Monday 22 May 2023

Partizan, Cycling and Loot

Seem to have lots going on at the moment, I was keen to get to Partizan this year and I am glad I did. But to make the travel worthwhile and with the advantage of the van for accommodation I chose to spend a couple of days cycling before getting to the show on Sunday. We also had a fantastic curry in Newark ….shout out to Dave and Martin 😀

There will be plenty of show reports out there so just a quick note and some photos from me. First it was busy, which is good, the games were excellent quality the selective photos below show the pick as far as I was concerned. Plenty of traders and even a little second hand stuff to spend my money on. Best of all I was able to catch up with loads of people who had made an effort to get to the show. It was really good to catch up and discuss projects. I also spoke to a fair few game organisers all of whom took the time to explain what they were doing etc…. All in all a great show as far as I’m concerned.

The photos, I’m afraid I didn’t take all the details

Simon Millers massive ancient phalanx’s
SYW in 15mm
Lovely ACW MacPherson Ridge battle
AWI Springfield ? I think
Lots of Napoleonics on display 
The Arnhem setup from the recent magazine
Really impressive close up, I really like the allotments
Could spend a long time looking at these tables
Massive Napoleonics 
Command and Colours Napoleonics nicely done
VBCW
Carenton WW2 beautifully done apparently took nine months or so to put together
Eastern front

My van parked up the night before I found a lovely spot only a stones throw from the venue which will make future visits much easier
The loot………all Napoleonic stuff as that remains my focus at the moment. French cavalry, lots of commanders which I need going forward a couple of secondhand bits, a second highland regiment (I haven’t painted the first one yet!) some spare cannons, a few extra walls for Sicily. The box is full of mixed command figures to add into future Battalions and to creat vignettes and more interesting command bases.

Finally the cycling, both days before the show were hot and sunny, I had taken my ‘gravel’ bike day one 40 miles in Derbyshire on the high Peak trail 
Only two hills and then beautifully flat converted railway tracks
Tunnels
Day two more gravel in Nottinghamshire, around Clumber Park and into Sherwood Forest miles and miles of forest cinder tracks and only one puncture 🙂
Finally on my way to Newark I briefly visited the Stoke Field Battlefield as I hadn’t been before. Some interesting visitor boards, and a nice walk although the battlefield is fairly featureless and due to the extensive crops it is hard to get a sense of the battle.

I will save the next Sicily photos for next time, thanks as always for checking by 

Matt


32 comments:

  1. It certainly was a good show Matt…
    I don’t know how I missed that 15mm Seven Years War game…
    You clearly got a lot more exercise than me in… yet my limbs ache this morning 😂

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really enjoyed it at the show my only exercise was repeatedly getting my wallet out !

      Delete
  2. It was great to catch up and have a chat at the very fine show. Quite a good find those 2nd hand Nappys. Good to combine your visit with a couple of days cycling, your outdoor shots as ever are very uplifting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking show. Thank You for a Photos.
    Best
    M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to share some really beautiful setups

      Delete
  4. Matt, you combine three of my favorites in this post: wargaming, cycling, and buying more stuff! Beautiful scenics both at the show and on your rides. Forty miles on gravel seems like an awfully long ride. I am having fleeting thoughts of buying a gravel bike to tackle similar terrain out West.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can talk gravel at our next battle. Apart form two very steep and significant hills the 40 miles was beautifully flat 😂

      Delete
  5. The cycling/landscape pictures are a joy but only second to those of the wonderful games at Partizan! Your haul is wonderful too, all painted this week I guess?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely 1:1 terrain and a great haul, I am disappointed I missed it this year it certainly looks great but I am hopeful for the October show!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain not sure about October it’s a possibility 🤔

      Delete
  7. Matt, nice to see you there, your weekend has been like Partizan on steroids, but the weather has to be grabbed as we can get it. This should move your napoleonics on quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoyed the trip…and yes got to use the good wet hare when it is here

      Delete
  8. Lovely to see you, great show

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic looking games and cycling scenes as well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great photos of some terrific games. Thanks for the roundup Matt. Looks like the perfect long weekend, and the weather turned it on for you as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An enjoyable trip indeed and the good weather a bonus 👍

      Delete
  11. A great weekend . Good to catch up

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would have liked to attend, but my chums were not around, so maybe we'll make the other show. Maybe it was a good thing as with stunning weather at last, I might have been a tad grumpy being stuck indoors so to speak!

    Glad you had a good show and from other Blogs too, lots of wonderful games on show as one would expect at Partizan. Nice to see a broader mix of scales and table sizes than when I was there a few years ago now.

    The photos remind me of a school trip to the Peak District where one day we cycled along a disused railway line, which was rather nice. After East Anglis it all seemed very hilly and rather wild in comparison!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It might have been the same railway track Steve ? Yep the show was excellent a little hot in the building but I was distracted by all the beautiful Wargames

    ReplyDelete
  14. very nice pics of inside game tables that look like the outside and actual outside stuff. You and Norm almost have the exact same pic of the ACW game (naturally the one I payed the most attention to).
    glad you had a good time. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  15. Replies
    1. Thanks Ray good to say hello on the day even if only briefly 👍

      Delete
  16. Some great looking games and a decent haul of Napoleonic loot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neil I have my painting cut out now !

      Delete
  17. This is my last Partizan post for tonight Matt - its 2315 here and I need to go to bed, have to be up for work again in about 6 hours! Thats the drawback about spending all my time painting, I fall behind on reading and commenting on blogs I like to follow! Anyway, great report with lots of awe inspiring games/tables on display and looks like some nice bike riding - we walked through Sherwood Forest when on our last family holiday with the kids about 8 years ago and saw some ancient Oak tree (I think) that had been voted England's favourite tree or some such - it was hundreds of years old and had lots of steel supports in place to prevent it collapsing from old age! I note a couple of other Partizan visitors also made it to the WotR battlefield.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow you have been busy..... Partizan look great these year so many good games this year which is really driving the wallet and urge to game :-) Cheers Stu

    ReplyDelete