Saturday 19 February 2022

Afghan (or other tribal) warriors and the Generosity of Wargamers

For 28mm figures I normally try and limit myself to painting a maximum of 24 figure units, this seems just enough to motivate me in the production line process I use for painting. Having completed sixteen metal Artizan Afghans next up were a box of Perry figures. Technically these are set for second afghan war so don’t come with enough ‘modern’ rifles for our later period around 1915. The box comes mainly with muskets and the option to have swords and shields. This wouldnt quite do, so I raided my early war Germans bits box and found just enough weapons to give nearly all the figures a rifle or musket.

I also wanted to build a machine gun unit, luckily I had a Turkish maxim and was able to adapt the figures with arm swops etc to a respectable machine gun unit.

A couple of command type figures
Maxim machine gun presumably captured from the Turks
Tribal warriors, I have kept the same highlighted colours as the previous units but simplified their clothing, even so they took a bit longer than I had hoped, happy with the results though and I think for bolt action I now have 7 or 8 units including the command and machine gun.

So onto the generosity of wargamers, in the past couple of weeks three people have decided to send me stuff from the kindness of their hearts. It may be a few feel uncomfortable with their lead piles or have stuff they know they won’t get round to, either way it goes to show how kind and generous wargamers can be. My sincere thanks to Steve J, Phil and Steve for their gifts, I am humbled 🥲 to protect the innocent I won’t identify the specifics but have just listed the items.
An Edith Cavell nurse figure to use as a vignette for our Great Game
Some British colonials, slightly early for our current great game but dangerously encourages me to think about the second afghan war….😱
A nice smaller caliber artillery piece….I might keep this without a crew so it can play in lots of different games. If anyone knows exactly what it is let me know
Oh….some buildings for the Peninsular project, looking forward to these 👍
A drummer figure…I’m thinking he is a Hessian but again I might be wrong ? Update and confirm he is Russian foundry SYW 

Finally I thought I would share some photos which are stuck in my mind at the moment inspiration for figures and units going forward 😀
RCW in Central Asia
I would like some of these if I can source them but surprisingly they are not easy to find ?
Clearly I looked at this one before main thing the latest figures

Need some of these

My latest foundry purchase obviously had these in mind even if the uniforms etc are very different.

Well that’s it for now, for those of you in the UK hope you survived the storm.

Hopefully a game this evening and lots more hobby stuff soon

KBO Matt










28 comments:

  1. Love the Afghans, especially the Maxim team

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neil the maxim was from some Turkish woodbine figures I had 😀

      Delete
    2. Ich möchte DR. AKHERE für die wundervolle Arbeit danken, die er für mich und meine Familie geleistet hat. Ich hatte eine ernsthafte Trennung von meinem Ex, aber als ich ihn um Hilfe bat, brachte er ihn mit seinen historischen Kräften zu mir zurück und half mir auch dabei einen Job zu bekommen, da er mich verzaubert hat, hat es mir wirklich gut getan und seit ich ihn kenne, ist mein Mann mir treu geblieben Hilfe, wenn Sie mit einer Trennung oder einem Eheproblem konfrontiert sind, wenden Sie sich einfach an diesen Mann, um Hilfe zu erhalten. Er wird Ihnen helfen, alles mit seiner Macht zu regeln. Bitte kontaktieren Sie ihn über seine E-Mail: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com oder rufen Sie / whatsapp: +2349057261346 an Ihre Probleme werden gelöst.





































































































































      Ich möchte DR. AKHERE für die wundervolle Arbeit danken, die er für mich und meine Familie geleistet hat. Ich hatte eine ernsthafte Trennung von meinem Ex, aber als ich ihn um Hilfe bat, brachte er ihn mit seinen historischen Kräften zu mir zurück und half mir auch dabei einen Job zu bekommen, da er mich verzaubert hat, hat es mir wirklich gut getan und seit ich ihn kenne, ist mein Mann mir treu geblieben Hilfe, wenn Sie mit einer Trennung oder einem Eheproblem konfrontiert sind, wenden Sie sich einfach an diesen Mann, um Hilfe zu erhalten. Er wird Ihnen helfen, alles mit seiner Macht zu regeln. Bitte kontaktieren Sie ihn über seine E-Mail: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com oder rufen Sie / whatsapp: +2349057261346 an Ihre Probleme werden gelöst

