Sunday 5 July 2020

Mark A Whippet for RCW

Seem to be slightly behind again on blogging. I have been looking for some tanks for the RCW for ages but as always I am reluctant to pay too much. Having kept an eye on eBay I came across a small manufacturer under the title thetankfactory.com who is producing a range of WW1 tanks as 3D prints. These are a very reasonable price. As we all know these can be a little variable in quality so I ordered a Whippet to see how good they are before ordering any others at £11.99 post free I kept my expectation fairly low I could always use it as a terrain piece.

Here it is without any fiddling as it arrived (well wrapped)
Fairly simple cast, as expected some printing lines, guns fairly rudimentary with very ‘sharp’ Corners
Some of the print lines at the front close up
And from the side ....

I undercoated the whole thing then painted the larger surfaces with liquid green stuff to take the lines down a little bit, then used a file to slightly round off the sharp corners. I wasn’t sure how far to go before it might effect the integrity of the printing ? I drilled the guns and added some plastic barrels then set to with a simple paint scheme...
Plenty of dry brushing to give that worn out appearance 
and a ‘White’ transfer....slightly too large but the only one I had.

Overall I am very happy with the end result, yes it has some print lines but they aren’t really noticeable on the table, only on close inspection. Don’t think I can argue at the price and will definitely be ordering something else.

I have a couple of games to blog so will try to get them up soon 👍

24 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Possibly not the most powerful but quirky 🙂

      Delete
  2. Very nicely done. I had forgotten about liquid green stuff, is that the one that comes in a small GW pot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm and yes the green stuff is the GW pot really useful for certain jobs

      Delete
  3. Fine addition Matt! We worry too much about things I find, on the table in a game who will notice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David I think it has come out pretty well overall 🙂

      Delete
  4. Well it will certainly do, inspired use of the liquid Green Stuff to smooth out the lines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, it didn't quite remove all the lines but more coats would have worked better

      Delete
  5. It looks great! Liquid green stuff is ace,best thing I've bought from GW. I actually quite like the oversize transfers and the additional work on the guns is well worth it!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain the transfer is actually from an aircraft hence the size but I can live with it

      Delete
  6. Good work with the Liquid green Stuff made quite a difference.
    For me I wouldn't put a 3D printed vehicle on my war gaming table!
    That said I did get a 1/72 Resin UV Print Lanchester A/C and that looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks captain 👍 I'm afraid my skin flint nature means I can cope with most things as long as they reach a certain aesthetic level ?

      Delete
  7. Great job. Tank looks great. WW1 tanks always look pretty cool to me. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think I might just be getting another one sometime ?

      Delete
  8. A really useful customer review to help others Matt, thanks. I agree with your summation and that of others above; these are for tabletop representation, not to win a modelling competition, The end result looks excellent; I'd be more than happy with that!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete