Saturday 8 September 2018

Tennessee adventure units painted and another show

The summer holidays have remained a busy time. Although I haven’t done too much gaming (I do have another ACW battle to blog) I have managed to keep pushing on with painting.
First up I have completed (missing grass) an Arab Infantry unit. This are for the first millennium project which is slowly developing I need to knuckle under and get some cavalry done now both Spanish knights and two full units of Arab cavalry. The shields were a bit of an experiment. They have worked partially and look fine from a distance
Next up I finished my Federal skirmishers, the Perry Infantry comes with a small sprue of these in each box so I have quite a few, here are 16 which should be enough, I have worked up some additional rules for them so when I have some Rebels they can make an appearance. I might also think about using them in a skirmish game ?

After our holiday in Seahouses I had some time visiting relatives and spending some time with the kids. As it happened this found me driving past Peterborough last Sunday and I popped into the local Hereward Wargame Show. It was slightly smaller than I expected and judging from previous photos perhaps slightly less well attended ? Anyway it was on the way home......
I only took one photo of a game which caught my eye. This lovely Air combat game over Malta I think. I had a good chat to the guys and was really impressed by the effort they had put in.
I did manage to pick up a couple of bits from the B and B, you can NEVER have too many fences or paint brushes. The building is an interesting one no idea who makes it but it is a 3D print I think and very flexible as a rural cottage. So I’ll get it painted up.
I also had my birthday and although I got my age wrong ! (Honestly) I had a few nice gifts, pride of place though went to this little beauty , the new tic 38(t) my mate had made and painted it, including the driver. I just added a little more weathering and the transfers.๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€

So the final bit of this post was to flag that I have organised another trip to the USA yeepee and this is rapidly coming up. Early october will see me visiting the main battlefields in the western theatre starting in Nashville, I have some flexibility but plan to take in Fort Donaldson, Shiloh, Chattanooga, Chickamauga and look out mountain, Kenesaw Mountain and Stones River. Museums and other smaller battlefields where they cross my path.
I would be interested for any local advice as I know a few of you have been in the past. I will probably try and blog a diary of the trip as I did when I visited Virginia a couple of years ago.๐Ÿ˜€


21 comments:

  1. All good, I also got my age wrong this year, turns out I am a year younger than I thought - small victories :-)

    Interested in the Perry Skirmishers, I have the same box and wanted to pull the skirmishers, to double up as dismounted cavalry until I get some lead ones. I like the fencing, I am just part way through doing my Perry fencing in 'your' style.

    The 38(t) was a really nice gift. That and the Hetzer are becoming firm favourites in my interest in all things tactical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm, the Perry skirmishers are pretty good I tried to make them slightly different but it is hard, I also cut off the bayonets , thinking they would have them fixed in skirmish mode I’m look8ng forward to getting them on the battlefield

      Delete
  2. Shields on your Arabs are terrific! I always enjoy seeing you handpainted shield designs and they give me inspiration.

    Your birthday gift is first rate and a thoughtful gift. Well done!

    REally looking forward to your Western Theater battlefield tour. While I have visited many of the battlefields in the Eastern Theater, the Western battles have eluded me. One day I will make it too. On the gaming table, I have fought over many of these grounds repeatedly. Have an enjoyable trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For what lays ahead for you, check out this fellows' travelogue on some the of Western battles you plan to visit.

      https://thewargamesroom.wordpress.com/

      Delete
    2. You are too kind about my shields but they are ok froma distance. The shields I tried something different using a permanent but very fine pen to add additional detail over the basic paint scheme, it kind of worked. Like all things having done 18 about half I like the other half are a bit mediocre. Thanks for the link I’ll check it out.

      Delete
  3. Looking good Matt.
    Sounds like a good summer to me.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stuart, with no.iday in October I’m stretching out as far as I can ๐Ÿ™‚

      Delete
  4. Interesting and colorful post, Matt! Love all of the variety - Your Arabs and ACW figs look great. Nice birthday tank too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice post on a variety of topics. All the miniatures look great. Snake rail fence is a good investment.
    Wish I could help you with your trip to Tennessee, but I’ve never been.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew I am amazed at how many of my USA followers have admitted to not visiting the western battlefields I guess it is all about distance ?

      Delete
    2. Yes. The Western battlefields aren’t near the west coast I’m afraid (where I live). In fact I checked and TN is over 2000 miles from my home. ๐Ÿ˜€

      Delete
  6. Fine additions and purchases there. You will enjoy your battlefield tours I’m sure. I have done Chickamauga, Chattanooga, Lookout Mountain, and Kenesaw Mountain myself. I would like to do more, but that’s unlikely now I feel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent they are all on the list........I think you might be limiting yourself there David....but it is a long way ๐Ÿ™‚

      Delete
  7. Well Matt you certainly know how to vivi la vita.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the shields and your skirmishers,sounds like great fun on your US trip!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete