Friday 19 November 2021

Fieseler Storch 1/48 scale

Like most of us do I suspect I had a random thought after the last Sealion game about some better objectives in battles. I randomly spent several days thinking about blown up tanks, bunkers etc…. I also thought a downed German officer in his ‘Storch’ might be rather cool, having been blown away with the price of a suitable model I had to wait a couple of weeks then this one came up πŸ‘

This was almost a reasonable price at about £20. 
I don’t have too much patience for models like this really, and the kit was a little too complex for my liking with lots of delicate struts to be placed in the cockpit area ! I just left them out after all it is an objective, it took the paint pretty well as I only painted it with a brush, for a change even the transfers weren’t too hard to fix, total effort about 6 hours over 4 evenings
Anyway despite my fumbling fingers it came out ok and here it is with the officers discussing how they should escape, I’m sure we will see this in a Sealion game soon
Finally I haven’t shared many landscapes recently mainly due to inclement weather and indoor cycling , but I got out today on a blustery and part way up my chosen route this memorial to two local Shepards from the 1890’s any photos taken later when I enter the cloud cover were not as colourful !


26 comments:

  1. Fine addition. Landscape pictures always welcome as you know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David if we get some more sunny days I’ll get out again πŸ‘

      Delete
  2. Cool plane. Also a good artillery spotter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice little model, but yes, life's too short to bother with some of the pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you , I was especially frustrated by some internal details which were ridiculously fragile so I ignored them πŸ˜€

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Michal my model but not my design πŸ‘

      Delete
  5. A splendid find there Matt, a fine build and paint too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very kind Phil I am not a great or careful or patient model maker

      Delete
  6. Great work Matt. I have always been a fan of the Storch, even though it always looked like a decent gust of wind would blow it out of the sky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having done the model I have been looking up some details and apparently the key to its success was the front and rear flaps on the wings and the size of the wings compared to the body this allowed it to fly at very low speeds (a stall speed only just a little over 30 mph!!) which in turn enabled it to land in very small spaces ?

      Delete
  7. Great price and a great kit.
    One of my favourites.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a great price for a 1/48th scale kit and you've done a nice job on this. I recently bought a Pendraken 10mm one so could also use this as an objective too in some of my games. Nice memorial to the shepherds and hopefully you can get out more as the weather looks like it will get cold and dry soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve I think I might have a 6 mm version somewhere πŸ‘

      Delete
  9. I thought I had already posted but looks like something went awry. The Storch will be a very flexible model with many uses...in addition to being an objective marker, you could potentially use it for artillery spotting. The idea of two German officers down behind enemy lines with a full copy of the Seelowe plan trying to escape and evade their way back to friendly forces sounds like a good little scenario....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed Keith I definitely see a rescue missing with Sealion plans up for grabs……or are they fake to mislead the British like Mincemeat ?

      Delete
  10. Matt, you work on the plane is first rate. This will make a worthy objective or something to shoot down. Captivating landscape. Very tranquil and serene. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A lovely looking model Matt…
    This was one of the first modal aircraft kit I ever built… mine was from Airfix.
    A detailed kit is nice but if it gets in the way of being a gaming model do what looks good and doesn’t fall off…

    A lovely scenic view… as always.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess the detail is irrelevant as an objective my main worry is storage where the detail will most likely get broken off !

      Delete
  12. Think the plane came out looking pretty good for a nice objective or just some extra scenery. Atmospheric. πŸ˜€

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew hopefully we can shoot it down soon πŸ‘

      Delete
  13. Fumbling fingers? It looks great! Lovely landscape photo too.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete