Friday 19 June 2020

Waterloo 205 Anniversary

We had a game planned for Thursday evening so it seemed like a good (rare) opportunity to my old Napoleonic figures out for a skirmish/battle. I didn’t have time to plan anything to historical, and this would be another down the line virtual game so a simple scenario would be best. I don’t get these figures out very often as they are an odd mix we modified Rebels and Patriots so we didn’t have to learn any news rules. They seemed to work fairly well and gave a fun and close battle. That is more than can be said for Blogger which is giving me real problems ? If I disappear from the bloggersphere you will know why 😒 
The British march forward, the scenario (entirely fictional) involves capturing two bridges outside the small town on the Belgium border
The French coming on in there usual way 
Both forces are mixed but with Line infantry a small element of cavalry and artillery
British light infantry move up into the woods
..... and the Guards move into the orchard
The young guard advance and gain a bonus unit of Cavalry (Double 6’s were very plentiful on the French side !)
British heavy cavalry is pushed back by the French cannons
French light infantry advance on their left flank
Holding the wall line whilst the Hussars are sent forward 
French Dragoon’s charge recklessly over the bridge, at this stage the French did appear to be heading for a comfortable victory, the British already struggling and pushed back...
The dragons just fail to charge the Guards regiment in the orchard
The Scots greys decide to also through caution to the wind and gallop forward
But looks what’s waiting for them !
They manage to wipe out one regiment of the young Guard but then are wiped out themselves 
The French heavy cavalry had been notable by its lack of backbone and when they take a full volley in the flank from the Back Watch in the trees they high tail it to the rear !πŸ‘
But more french infantry assault the bridge
And advance in the centre ..........no Prussians coming to save the Brits today !
The highlanders are having none of it and assault the Young Guard on the bridge ......desperate hand to hand fighting
Meanwhile another volley sends the French light infantry packing as well, the battle is possibly turning
Give them the bayonet lads.....hoorah !
.....and again, the Black Watch live upto their reputation but when the remaining french flee they are mercilessly cut down by grape shot, paying for the bridge with their lives
The British commanding officer moves on to the bridge, before also being unhorsed
But finally the battle is up, both sides have worn themselves out, the French cannons have been devastating, but there are just enough British infantry to hold and claim the bridges.

A very close game, not taken too seriously. It does make me think i should do more Napoleonics and I have thought for a while that I could modernise and expand my collection with suitable 20mm figures....perhaps a project for another day ?

And still the weather has been good so my holiday week has seen a lot of time outdoors walking int he Lake District 
Blencathra
Sheep (the dark ones are Herdwick’s which are very famous highland sheep in the Lakes)
The beautiful northern fells.

So assuming this isn’t my last post ! And blogger settles down take care and see you soon πŸ™‚




22 comments:

  1. Lovely looking game, enjoyed the table, figures and photography very much.

    There has been a lot of talk about Blogger causing problems, but I haven’t been noticing anything different. Anyway, last night, I saw that I could click back to legacy, obviously meaning that I was in new blogger and couldn’t tell the difference ....... I am wondering whether this is because I am using a Chromebook, which is a Google based device!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm....I have switched back to legacy which seems easier ?

      Delete
  2. Ah, your troops look like old Airfix figures. I had hundreds and hundreds of these 40+ years ago. Seeing these familiar poses brings back many memories of my first wargaming with miniatures.

    New Blogger is not providing any additions besides the fonts and sizes seem a but different from before. If you prefer old Blogger, might as well stick to it.

    Nice views from your hiking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes some old figures here a mix.......some have been with me since the start πŸ™‚

      Delete
  3. What a treat this is Matt, a marvellous sight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a splendid looking game with the usual informative narrative. I did my SCW blog post using the new platform and got none of the problems I usually get. But then I was doing it all on the laptop so that maybe why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Phil....I only use iPad these days. But have tried dropping back to the legacy version which seems easier ?

      Delete
  5. Very very old school, looked fab

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks M yes some older figures who have been with me since the star πŸ˜€

      Delete
  6. Super helping if nostalgia there in a beautiful looking game! Are they Airfix figures by the way? You look to have had better weather than us in Soggistan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David......yes they don’t get out very often being slightly ‘out of favour’ in style. Many are airfix but some other stuff as well. Some I bought in 1970 or so

      Delete
  7. Some splendid old toys... or should I say classic toys Matt
    And a great looking and sounding game...

    All the best. Aly

    I think that there may have been some general problems with Google... we had problems getting together for a virtual pub night on Google Meet-up last night...
    We went for Zoom in the end...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly....classic I think πŸ™‚πŸ‘

      Delete
  8. Lovely game, terrain, figures and photos Matt. We who love our 1/72 always like to see plenty of Airfix (and Esci) figures come out to play!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James....sadly they don’t get much table time these days but nice when they do πŸ‘

      Delete
  9. Great Pic's Matt... That takes me back.
    Trying to remember where mine went from back in the day :-)
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stu.....luckily mine never got thrown away, so after a number of years in storage they were salvaged πŸ‘

      Delete
  10. Nice game pics as usual and good luck sorting out your blogging issues. It’d be a shame if you vanished from the internet. πŸ˜€

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew......a return to legacy Blogger seems to have fixed it for now so you are all stuck with me for now πŸ˜€

      Delete
  11. That's fantastic, Matt, and I can't believe I hadn't thought of using Rebels and Patriots for Napoleonic games! Your figures and table look great.

    V/R,
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cool and very shiny...pass me my sunglasses!

    ReplyDelete