Saturday 28 August 2021

The next Late Romans

I have been working away at rebasing the next batch of Late Romans. They only needed limited repainting to blend them with my other figures and of course I repainted the shields (please don’t look to closely).

More late Romans, these are slightly less armoured than the previous unit, the challenge here was I wasn’t able to remove all the figure safely from their 1p bases so I had to stick them on in situ, luckily the Milliput I use has disguised it pretty well
I have also worked up and rebased the first group of archers. The idea I am working on here is flexibility so they can fight as an independent unit or as shown below……
They can merge into the infantry for combined units which I understand was how they formed up right at the end of the Roman Empire. So that is two good units and I have a few more bits before I tackle some cavalry units. I also have the light cavalry which are coming out of their dettol bath this weekend.


Finally the weather has been nice for a couple of days so I took the opportunity together out walking. One of our nearest hills is Blencathra. There are a number of routes to the summit but by far the best is Sharp Edge it is only short , but is quite an exposed and interesting scramble. A joy on a nice warm sunny day 😀
Some more units painted this weekend and loads of hobby stuff 👍



31 comments:

  1. Yes agree, another fine looking bunch of Late Roman figures there Matt and the scenery is pretty impressive too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith not quite enough for a battle yet but we’ll keep painting 👍

      Delete
  2. Fine progress on the late Romans and the outdoor shot is equally uplifting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil I have to say in good weather the Lake District is indeed good for the soul

      Delete
  3. Love the Romans, the mixed unit is a great idea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely looking Late Romans ! I think they look great!I've still got my dux Bellorum late Romans to get too,undercoated but not painted!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am gradually working up the force and with probably start with some smaller skirmish games when I have done some cavalry

      Delete
  5. Your latest Additions to your growing roman army look fab! Beautiful scenery too. What is the elevation of this peak?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon, blencathra is a bit over 2800 feet so not large but a character all of its own

      Delete
  6. Nice looking figures, Matt. I remember reading about those mixed units. It was one of those 'super armies' WRG fans used to bang on about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I am trying to spread my Romans across several hundred years so I am hoping for some flexibility

      Delete
  7. Those look great Matt and as always some lovely views of the lake district. Sadly I pass through it on the way to drop our daughter off in Edinburgh, so one trip I might stop off for some sight seeing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve, well if you do stop off or you needed a coffee stop let me know 👍

      Delete
    2. Where about are you Matt as it might make a nice stop off on the way back?

      Delete
    3. Penrith so on the M6 so almost certainly well placed. Obviously it all depends on timing but a tea stop and a tour of the dungeon seems a fine idea 😀

      Delete
    4. I fear I may be rather early for tea, as I set off around 6.00am, so pass Penrith around 9.00am!

      Delete
    5. Well let me know if/when you are coming past Steve and we can try and arrange a pit stop

      Delete
  8. Lovely figures- and paintwork!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice Late Roman additions Matt, but the landscape picture is my favourite as it lifts the spirits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David hopefully the Late Romans will build into a fighting force over the next few months ?

      Delete
  10. More lovely looking Romans Matt..
    The mixed unit works really well…for me it’s one of the things that says LateRoman/Byzantine army to me…

    A beautiful view this time… you could put that one in a frame.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly, I checked several other blogs/sources on the setup and the flexibility of the mixed unit seems to work.

      Delete
  11. Great set of Romans and a wonderful view.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very impressive band of Late-Roman infantry, Matt!

    ReplyDelete