Thursday 4 January 2024

Happy New Year and a Brussel Sprout !

 When is it too late to wish people a happy new year, hopefully not the 4th January ? With the family at home for Christmas I haven’t managed any games and only limited painting time although of course I have been thinking about hobby stuff quite a bit. As the kids have now ‘flown the nest’ again and after a couple of days tidying up I have started to get back into the groove, although only a few bits are completed.

First up some Norman knights, mainly painted before Christmas but still needed quite a bit of work to complete them. Not absolutely certain what make they are chunky metal picked up secondhand at a show, lovely figures and easy to paint. I picked the lighter colour scheme as they are more likely to see action in the Mediterranean or on Crusade than in wet and muddy England. Picking these out of the lead pile I realised I have quite a few more Norman cavalry (units) to paint.
Secondly a small rebased unit of French Heavies. Picked up from a mate they only needed a little colour matching for future units. On the list for this year are two more full units of Curassiers and some Carabiniers. Not sure when I will get to these though ?
Some Christmas fun I picked up a copy of Xenos Rampant.
Turns out of course that I already have a number of potential forces from my 40k collection, this saw me tidying up this small force of Aliens (Tyranids) and I am half way through completing some Imperial Desert troops who had languished in a box for many years, these lend themselves to a fun mini campaign sometime in the near future
A new year and New project. Well it is a good time to start something new, not a spur of the moment thing I have actually been thinking about this for a while going through the challenge of deciding scales and figures etc. more of this in the future but the plan at the moment is something larger than a skirmish game. Luckily I had told my family what I wanted.
Another present this time to myself ordered off eBay ! I have been listening to James Holland’s latest book on the invasion of Italy and thinking about the use of my 15mm WW2 armies, I had convinced myself that I didn’t want to collect another set of 15mm terrain knowing that for the scale of battles I would need quite a bit. Then I made the mistake of looking on eBay and this set of terrain popped up ! It was an easy decision, this is absolutely the type of terrain I prefer simple but very flexible as it is all modular. It is slightly old school being cast from plaster but not showing any signs of damage. To be honest there is so much a few chips wouldn’t matter. As a test I have started repainting a few bits as below
These are just a couple of the components 
They stack to make multiple versions of buildings, from these couple of shots you don’t quite get the effect but when painted I will set it all up. This gives me the option to play 15mm in both Northern Europe and the Mediterranean.

Thoughts for this year, I’m not making a list as such but here are the things that are floating in my head at the moment

Expanding my 28mm Sicily battles, perhaps with Italians and paratroopers
Continuing to paint my Napoleonics
Moving the ECW armies forward
Samurai of course we watched ‘Ran’ over the Christmas break for inspiration
Moving the AWI campaign forward
Xenos rampant
Tidying up some collections and selling off some languishing Warhammer stuff
Most importantly I need to improve my health as I have been unwell far too much this year.

The weather has been dreadful over Christmas but we did manage a few shorter walks

And what of the Brussel Sprout I hear you say ?

I add this to make you chuckle or perhaps groan, my Father who is now 90 orders his food on line to get it delivered, we visited him over Christmas. In his pre Christmas food order he must have ticked the wrong box on Sainsbury’s website as rather than getting a bag of Brussels sprouts they sent him One !!!!!! For those that need it, this is perhaps a great example of the world gone mad. I can only imagine what the shop packer was thinking when he weighed the single Sprout and then printed and labelled it up 🤯

Thanks as always for checking by, let’s all hope for a peaceful, healthy and productive New Year with lots of Brussel Sprouts they aren’t just for Christmas !

Matt



23 comments:

  1. Back in the groove then Matt? The Normans are nice, Crusader Miniatures perhaps? The sprout story is priceless! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy new year. Nice haul of stuff, thank you for my present - perfect and on the painting table at the moment. Waiting for the roofer to come and give me quote for my shed roof - which has leaked and wrecked the plaster. Tomorrow off to York to play Sons of Napoleon and then Scarborough ofr a week to refight Waterloo. Xenos rampant is a nice game, very simple and elegant (like KOW and HOW). We played Sci Fi over christmas at the club with some free online rules, that were also great. See you soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy new year good luck with Waterloo 👍

      Delete
  3. Good stuff to start the New Year off with a bang. The Normans look like Crusader ones to me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil yes could be crusader they are nice and chunky 👍

      Delete
  4. Looks like you are starting the New Year with a vengeance. Lots of interesting stuff to look forward to even including XR. I have a copy of XR but have yet to give it a read. My plan was to see if it would for Star Wars Legion. Perhaps I could be convinced to give your fantasy/sci-fi a try?

    Hope your health improves. Mine has certainly gone to hell over the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon…..yes it will definitely work for Stars wars as it is a very adaptable if not infinitely adaptable set of rules.

      Delete
  5. Wow - Samurai, I wasn’t expecting that? there is a ton of gorgeous stuff around for that. Of course for some, just the one sprout would be a sprout too much!

    I think Christmas and the New Year spirit are over ….. I know, because I have been on the road the past two days and the incidents of tailgating and impatience on the road are back up to usual levels :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm, I’m in the love sprout camp so one is never enough, looking forward to getting stuck into the Samurai during the year

      Delete
  6. good start to the new year. Every new year needs a new project. Tyranids were always my favorite GW alien.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew, not sure why I ended up with tyranids but they make good aliens !

      Delete
  7. Great work on the wargaming front Matt, but my favourite is the Brussel sprout story! We have my 95 year old mother in law here at present and six months ago, she did the opposite....instead of three Agria potatoes costing a dollar, she ended up getting 3 x 5kg bags of them 😆 🥔 🥔 🥔

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some beautiful stuff there Matt, and those Normans look terrific. I'll be looking forward to watching your Samurai army take shape. I did one in 15mm a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed painting it. Were you tempted to tell Sainsbury's where they could put their Brussel sprout? To be fair, if it were Waitrose I would half expect them to come that way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy New Year and great start to 2024, those buildings were a great find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neil sadly I don’t think they will work for ECW 🙁

      Delete
  10. Happy New Year to you and yours Matt and I hope your health does improve. The seemingly never ending wet weather here has meant virtually zero chance to get out on the bike, or even for a walk for that matter. At least the next week is set fair it would seem...

    A nice mix of projects and Xenos Rampant does look very good and I have plenty of ideas for it already. Looking forward to seeing how all of this progresses over 2024:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve….it has certainly been wet and getting wetter !

      Delete
  11. Cracking stuff Matt…
    I’ve heard good things about Xenos Rampant… given it’s author one shouldn’t be surprised.
    I’m looking forward to seeing your Samurai armies come together.

    The single sprout is ridiculous… I wonder if they would have sent a single pea 🙄

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete