

    ReplyDelete