Monday 1 July 2019

The day after the Phoenix Wargame Show

So nearly everything is unpacked from the Phoenix show yesterday. This is just a quick post to show my game in place, and record a few thoughts on how it went. With things having been busy at home I wanted a game which didn’t require too much extra, the majority of the set is straight from the dungeon, as some of you will have seen I did paint up a few extra bits to add that little bit of extra for those people who just want to look rather than play, so the game whilst very much participation can count as a demo game as well.

I played through the game five (and a bit) times during the day, it is a slightly longer game than some of my previous participation games lasting I guess around 40 minutes. The rebels won every time which is how it is designed but in four of the games it went down to the last turn and even the last roll of the dice so it felt pretty spot on. Three of the games were with youngsters which is the best bit and all seemed to enjoy themselves.
The game in place just before the punters arrived
The forge at work
Cavalry charging through town, they don’t play but look nice
The unsuspecting Union camp
I bought a few bits, mainly to encourage the traders too our local show rather than anything I needed, the photo above includes some Russian Civil War Copplestone figures which I had agreed to buy from Phil....
Along with these rather nicely painted mix of Russian characters.

As to the show Norm has put up a detailed review and to be honest I didn’t see that much of it. It felt slightly quieter with a few likely causes, the new Glasgow show on the Saturday before, this is unfortunate as they are clearly picking up a lot of the same market, the fact that it was a hot Sunday probably didn’t help. This is the fourth show and I have enjoyed them all....hopefully it will manage to continue. I did get the chance to catch up with a number of friends and this was a very pleasant break to my game.

All being well I will be back next year 😀

11 comments:

  1. Nice to meet up again, glad you like the figures. Your game was rather splendid, a great advert for the hobby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, hopefully it added something to the show 🙂

      Delete
  2. Hi Matt, thought your game looked terrific and those at the table side were clearly enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm it would be nice to have a longer chat sometime so if you are up this way let me know, there is never much time during shows 🙂

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed my visit to the show and our natter. Your game looked spot on I thought, a great advert for our wonderful hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Matt, game looked great and always had a player whenever I passed. Downside was I didn't get a game or chance to chat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words John I think I remember seeing you but yes I was pretty busy during the day, I guess the challenge is most people come in a fairly small window.

      Delete
  5. Lovely looking game, sounds like it all went well and some nice additions to the lead mountain!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ian I am keen to get some more stuff painted soon 🤭

      Delete
  6. I will get over to it one day, coincides with my sisters birthday so tricky

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great looking game and nice job hosting for the players. 5 games in one day is a lot of effort. 😀

    ReplyDelete