Tuesday 3 September 2024

Norway 1940 : Bolt Action

Another jolly week visiting relatives and squeezing hobby time in around other stuff. Jonathan was visiting from over in Canada and we were looking for a fun game so time to roll out my Norwegian collection. Not a historical encounter but a basic Bolt Action breakthrough scenario.

The Norwegians will be advancing from the left supported by two Polish Infantry squads. The Germans are dug in on the high ground on the right and around the small building where the road heads of the table
The Germans have half their small force dug in on the hill, the Norwegians fail to call in a preliminary barrage so the Germans hold their position in ambush
They also have a 75mm gun as support
The Norwegian commander pushes the Polish infantry to the right and sets up their mortar in the cover of the small wooded hill
A wider shot of the German start position
The Norwegians have two units of elite ski mounted troops who advance across the road and fields, the Germans having moved up into the copse come under heavy fire and are pinned down
On the left the Poles are hit really hard as they cross the road and as soon as they break cover
The Norwegians start to advance knowing they need to break through in six turns
They are supported by a single French R35
After several failed attempts German reserves arrive and head towards the second wooded hill
The first unit of ski troops have been nearly wiped out but the second now sweeps up the hill to combat the defenders, who are cut to pieces
The ski troops then cleverly pull back down the hill awaiting the next turn before sweeping into the victory zone
The German machine gun is knocked out by mortar fire
We are now at six turns and the Norwegians have broken through for a pretty clear win, the Germans just couldn’t stop the tide, although they put up a pretty good fight. Almost all the Poles have been wiped out as have the leading ski troops. A fun game and great to get something different on the table.
Painting this week, after the game last week I realised we didn’t have enough wound markers and I had six more in the box
That should be enough ?
I’ve also finished my Tallarn Captain
Recently I also picked up a couple of rather poorly painted but cheap Spanish units off eBay. I was hoping these would need fairly limited work to get them table ready, here is the first unit. A new flag and a general reworking. They don’t look too bad and certainly good enough, my plan isn’t to create a whole Spanish army rather collection enough for a single Brigade to support the British. So perhaps 3 or 4 units plus some cavalry and an artillery piece ?
Finally Martin was having a clear out and gifted me some 28mm trucks, these are really cheap plastic models but actually look pretty good. He originally thought they were Opal Blitz but after me spending loads of time on the internet, I think I have them identified as Russian Zis-150 trucks. They look very close to American dodge trucks though so some will be painted for Sicily and some generic.
Here is one with some Germans in the back
Finally we’ve been out and about again, a trip to the very interesting Jodrel Bank in Cheshire
…and Appleby Castle where the Norman Keep was renovated about 3 years ago
It has a really interesting history, and a good collection of helmets to try on 
It took me ages to try them all on 😂

Phew busy at the moment, thanks as always for checking in.

A couple of days in London at the end of this week then hopefully some more gaming 

Matt😀

26 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. If I had enough space it would make a nice collection !

      Delete
  2. A very busy time! The game looks great the table is very nice indeed. The Spanish are a nice addition to your collection, the look grand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donnie when I have a few more Spanish I will test them in battle !

      Delete
  3. Another excellent game report Matt, & funny that I was just wondering where Jonathan had gotten too, as I haven't heard much from him! Perhaps we will get you to visit & get in a game with everyone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terry…..Canada a long way for a game but never say never ?

      Delete
  4. It's been said before Matt, but that is the way to do retirement! Great looking game squeezed in between multiple trips out and about....inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith……..the snap shot of retired life I share on the blog may create a false image of the ‘high life’ this morning my wife told me to do the ironing 😢

      Delete
  5. Great looking game Matt and enjoyable trips out

    ReplyDelete
  6. That photo looking down the side of the building at the 75mm gun highlights to me what a beautiful table it is Matt. Lovely stuff, and I think you may have enough casualty markers although I am constantly surprised how often we run out in our GDA2 games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence , I picked up some additional winter trees earlier in the year and they have made a big difference in the look of the ‘winter terrain’ , and yes I think I have enough markers 🙂

      Delete
  7. A lovely looking game Matt… It brought a chill to the room 😁
    You have once again been very busy…
    You ‘do’ retirement well.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly…our next battle will warm you up. In terms of retirement I’m just keeping busy 🙂

      Delete
  8. A fine looking game there Matt the Norway project has come along nicely and you are certainly filling in your time across all fronts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil I do like the period and the variation the terrain gives us 👍

      Delete
  9. Oh my! Lovely table! Great trip's photos too!
    Best

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice game, but trumped by hats!!!! Grand Spaniards, even the Space Fairy is fine!😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David……..plenty more fine stuff to come 👍

      Delete
  11. Another great game there Matt, lovely painting too, but really loved all those helmets, which I would loved to have tried on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve they would certainly make a great addition to the dungeon but sadly no space 🙁

      Delete
  12. Great sounding and looking game! Spanish look decent, I quite fancy doing them at some point! Good looking wound markers, I ended up doing a load of generic non period specific ones to add to my Napoleonic ones and was surprised how many I needed, trucks look good, generic 1930ish trucks for the use of!
    Best Iain caveadsum1471

    ReplyDelete
  13. That’s a cold looking game of bolt action.
    I love the pic with the helmets. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post, so many items to view. Game looked great fun, different from most I have seen . Figures looked good in painted reviews. As for the castle visiting, cool, we can't do that here.

    ReplyDelete