Friday 6 August 2021

Hungarian Infantry and a new project ?

 Seem to be full of enthusiasm at the moment my mind jumping excitedly from one project to another, more painting and more gaming. What’s not to enjoy.

Anyway first up I finished another 10 mm SYW unit.

These are IR31 the Hungarian Haller Regiment, Hats off to Pendraken as these have the characteristic trousers and no gaiters of the Hungarians. Not sure about the flags but I had picked up some Hungarian flags so it just seemed right to give them these rather than standard Austrian. Somebody with better knowledge than me will know if this is correct ?
Do I need another project …..YES of course I do, I have been pondering while painting some more Saxons, possible expansions to the collection in the 400 to 1000AD period. Perhaps armies where they might be using a wide range of mercenaries. Where we might see late Roman looking units with Horse archers and heavily armoured cavalry. This might start as a late Roman army then broaden as time goes on…I have no idea at the moment, but the idea has been fuelled by a significant offer to kick start the project. More on this soon πŸ˜€
.

And Just for those that like the landscapes

Back to the Saxons for now πŸ‘


19 comments:

  1. Great looking Hungarians - and having various projects keeps things interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean ….when you say various are you putting a number on that ? Or can we keep it fairly lose

      Delete
  2. Beautiful looking Hungarians and very interesting new project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The new project has a huge potential for interesting additions. Have you thoughts on rules or basing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm….as I see this as an expansion at this stage I am likely to start with a skirmish type force which can be used with lion rampant type rules against suitable opponents in my Dark age figures. I have some units of Early Saxon / Arthurian types and of course a fair few lightly armoured generic dark age infantry/archers. I also have some nice Saxon cavalry which might get some table time. Thinking through my lead pile I already have some gothic cavalry which need a home and some Slavic Russ cavalry picked up ages ago at the St Helens Bring and buy about 5 years ago. I have some arabs to paint so they will like have less Islamic shields allowing them to play as mercenaries. In this 400 to 700 AD period. I also came across some heavy cavalry ………add to all this the kickstart which a buddy has offered me and I already have a lot to go at.

      Delete
  4. I've always liked the Hungarians and in fact bought them for my SYW Austrian army, just to be different. I still hanker after some Anglo-Saxon games, but struggle to find anything more interesting other than large scale skirmishes. We did enjoy Dux Bellorum but after a while the games seemed to be very similar after a while. As always love the landscape shot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve. I know what you mean with Saxon battles the style of combat is slightly predictable, of course when you get loads on the table they look impressive anyway.of course there is so much more to the period 400 to 1000AD and such a lot of variety.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks Neil the good quality sculpting helps !

      Delete
  6. Outstanding work on IR31! My IR31 is painted the same with light blue but recent research suggests this regiment had yellow facings and dark blue dolman and breeches. I prefer the light blue!

    For the flag, the green Hungarian flag is from an earlier period. Perhaps WAS? It's different. I would keep it.

    Lovely landscape and a new project. Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon, I can get away with a lot in 10 mm luckily the light blue is certainly striking. I like the green flag so I’m sticking with it again in the grand scale of 10 mm it isn’t that obvious.

      Delete
  7. Very striking little folk. Good choice of new project, no one can ever have enough Romans.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely toys Matt…
    And a new project… as Phil says one can never have enough Romans… I look forward to seeing this develop …

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly….the first step was getting a book πŸ‘

      Delete
  9. Grand landscape picture! Fine little chaps! New project? Why not?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your diminutive Hungarians look very nice Matt and a new project is akways a good idea!

    ReplyDelete