Wednesday 7 September 2022

Walking with the Romans

I had promised to share some details of my recent walk across the Lake District, from Ravenglass to Penrith linking four Roman forts and where ‘possible’ following the Roman roads. Rather than a huge list of photos I have put them into this short 6 min video. Don’t be put off by my face as there are only a few pictures of me and mainly nice pictures of the Lake District.


Since getting back from Wales I have also managed to finish off some painting
My first bit of French artillery, the Warlord pennisular army boxed set comes with this but they have the wrong hats, never mind I didn’t have the energy to change them.
I have also pulled these Norwegians together for early 1940, they are actually Finns but hey ! Here I have done some head swops to try and match them in with my other converted Norwegians. Will we have some special rules for them and probably play them as veterans giving the Norwegians a little more variety.

Hope you are all well, thanks for popping by. If people like the video let me know I may do something similar for Offa’s Dyke but it is a bigger project.

Matt๐Ÿ˜€


27 comments:

  1. That is a VERY cool video montage Matt - I wont ever be able to match that level of presentation for my bush walks, unfortunately! The Napoleonic gun and ski troops are very nice too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith really not too hard, I use movie maker on my iPad which like all apps is easy after a couple of attempts.

      Delete
  2. Most interesting video Matt! Wonderful landscape to walk amongst, but can't help feeling sorry for any Romans posted there! Good progress too on the French artillery and the Norwegian ski troops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David yes would have been a cold and unpopular posting.

      Delete
  3. Great video Matt and some stunning scenery you had there:). The miniatures aren't too shabby either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Matt, this was a beautiful and inspiring video of your recent trek. More please!

    I am anxious to see the Norwegian ski troops take to the field.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon I am trying to work out how to share the Offa’s Dyke pictures as there are too many. We’ll get the Norwegians out soon

      Delete
  5. A splendid video Matt, most informative and somewhat relaxing to watch. Nice work on the figure front too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil some of the hills in wales are not so relaxing but enjoyable all the same

      Delete
    2. I meant the Lake District not wales my walks have got jumbled up

      Delete
  6. Great video Matt, some stunning scenery

    ReplyDelete
  7. Agree, great video sir!
    Best regards

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thoroughly enjoyed the video (and the new additions to the collection). Did you encounter many other walkers en route?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence, the Lake District can be a fairly busy place so yes people about although depending on the path/track you can usually find some isolation

      Delete
  9. Great walking. Looks like a few places to visit sometime

    ReplyDelete
  10. Join the army and see Cumbria, lonely life in those forts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were a tough group no doubt and I suspect Northern England wasn’t a popular posting ?

      Delete
  11. Great video. Something I always wanted to do. But being 74 and in the US this isn't going to happed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gary. The forts of course can be visited by car with limited walking in between ๐Ÿ‘

      Delete
  12. I enjoyed the video. It great that you have such historical landmarks around you. ๐Ÿ˜€

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew yes surrounded by history and beautiful landscapes

      Delete
  13. A top video Matt… and soundtrack…
    You live in a very beautiful part of the country.

    Nice toys as well.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete