Saturday 17 February 2018

The real Dad’s Army : Operation Sealion

Bit behind on blogs due to half term, work and progress on other activity. So loyal followers may notice a flurry of posts unless I get sidetracked.

Anyway first up I picked this nice little book up in a charity shop yesterday. There are lots of ‘Home Guard’ books out there but what is nice about this one is Rodney Foster lived and wrote his diary in Hythe which loyal readers will know is the current scene of operation for my Sealion campaign. This is timely as I picked up some more Home guard at York .
The book as a day by diary has some interest but there are a smattering of nice photos specific to the location and it was worth the £1:49 just for these.here are a couple πŸ˜€
Cavalry at Shorncliffe Camp
8th Battalion Home guard drilling outside pub on the road to Dover
More drilling on the Folkestone Cricket ground

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Worth looking out for if you are interested in this period ?πŸ˜€

      Delete
  2. I picked up the Penguin version cheaply some time ago. It is indeed a super book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course for me the beauty is Col Rodney lived snake bang in the middle of the proposed invasion locationπŸ˜€

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Nice little book if you can find a cheap copyπŸ™‚

      Delete
  4. I got this a couple of years ago as I enjoy period diaries as a window into a lost world. The photos were a bonus as you say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bonus is his location in my invasion zone....looking forward to getting some more Home guard painted up so he can lead them into battle πŸ˜€

      Delete