      Delete
  2. Superb work on those Afghans Matt, which reminds me that I can use mine for some RCW games when I eventually get around to it. I'm glad you liked the freebies and happy that they will get to see the light of day rather than lurking in the attic. I'll look out for some pics and try and send them over to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve yes I think the tribal warriors will see their first combat supporting some Russians 👍

      Delete
  3. Yep, agree on that Maxim and good shading across all of the figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm….my usual painting approach base, stain then 1 highlight 👍

      Delete
  4. Fine batch of Afghans, Matt! Wargamers are a generous and helpful lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some fantastic stuff there, just painted a British radio on a mule and have some Chinese lined up next

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, just gradually developing my forces…👍

      Delete
  6. The Afghans are really coming along, the MG team looks great.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stu 👍happy with the progress…just not sure how many tribal warriors I need perhaps some more artizan figures if I can find them ?

      Delete
  7. A very nice unit Matt

    You have some splendid inspirational images there as well…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly I can find myself spending a little too much time in the virtual word looking for cool photos of afghan tribal warriors

      Delete
  8. Very nice work and the conversion of the HMG team works very well. Lots of interesting bits n pieces donated too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith I am slightly overwhelmed by the kind gifts….but it does make me want to put them to good use 🙂

      Delete
  9. Some terrifically turned out tribesmen there Matt, that Maxim is a nifty little piece especially.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, They pinched it from some second hand woodbine turks I had. The crew were obviously pretty easy to notch together 👍

      Delete
  10. I really like the way you have done these Matt. Lovely work and a great choice of colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence 👍 I tried to keep the colours the same as the previous set to give some sense of uniformity if you can have that in a ragtag tribal force ?

      Delete
  11. Fine additions and interesting period photos too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David shame the photos are not in colour 👍 sometimes you come across a photo and then you realise the sculptor used the same inspiration 🙂

      Delete
  12. Lovely looking Afghans, nice work on the maxim team,wargames Atlantic are doing Afghan cavalry I think, in plastic and Russians from Russo Japanese war to the civil war, dangerously tempting!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, yes I saw the Atlantic ones, I have a few of their infantry as a test spruce but they are quite small in comparison. I am wondering if their cavalry will be the same ? I have also searched to see if they are coming out anytime soon ?

      Delete
  13. Ich möchte DR. AKHERE für die wundervolle Arbeit danken, die er für mich und meine Familie geleistet hat. Ich hatte eine ernsthafte Trennung von meinem Ex, aber als ich ihn um Hilfe bat, brachte er ihn mit seinen historischen Kräften zu mir zurück und half mir auch dabei einen Job zu bekommen, da er mich verzaubert hat, hat es mir wirklich gut getan und seit ich ihn kenne, ist mein Mann mir treu geblieben Hilfe, wenn Sie mit einer Trennung oder einem Eheproblem konfrontiert sind, wenden Sie sich einfach an diesen Mann, um Hilfe zu erhalten. Er wird Ihnen helfen, alles mit seiner Macht zu regeln. Bitte kontaktieren Sie ihn über seine E-Mail: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com oder rufen Sie / whatsapp: +2349057261346 an Ihre Probleme werden gelöst.





































































































































    Ich möchte DR. AKHERE für die wundervolle Arbeit danken, die er für mich und meine Familie geleistet hat. Ich hatte eine ernsthafte Trennung von meinem Ex, aber als ich ihn um Hilfe bat, brachte er ihn mit seinen historischen Kräften zu mir zurück und half mir auch dabei einen Job zu bekommen, da er mich verzaubert hat, hat es mir wirklich gut getan und seit ich ihn kenne, ist mein Mann mir treu geblieben Hilfe, wenn Sie mit einer Trennung oder einem Eheproblem konfrontiert sind, wenden Sie sich einfach an diesen Mann, um Hilfe zu erhalten. Er wird Ihnen helfen, alles mit seiner Macht zu regeln. Bitte kontaktieren Sie ihn über seine E-Mail: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com oder rufen Sie / whatsapp: +2349057261346 an Ihre Probleme werden gelöst

    ReplyDelete