Thursday 2 February 2023

The Valentines are done 👍

Whilst painting Polish infantry and Napoleonic British I diverted to get the remaining Tanks in my Western Desert army completed.

Here they are Five Valentines, plastic soldier company, these much easier than the Honeys so perhaps it was just them. Slightly different markings just to allow identification on the table. I built them all as MkIII’s
These were a Christmas present for the project, at first I struggled thinking they weren’t used in the desert but I then found photo evidence of them used by the Hussars as recon and command vehicles, with the odd open topped cupola ?.  I’ve run out of desert rat decals so mixed this up a bit. Most likely they will provide command vehicles.


That means I only have the Lloyd Carriers and the 6lbrs left to build and paint. With the replacement box now arrived I have quite a few choices. The box set does allow some variation in guns so that helps, and I think I can pull together 6 Lloyds in total with perhaps a couple of wrecked vehicles for terrain or objectives ? No rush for this though at this stage. The only thing I am then considering is some infantry to round out the force. I’ll post a parade photo in the next couple of days.

Smolensk
Some of you will have read George’s AAR for our second Smolensk campaign battle. He has covered the brave German defensive action very adequately. Just a couple of shots of his lovely eastern front terrain setup, a pleasure to fight over.
One of the benefits in the campaign is the Russian infantry resets each battle, with lots of support points I mixed things up from last time. A BT5/7 really so I could try out tanks in CoC, another mortar, the sniper really because I know she gets under the Germans skin ! HMG this was a revelation 
With a flank attack and the Russians coming from the two blue arrows, the Germans were pinned into the woods in the corner, my objective in the patrol phase (not so hard really) was to keep the Germans out of the buildings and give my guys as much cover as possible from the German LMG’s. I have marked the locations of our jump off points.
As George has covered in his report the Germans failed to get their force on the table quickly enough, this meant the Russians were able to really concentrate heavy fire from mortars, the BT5 and three infantry squads on the isolated Germans artillery. This was a lot of fire which very gradually pinned and eventually forced the gun to pull back. Unfortunately with the attached leaders this proved decisive for German morale 
The HMG was a revelation and really hammered the German infantry in the woods.
Another shot of the lovely battlefield.
With continuing problem with my leg I haven’t been out walking so sadly few shots of the local environment, however, when up in Scotland last week I camped in the van close to this Loch and had this lovely morning view 👍

Finally it is Vapnartak this weekend over in York and we will be travelling over. A chance to catch up on wargaming stuff hopefully get some bargains and of course buy loads of stuff I REALLY NEED !

Anybody out in the blogosphere who is attending and fancies catching up, over a cup of tea, putting a face to a name etc let me know more than happy to say hello 👍 discuss projects etc…

Matt 😀


26 comments:

  1. Lovely aesthetics, I came straight from George’s account to here - splendid. Crusaders look nice - very iconic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm , obviously the Smolensk battle is all George’s work 👍

      Delete
  2. You are amassing some delightful western desert stuff there Matt. You certainly have the Germans on the back foot in the campaign.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some lovely vehicles there Matt. Some nice pics of the terrain from Wednesday, pity I cannot threaten my men with the Eastern Front.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks George, no chickens are being counted back in Moscow

      Delete
  4. Great looking armor and George's table is superb. You may be in Berlin before you (or the Germans) know it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those Valentines and armored cars look great, but nowhere near as great as that Eastern Front fight!

    V/R,
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jack the Smolensk campaign is all Beorges work and great terrain to play on 👍

      Delete
  6. The pace at which you are assembling this desert project, and at such an outstanding level, really is quite amazing. The Valentines and the recon vehicles look lovely, and the Eastern front game is very nice indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence the 15mm tanks are pretty easy really given the scale, hope to give them a battle soon 🤔

      Delete
  7. love the tanks, can't make York, expensive month and Hammerhead next month. Have fun at the bring and buy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martin shame about York always good to catch up will send you some dates

      Delete
  8. For a second I thought you were prepping for Valentine’s Day. But tanks are more fun. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol ….perhaps I could give my wife the tanks for Valentines ?

      Delete
  9. Very nice work Matt, I particularly like the almost anachronistic RR armoured cars! Great job smashing the Fascist Beasts too, its some kind of anniversary of Stalingrad at the moment, so very appropriate to see the Soviets triumphant! The patrol phase was part of CoC that I really liked, helped make every encounter slightly different, it's a very clever mechanism from the Lardies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lots more lovely toys Matt...and a very nice looking game...
    I was tempted by Vapnartak... but sadly I dont think I will have the time.

    All the best Aly

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely work on the Valentines and a superb game you go to play in there and on a table tennis table too:). Hope your leg gets better soon so you can get out and about more. Enjoy the show and I hope to get to one before Colours in September...

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The new tanks are looking really good. In the campaign you seem to have the upper hand now. I hope your leg is improving by now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice new additions. Enjoy your shopping top up!

    ReplyDelete