Thursday 18 May 2023

French Parade

I have managed to keep focussed on the French this week completing the final unit from the eBay purchase. Like the others these needed a bit of over painting, some additional command figures painting and re basing. I also thought it would be nice to have a mounted officer who takes the focus away from the rather drab infantry.

The figures are mainly warlord plastics, but a couple of metal command figures and a couple of Perry command as well. This was a slightly larger unit at 36.
With nine battalions mustered for the Peninsular it felt it was time for a parade. Happy with the progress so far and it feels like I have a French force coming together, i think they have reached a ‘critical’ mass. This will allow me to start being slightly more selective. I would like some Legere light infantry, but I want them to stand out a bit if possible.  I’m searching my sole to see if I can afford some Perry metals as they are quite distinctive in their over-trousers, open to any other suggestions ?

Day two of our Sicily trip, with the weather due to be potentially cloudy later in the week we wanted to make to most of the sun and headed for Etna. Spectacular although of limited historical interest, other than it caused some challenges for the allied invasion in 1943
We headed to the coast to Aci Castello a small town outside Catania. Interested to find a war memorial as we didn’t see too many, this one particularly nice as it had two 75mm artillery pieces in place.
The main reason for the coastal visit was the Norman Castle. Built in a stunning position in 1076 and built of black lava. Suffered a significant siege in 1299 when it was taken by Fredrick II of Aragon. I guess a siege was the only option as the esplanade is a later addition and back in the day the castle would have been truly impregnable.
It wasn’t expensive to visit although the museum inside was rubbish. My wife loved the cactus garden and the views down the coast and inland to the town were really impressive.

All being well I will be at Partizan on Sunday 🙂

34 comments:

  1. The French are looking very gallic! Nice holiday pictures too, but those Normans got everywhere like a rash! Hope to see you on Sunday at Partizan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David…..the Norman’s were indeed prolific builders of castles

      Delete
  2. A mighty pukka parade of Frenchies there. Splendid Sicily shots too, must really endeavour to get back there at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to see the army now deployable. I was thinking about lights and wondering whether to have a deeper base and then just place some skirmishing poses in out in front - not sure about that, I think I need to see a mock-up first.

    ReplyDelete
  4. French look great, I need to get painting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks slow progress no rush I need to do some more cavalry now

      Delete
  5. That is a decent sized force Matt. I also use the trick of slipping a mounted colonel onto the command base of some infantry units! The Perrys do make plastic light infantry, if you feel cost is an issue with the metal ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith, I want the Legere to stand out a bit, I m going to see if I have enough of the warlord heads to convert a whole battalion ? The problem is the metals do stand out nicely ? Nobody seems to make what I want in plastic. Although I need to check out Victrix

      Delete
  6. I'm really enjoying seeing your French come together, and after your rework they look terrific. More lovely pictures of Sicily.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent parade of your Frenchmen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice work on the Frenchies Matt, hope to bump into you at Partizan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks George …..you may not be able to avoid me 👍

      Delete
  9. Fine Flourish of Frenchmen, Matt! Lovely Sicily photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fine looking French, no doubt brave on the table with all the mounted leaders! I do need to kick in the painting schedule, too much assembling plastic figures grows tedious. Some interesting photos of Sicily, the mix of castles & war memorials shows how many 'visitors' came and stayed on the island over the centuries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe….the French are coming along but I do need to do some British as well ? Sicily has a long a troubled history, fought over but everybody over the years

      Delete
  11. Nice looking French parade and I do love the old Norman castle. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tip top Frenchers. Enjoy Partizan, bit far for me tho (400+ mile round trip!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt….will post some Partizan pictures later this morning

      Delete
  13. Another lovely unit and the mounted officer is a nice touch. Enjoy Partizan if you make it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great looking French, and fine sights too, Matt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean….Sicily full of wonderful history

      Delete
  15. Fine looking fellows Matt…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great looking French been thinking of leger could go super cheap and do Hat in their own unit, I decided just to do line as most of my French are in trousers you wouldn't notice much difference!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain I haven’t fully committed yet but I think it will have to be the Perry figures I particularly like the ones with the long plumes FN244 to FN247. No rush so I will keep looking for a bit for alternatives 👍

      Delete