Sunday 24 January 2021

Antietam : Sixth Corps at Dunker Church Part 1 : Introduction and Mechanics

I have decided to break this into several posts as it may never happen otherwise. The battle still rages down in the dungeon and I have taken far too many photos of the action. So here is the intro bit at least. Following the initial skirmish (Virtual Game) we played a couple of weeks ago and from being involved in the remote Rivoli game that Jonathan is running i hankered after something bigger. Returning to Brad Butkovich’s Antietam scenario book ‘Brave Hearts Trembled’ (Highly recommended by me) I found I had sufficient forces to run the ‘what if’ scenario he includes there Sixth Corps at Dunker Church. 

I won’t run through the complete background, get the book, but in summary the battle takes place in and around the Dunker Church at mid-day on September 17th 1862. The battle had started earlier in the morning slightly to the north around the famous cornfield. Slightly east of here late morning had been the battle for the sunken road. At this point in the battle elements of the Sixth Corps were brought up. Historically a ‘botched’ and confused attack went in under Colonel W Irwin to try to retake the West Woods. Historically the Federals pulled back and this area saw skirmishes and artillery duels rather than any significant combat. Brad’s scenario poses the question what if a more determined assault had been made with the objective of both sides to hold the high ground around the Dunker Church.

Here is the Dunker Church back in 2016, the Hagerstown Pike running off into the distance and the West Woods in much evidence.

Here is a shot I took looking directly North, it is actually the position for much of the fighting earlier in the day closer to the East woods which you can see in the distance.

Scenario Details and Orders of Battle

As always I have amended the scenario slightly to fit my rules and collection although they are very much based on Brad’s book. I have rounded troop numbers into bases. The union 3rd brigade starts on the battlefield spread out and poorly co-ordinated, but are soon joined by the 1st Brigade under Colonel Torbert and then General Brooks 2nd Brigade arriving from the East along the Sunken Road this will arrive in about 2 hours or 6/7 game turns. I had roughly set each game turn as 20 mins. The Confederate forces are a real mixed bag of brigades and units who are reforming and regrouping after the morning battles or being pushed back from the sunken road. 



This all then translated into the starting position below, looking here directly South down the Hagerstown Pike.

Game Mechanics

Now the fun bit 😀 I was playing this game with two remote generals (Well done Steve and Martin for stepping up) but I have made their lives pretty hard. They were provided with some rudimentary background to the position, their own but not the enemy OB’s and the sketch map below. No photos at the start on the map was a rough outline to their initial deployments but again only a poor written description of where the enemy would be reinforcements etc... they have been given fairly clear objectives which I won’t list here as the game is still playing and they might or might not be the same ?

Union deployment map
Confederate deployment

They have then been tasked with ordering their subordinate commanders in whatever way they feel fit, diagrams or simple written orders.....in fact they have both done a mix of each 😀 again I can’t share them at this stage. After each hour of battle they have received reports back from their brigades or individual regiments indicating the position ont he ground, enemy deployment etc.. with tantalising but important information. They have also been provided with gradually increasing personal views from their characters Generals Smith and Walker so hopefully the fog of war is gradually lifting, (I was worried at one stage ! as General Smith had forgotten to order his Artillery to deploy! ) I have also shared with them two point of view telescope views taken by General Walker and General Brooks.



From a mechanics perspective I have then used my house rules based on bolt action and followed wherever possible the orders set, they have the added challenge that they can’t order everything each turn, horses just can’t get across the battlefield that quickly. So far it has been a delight to play and I will be doing this again highly recommended to avoid any thoughts of coronavirus or pretty much anything else very very absorbing. Here then are some shots taken so far, I am judging that as the fog of war clears this won’t give too much away to Smith and Walker we are I sense about half way through and the die to some extent is cast !
View from Law’s Brigade in the High ground behind the Dunker church 
(I have also been playing with putting in sky on my photos thoughts welcome as to if this is worth it ?)
A wider shot of Confederates at the start Walkers Brigade in the distance by the Cornfield
The initial assault goes in by Irwin’s brigade 
1st Brigade arrives from the North East
....and then after about 2 hours battle Brooks arrives with his Vermont boys. Tired but up for a fight

So the battle rages and I am heading off for some fresh air but will be playing some more turns this afternoon. When it is complete I will try, not sure how, to merge the battle with the orders so you get a sense of the confusion created by this approach.

Matt


27 comments:

  1. Looking good and I like the idea of fog of war

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neil....the fog is gradually lifting !

      Delete
  2. Looks great, Matt, and I am sure your generals are enjoying the experience you have offered up for their pleasure. It will be interesting to read of their impressions when all is done. Beautiful layout, as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan , this has been really engrossing over the last couple of days and a tonic. It is very close at the moment with now three hours of battle played ! Cant give too much away in case Gen Smith or Walker are reading !

      Delete
  3. You have raised my spirits no end with this, thank you. I can't raise enough enthusiasm to solo game, so painting is my outlet throughout this malarchy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David it has been an absolute tonic for me...planning, setting up playing , orders etc etc .....if I am honest it really doesn’t feel like a solo game to me as I am only marginally in control. I feel more like a enthusiastic observer watching the battle unfold, think that is why I have taken way too many photos ! I might blow my mind and do another video 😀

      Delete
    2. If in doubt try it I would be more than happy to be a remote general 👍

      Delete
  4. Matt, fantastic on so many levels, a real wargaming treat for all three of you. Look forward to reading whatever falls out of this opening.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very impressive board layout, Matt. The photography is great oo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean game played and a couple more posts including way too many photos

      Delete
  6. General Walker is watching and he is having a brilliant time of it. Its the most wargaming fun I've had in ages. Think it will be my turn next to set one up, if only to get my own back on Matt

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well this is a nice appertiser Matt and am looking forward to the main course reveal and a post game dessert course on how it all played out. I love this sort of thing and have enjoyed doing something similar, but on a simpler level, as it is great fun watching the Generals generating their plans and then see how things unfold as the game progresses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve part 2 is up to be closely followed by the photo barrage !

      Delete
  8. Looking great Matt! Fantastic project!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting thoughts on the fog of war and the photos are great, the sky works really well for me!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain , this has been a very enjoyable distraction over the last week or so and very absorbing 👍

      Delete
  10. Reads well Matt, interesting to see how the fog of war makes for an challenging command decisions.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stu....I have blogged the battle overview in part 2 I think both players found it both entertaining and challenging at the same time

      Delete
  11. Splendid stuff Matt...
    Beautifully painted and presented as always...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly post 3 will be the photo dump from the game 👍

      Delete
  12. Fabulous post Matt, you are raising the blogging bar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too kind too kind, part 3 will be the photo dump !

      Delete
  13. Great exercise in remote generalship. It’s a great setting too with the Antietam scenario and I would have high expectations of things playing out dramatically. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks stew...hard to do a spoiler now as I have blogged the overview of the battle in part 2 ...photos to follow 👍

      Delete