Monday 27 April 2020

14th Foot Bedfordshire Buffs : AWI

Lockdown continues......but the good news is I have some time off work. Not the holiday I had planned cycling around scotland but a welcome break in the circumstances. Hopefully some time to unwind, cycle locally and potter in the garden.....oh and do that list of jobs my wife seems intent on waving under my nose ! Enough of the domestic bliss I have managed to finish the next AWI unit, the last full unit of perry plastics I had (I have a half unit which can languish for a while yet) painted up here as the 14th Foot one of the Buff Regiments. Strangely I have struggled to find pictures only descriptions of their buff belts. Anyway I kept the contrast of white trousers, I only had a single flag bearer which was slightly annoying but at some point I might add a separate base ? With some spare figures when I get some spare. Hiding at the back are a couple of nice Foundry musicians who were kindly dominated by the good Mr Bickley (thank you David they may yet see action before Christmas which is my target)
The 14th Foot marching into action. I gave them the ‘slouch type’ hats to add some variety. I now have two small brigades but feel i need a change before more lace so will probably start on the Americans. Perhaps some Militia ?
Out of interest the 14th were the first unit washed with the newly aquired Dark Tone (see previous post) so i did a test as above on two rebels. The figure on the right above and left below is Agrax Earthshade, the Dark Tone used here straight from the bottle is thicker and tones the white down more. The unit came out fine ....what is does mean is I can eek out my Agrax by using the Dark Tone on those larger items.
Agrax on the left
Out of interest during during lockdown we have been strolling about town for some daily exercise (only when it is quiet etc...) and when it is less busy you notice things you don’t normally. I came across this plaque in the Main Street which i had never seen before. I have followed it up and found Trooper Pearson was for a while a local celebrity and his medals our in our tiny town museum, which i will now revisit (long time since i have been) when the lockdown ends ?

We played another game on saturday so will share this soon.......good luck and keep painting and cycling if you enjoy that sort of thing !

22 comments:

  1. Another lovely looking unit Matt...
    This is another one of these periods that my butterfly continually flutters towards...
    I am especially fond of the British uniforms... they look so... well... British 😁

    A nice bit of local Crimean War colour...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly....so far i have found the period far more colourful and varied than i had perhaps expected ? But i wont be doing the Crimea any time soon

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks .....and no Crimea not for me would required plenty of dedication then again perhaps in 10mm ?

      Delete
  3. Despite being plastic they turned out nicely, glad the metal figures helped raise the toneπŸ˜‰

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly lifted the tone although my painting skills may have let them down....all that lace !

      Delete
  4. Excellent work, Matt!

    Painting and cycling remains active on my side of the pond. Of late, most cycling has been indoors due to weather but that should turn around later this week.

    Cycling around Scotland? That sounds fun! My late spring cycling includes a planned ascent on the "Going to the Sun Highway" in Glacier National Park before the highway is open to motor vehicle traffic. With over 3,000 ft of climbing, it will offer a good test of fitness.

    https://www.moon.com/travel/national-parks/bicycling-going-sun-road-glacier-national-park/

    Stay well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We seem to have hit a spell of hot, dry and settled weather so I am making the most of it. I am very lucky as which ever direction i head out from my house is beautiful cycling terrain the only difference is the size of the hills ! I will check out the sun highway ! Best do it before it gets hot

      Delete
    2. The photos you have been sharing of your cycling landscapes certainly are inviting. No heat here yet. May and June can be a bit wet. Since I live up on a hill, I must endure a tough climb at the end of every ride.

      Since cycling is limited to only certain hours of the day during summer season, the best time to tackle the "Highway to the Sun" is before the summit has been plowed of snow and open to vehicular traffic in mid June. If you consider this route, remember your bear spray!

      Delete
    3. That sound like an epic adventure, not sure if it is good or bad but we don’t have to worry about bears at least πŸ‘

      Delete
  5. Well done Matt, great looking unit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Phil....at least i am keeping busy

      Delete
  6. Lovely looking unit of Brits! Thanks for the wash samples, food for thought, is it just your AWI that you prime white? I only ask as I am painting figures previously primed white and quite enjoying it!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The benefit of the shade is it isnt too expensive either. As to priming I vary black grey and white. Black tends to be anything with lots of armour or stuff like WW2. Grey for ACW ad white for anything with lots of colour such as Moors and now the AWI where they have lots of white. It is just the way i do it but dont like painting lots of white over black and prefer to use shade

      Delete
  7. Steady the Buffs, great stuff Matt

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely AWI unit and nice little piece of local history!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great looking AWI stuff. You’re really on a roll with it. Hope you have a good enough vacation. πŸ˜€

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can you play world war z split screen? Left 4 Dead does it, so does World War Z support this format too? World War Z releases today on PS4.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice AWI figures, Matt. A period I have some interest in, but too invested in Napoleonics for now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. job today And with the recent unveiling of the new iMac, Steve Jobs had an idea.

    ReplyDelete