Tuesday 17 August 2021

The Late Romans Arrive !

The kick start to the Late Roman expansion of my dark age collection was the kind offer to purchase a significant number of figures from Steve, he had picked them up at a show second hand. Whilst he had painted up a rudimentary lion rampant force they had never made it to the table. And as he is also painting imperial Romans this wasn’t a project which he is likely to finish. We negotiated a very reasonable price πŸ˜€ and going though the stuff was a bit like Christmas and Birthday rolled into one.

The infantry painted up, basing is the main issue although I also intend to repaint/refresh them enough to feel some ownership. I don’t want my Romans to look too clean πŸ˜€
The cavalry, quite a bit but I need to break this down a bit into units that work for me but it can be supplemented from below
Importantly quite a lot of unpainted stuff or poorly painted stuff which needs stripping and repainting. I haven’t counted in detail but think in total I will have 6 or so infantry regiments with 7 or so smaller cavalry units. I have spent some time thinking about how to base them, giving me the flexibility for different rule sets although I don’t want to go down individual figures. I have made a start at least….
So here are the first infantry unit, ‘fresh ingredients up the painting a little’ for example toning down the armour, repainted shields and rebasing. The idea is to have mixed units although that is hard to see form the photo with armoured men at the front, supported by lighter infantry. Archers will be based separately to fit on the rear on matching bases or separately depending on the period/style required. On the unpainted units I will probably use some transfers but these would have required quite a bit of cleaning before I could apply them so the first couple of units will be hand painted shields.
Here are some of the old painted figures who are up for stripping, a good number of Light Cavalry
They have dived straight into their dettol bath and we will see how this goes
And a landscape photo to share the colour of the heather is particularly spectacular at the moment 

Thanks for looking πŸ˜€


22 comments:

  1. An excellent acquisition there Matt supplemented by another splendidly uplifting landscape picture. You might do just a landscape post of your best pictures, it would be good for the soul of all of us

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David I think a landscape post might be a different blog altogether but glad you like them πŸ˜€

      Delete
  2. A handy addition to the collection. That's a lovely landscape photo too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you hopefully we will se some more units brought upto battle ready status in the next few weeks and monthsπŸ™‚

      Delete
  3. Nice acquisition, once you have done these I think we can go big quickly. I only have few Romans but loads of opponents

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need another project πŸ€” not even really sure how many units I have and as usual I don’t really have a designated end point. I think I have a pretty reasonable force when it is all sorted out

      Delete
  4. That's a handy acquisition. Look forward to seeing these completed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neil a new project, although really it is just an extension of my Dark Age collection really

      Delete
  5. A fine start, I look forward to seeing it develop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil I have been checking through your blog for inspiration πŸ‘

      Delete
  6. Some of the original paint jobs don't look too bad en masse, but that first refurbishment looks terrific.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence, indeed the painted figures are easily good enough for the table. The main issue with the painted figures is basing them a little more consistently, whilst I might use them for skirmish games I am still comfortable using multi figure bases. Oh the armour is too shiny for me as well, the benefit is bringing the painted units into a workable force gives a quite quick return for the effort.

      Delete
  7. This is an impressive windfall, Matt! Your first refurbished units look fab. Lovely landscape. Was this taken while out cycling?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I needed a new project πŸ˜€ the benefit of refurbishment is it pays back quickly the effort. The landscape is on Askham Fell and a walk although it is a popular off road mountain biking location as well which I sometimes cycle.

      Delete
  8. That is a nice collection of figures to land on your doormat, so to speak, and should keep you busy for a while. As always lovely scenery around where you live which is nice to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks …..yes another project amongst so many will keep me busy indeed!

      Delete
  9. An excellent start to your new project Matt…
    The first unit has scrubbed up rather well…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly I hope to get them out of their dettol later today 🀞

      Delete
  10. That's a great start to a new project.
    Looking forward to seeing how they progress.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stuart with the rebasing I might get a quick start but then th8gs will slow I suspect

      Delete
  11. They look like very nice figures Matt and the first updated unit looks great - a very nice "uniform" - my mate Julian has quite a few figures that look very similar to these, we often use them as Romano British for King Arthur type games - the huge oval shields are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith I am hoping in my usual way to stretch these guys from 3rd/4th century up to the 7th. Fighting, goths, Persians and then Arabs ?

      Delete