Wednesday, 30 September 2026

Post holiday Painting and some Roman stuff

Back from my holiday and I seem to have hardly been at home, a trip to Yorkshire and I’m just back from a weekend down in the SW, whilst I’ve not been able to get a game in in the spaces between holidays I have managed some painting. The mojo never really went away but it has been very nice to chill out in the dungeon with brushes in hand.

First up some AWI Americans technically the uniforms are I think the 2nd Pennsylvania but the flag is from a militia unit some collections I’m a bit more careful on the standards but less so for the AWI

Two more units of ECW cavalry one light one heavier Roundhead types. I have a problem now as the cavalry don’t all fit in one box !

And last night I finished off another unit of Prussian SYW Cuirassiers painted to match the others I have.

Hopefully two games in the next couple of days so I can post some action on the table. In the meantime I thought I would blog up the Roman stuff from my holiday, travelling through Eastern France and into northern italy you get to see quite a bit and I planned this in along the way. I did visit some smaller locations on the way but these were perhaps the pick of them….

Porte Saint-Andre in Autun

Also in Autun the Porte D’Arroux

The curious Temple of Janus just over the river from Autun

The extant Roman town walls around Autun, modified in places but preserved by being built into later medieval buildings

The massive Amphitheatre and Odeon at Lyon

Famous brass transcript of Claudious’s speech from AD48

You get some good views form the Lyon locations

Temple of Augustus and Livia in Vienne, saved by being converted into a church and later a library now just a spectacular Temple again

Vienne amphitheatre

Across the River at Vienne a huge Roman site and the Archeological museum

Famous mosaics

The largest of the Lugdunum (Lyon) aqueducts just outside the city. It was worth cycling up the very steep and long hill to see this 

Suza in Italy nestled in the mountains the Arch of Augustus

They have a small amphitheatre as well in a spectacular location

The Porte Palatina in Turin

The remains of the Hypodrome in Milan preserved as part of the archeological museum

Many lovely artifacts

Travelling back up into the mountains to Aosta another Arch of Augustus built this time in 25BC

The spectacular amphitheatre in Aosta with its towering back wall remaining they are currently doing some renovation work here replacing walkways so it wasn’t open but you could still see much of the structures

And finally one of the towns gates heavily modified but still recognisably Roman. These towns must have been so spectacular back in their heyday.

These were the pick and many towns have multiple sites to visit some well preserved some not.

Hopefully these are of interest and perhaps a bit of inspiration I would certainly like to return to Aosta as it is a lovely little town as well as having spectacular Roman heritage.

Thanks as always for following along. Hopefully some battles to share soon.

Matt❤️

27 comments:

  1. Fab Roman travel photos, Matt! I think Aosta is a town in which I would enjoy spending some time as well. I always think of many PA regiments as wearing brown coats but these fellas must be mustering out later in Continental Army regs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon, Aosta is very appealing and I’m sure a good base for walking and other mountain activities. Lovely history. Yes the Americans have their new uniforms but are still carrying an old flag !

      Delete
  2. Fab looking figures Matt, and some brilliant photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks George some memorable places šŸ‘

      Delete
  4. Matt, all a bit cooler for you I imagine. Lovely units, what scale are the SYW cav?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks norm yes cooler up here in Cumbria. The SYW cavalry are 10mm Pandraken as per all my SYW collection šŸ‘

      Delete
  5. Wow! As you say Matt, those cities must have looked amazing in their day. Nice to see Aosta and Susa. I might have to get some Roman ruins for my Italian campaign.
    Chris/Nundanket

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris, one common theme seems to be those significant ruins which have survived were often at some point protected by being made into other buildings. What we see today is often the result of preservation and the removal of the later medieval or renaissance additions.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful minis, but photos... ❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  7. A good mix of units there Matt and you certainly visited some pretty cool places linked to Rome on your travels:)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve, some spectacular locations Autun and Aosta being particularly worthy locations

      Delete
  8. Good to see you back in action with brush & paints! Roman posts are interesting as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David more to come and hopefully some battles !

      Delete
  9. Great photos to remind us of the grandeur that was Rome. Good that you have got straight back into painting mode too, your 10mm painting makes the scale a pretty tempting proposition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, I do love some Roman history. The pendragon figures are nicely done and we’ll cast, you can’t fiddle too much though

      Delete
  10. More lovely travel photos displaying some beautiful scenery and weather. I really like the new AWI unit and your ECW comment about now needing another box made me smile as I am about to face the same problem. Nothing more annoying than having to spill over just because you have exceeded the limit by one or two units and I hate mixing up armies in an overflow storage box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence, I’m just going to have to get some more boxes and eliminate those mixed boxes which are creeping in !

      Delete
  11. Great work on all your new additions Matt, like the SYW Prussians especially. Great photos from ancient Rome, very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The old stuff is really cool, looks like a fab holiday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martin catch up soon šŸ‘

      Delete
  13. Great additions to various collections Matt and lots of Roman antiquities - what a marvelous holiday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith some wonderful Roman history out there in Europe šŸ‘

      Delete
  14. Nice additions to your collections and lovely historical photos, I might have to get on with the triumphal arch I've been planning!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete