Tuesday 6 February 2024

Tallarn Walker and the 22nd Foot ?

Well it kind of shows the range stuff I am tinkering with at the moment.

To go with my Tallarn Xeno rampant force I have painted up this armoured ‘Walker’ I picked this up about 5 years ago secondhand I think it is a Warlord Konflict model, but I actually prefer it to the Warhammer sentinel model I have. The driver /command figure is a spare autocannon gunner model just with a pin in his base so he can be lifted off if needed.
Next up my first purchase from York show at the weekend. You often get people selling off collections at York, this gentleman was selling off a load of painted Napoleonics. As I have plenty in the lead pile I wasn’t going to buy too much. However, after some haggling (I’m not prepared to spend much on painted units) I thought an extra British unit, one that I haven’t painted would help the British catch up to the French. They required just a little fiddling, firstly the bases needed to be thickened  which if you look closely you will see where I have brought them up to match my other figures. Secondly I put some stain on the trousers which were too white for my liking , I touched over the uniforms with the red I use again to match my figures. The bases were lightened slightly and some of my spring grass added. Finally I touched up the flags and painted them with a matt finish. Probably in all an hour or so and the result a very serviceable unit for the Peninsular.

That’s it for now, planning another battle in the dungeon tomorrow which I need to sort out. Then back on care duties so back to Edinburgh for a few days.

Thanks for checking in Matt 👍


34 comments:

  1. Nice work on the walker model and I have an old GW one that I plan to use for Xenos Rampant too with my 10mm collection. Some of the prices charged for painted figures at shows is at times eyewateringly high, but they always seem to have takers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve, I might repaint my sentinel Walker just for the sake of it ? But I will need to do a head swop somehow to match him into the Tallarn force. At one end of the bring and buy a fellow was charging £100 for Napoleonic units, which is obviously akin to eBay. This gent was much (much) more reasonable, with units priced between £50 and £75 even for some nicely painted cavalry. I paid a very modest £40 for the 22nd so a good bargain given the little work needed to get them ready for battle.

      Delete
    2. It always amazes me what people are prepared to pay for painted units (I am talking the £100 end of the scale, not £40, which seems ok) but, when you think about it, if the minimum wage is about £12 in the UK (I am guessing, its $24 here in NZ) how long would you think it takes you to paint one figure from start to finish - 45-75 mins? And why would the person doing the work want to earn less than the minimum wage? I realise it's a bit different if it's something you painted for yourself and are just trying to move it on, but even though I would not pay it, I can understand why people feel that's the genuine value of a unit - at £100 for a 24 man infantry unit, that's only a shade over £4 per figure - and the bare metal probably costs £2!

      Delete
    3. These were definitely in the moving on category as the gent had changed to 15mm scale as was just moving his 28mm stuff on. It sounded like he had collected a lot of it from mixed sources over a number of years.

      Delete
  2. Great walker . Thats the kind of cross fertilization that comes with a good eye. Congrats on the new British unit, nice result for an afternoon of hobbying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe the addition of the Tallarn commander certainly helps with the Walker and tie it into the army 🤔

      Delete
  3. Good buy on the British, especially with just an hour’s work to make them match your other stuff. I had to miss the show and my sole intent would have been to buy a unit, as I saw and didn’t buy last year and later kicked myself for not doing so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s a shame Norm, plenty going on at the show 👍

      Delete
  4. Really enjoying the Walker, another fabulous addition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael the Walker has a nice heaviness about it which the GW sentinel doesn’t have

      Delete
  5. The Walker looks terrific! Nice to find a bargain with a ready-to-field unit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. good work all around. Nice job. 😁

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool stuff, I have that Walker as well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I won’t ask which army you have the Walker in ?

      Delete
  8. The British battalion looks great, and definitely worth an hour's work. The walker looks very impressive as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The weird stuff is nicely done, but the historical figures are more to my taste. Good acquisition there Matt! Hope your Care visit goes well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David I hope both units will get some battle time soon. As for the care visit keeping my father engaged and comfortable is all that is needed😀

      Delete
  10. Your butterfly seems to have as meandering a course as mine, at the moment Matt - SciFi is one thing I have not been greatly attracted to (yet!) but your stuff looks the bizness - and of course, Napoleonic Brits are always good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith as a ‘narrative’ gamer it is all about the story as the battle unfolds and I guess the aesthetics of how it looks, whether it’s Greeks vs Persians or Tallarn vs Tyranids 👍

      Delete
  11. A cracking purchase for the Napoleonic collection you garnered there Matt. The walker is pretty nifty too if course.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great looking figures, Matt. You've reminded me that I need to get back to building a Xenos Rampant force using some of my exisiting WW2 Soviets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean, I have lots of other options for XR which I need to dig out and tidy up

      Delete
  13. Nice work, and a good bargain

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the walker Matt… I am a bit tempted by all that 1947 Nazi sci-fi nonsense… no surprises there then ….It’s the kind of thing that would work well with Xenos Rampant.

    And of course the Brits 😁
    It’s always good to see that your butterfly is healthy 🦋🦋🦋

    All 5he best. Aly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly the Walker is indeed for my Xeno plans 👍 who knows where the butterfly will land next ?

      Delete