Friday 14 October 2022

Persians, Celts a Battle and more

A bumper post this week as I catch up before the weekend. I have been carrying a bit of an ankle injury which is annoying but has provided more time for painting, so a silver lining to the cloud. First up I finished the second unit of ‘Celts’ or lightly armed dark age warriors.
Just for variation I gave these some square shields which I had lying about, colours are to match with the previous unit, I may make a couple of even lighter units next ?
More on Persians below but inspired I picked up a couple of packs of foundry Persian archers at Partizan and here they are mustering out, you will spot a couple of spare plastic figures as I only picked up two packs. 
A game this week down at George’s defunct post office. My Persians vs his Seleucids, my second battle using War and Conquest, so a slightly better idea of what was going on although as they are from the WAB stable they do have a lot of detail which is easy to forget.
My Persians are really Early/Achaemenid so were always going to find it tough against a more heavily armoured enemy, although for fun I included a couple of chariots, as I found out later these are not well treated in the rules both being easily knocked out by range fire before striking home 🙁
Of course I did have lots of ranged weapons
The plan seemed to be hold our position and shoot hoping we would kill enough before we got cut to pieces, initially this worked quite well, but with rolls to hit, armour saves and then a kill roll my shooting only had a limited impact
Disappointingly my one unit of mercenary hoplites fell apart in their first combat due to a disastrous morale roll by me, and as the heavy Seleucid infantry pushed forward the writing was on the wall
The Persians stuck in for a while
Mercenary hoplites flee the field leaving the even lighter armed Persian spearmen to face the Seleucid phalanx , that’s not going to go well !
They flee too and the army begins to crumble
Some more poor morale checks saw my cavalry flee as well
And then everybody joined in 
Only the Sparabara infantry blocks were left and despite turning the sky black with arrows they couldn’t hold the centre.

A fun game as I learn the rules, more complex than I usually play. We discussed how these rules always put a disadvantage on light cavalry as they don’t have the space to fulfil their true battle field role, they are expensive, points wise but effectively are immobile archers, this does mean the rules in a head on battle favour heavy infantry. One option is to keep the armies the same size but increase the playing area ?

Last weekend I made it to Partizan, a splendid show caught up with quite a few people which was nice, bought some stuff (well we all need more stuff) and spent a long time looking at the games on show, as others will have said they are generally very high quality so great inspiration. Here are just the ones which caught my eye.

Vietnam (well done Dave 👍)
Beautiful battle of the bulge , interested in the winter terrain here for my Norwegian games
Some ACW
Hastings, I felt there were too many Saxons and not enough Normans ?
Big scale Command and Colors Leipzig I think
A smaller Napoleonic battle, this was a really nice scale of battle 
Massive SYW
Lovely desert terrain, thinking of this for Al Andalus although this was a nice WW2 desert battle
Finally a Norman vs Viking mash up beautiful stuff…..but storage !!!!!

Day after the show after staying with friends I had the day in London…..yes more Romans this time visiting the small remains of the Roman Amphitheatre at the Guildhall
Shown here on a reconstruction
The remains were found during construction of the art gallery and have been preserved in the basement, there isn’t much but it’s free 
These remaining walls were part of the entrance way according to the info boards
The guildhall also has this on display the charter from William the First to the city granting various rights and privileges in 1067

A trip then to the British museum on the way to the station, having been many times before I focussed just on a couple of displays, mainly the Persians, Early Iranian and Greeks
I think I have some immortals somewhere to paint ? I’m off to find them after this post
Specifically I wanted to see this Cyrus Cylinder as it was mentioned in the book I am currently reading on the Persians
A Corinthian Greek helmet.
A depiction of a Persian archer 
Some lovely depictions of Greeks fighting

Another battle this weekend amongst other stuff thanks for checking in 😀

Matt

24 comments:

  1. Some nice looking figures, cool looking games and couple of interesting visits....sounds like you have been having a pretty good time lately, Matt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith I’m keeping myself busy at least 👍

      Delete
  2. Great looking Celts and Persians, lovely looking game and of course we all need stuff! The Napoleonic game and the motte and Bailey Castle looks great I'm tempted to build one, but storage, still I have a cunning plan!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain , many of the games at Partizan were impressive…I didn’t ask the guys where they stored the Norman castle !

      Delete
  3. You kick off retirement with a full slate of activities. Great to see you and George connecting for a game at his place. Next time, maybe your Persians will see victory? What is on your gaming table this weekend?

    Very envious that you can pop down to the British Museum when the mood strikes. Very jealous. I read about an exhibit recently that I would dearly enjoy seeing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon, yes the Persians need some redemption at some point, this weekend likely a return to Operation Sealion. My son is in London so we often visit BM when we are in London visiting. It really helps going fairly often so you don’t have to take everything in as the collections are vast. Which was the exhibit ?

      Delete
    2. It was Hieroglyphs: Unlocking Ancient Egypt.

      https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2022/oct/10/ancient-egypt-gods-sphinx-pharaohs-monsters-hieroglyphs-rosetta-stone-british-museum

      Delete
    3. Yes that is just on at the moment but wasn’t on Monday when I visited, I have been to quite a few ‘special’ exhibitions they can be a bit mixed if I’m honest.

      Delete
  4. Nice post Matt, your game with George instantly reminds me of the sort of game that Historical Kings of War might be useful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm, War and Conquest is as I’m sure you know an off shoot of Warhammer Ancient, as is Kings of War not surprisingly they produce battle setups which look similar.

      Delete
  5. Great to see your Persians on the field of battle, even if the result didn't go their way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neil it has enthused me to paint some more anyway 👍

      Delete
  6. We will use the full table next time Matt, will suit the Persians better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Needs to be some benefit to those lovely Horse archers rather than just up armouring the infantry, although of course that is what happened historically over a few decades and why everyone ended up with heavy cataphracts !

      Delete
  7. Busy, busy, busy there Matt. Classy Celts and pretty Persians to boot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil 👍 more pretty Persians on the way 👍

      Delete
  8. There is certainly a lot of variety in this post Matt. Interesting stuff, and I really like your latest batch of Celts. Hope the ankle gets better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence some more celts soon hopefully but I have been trying to get some more Persian cavalry finished as well 🤔

      Delete
  9. Fine looking figures there on the painting front Matt and the game does look rather splendid. The one thing I miss of being in London is the ability to visit the museums and galleries so easily. Maybe one day my wife and I should take a short break there to be culture vultures for a few days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve obviously we are a good train journey from London but we go fairly regularly and used to go with work quite often. It would be easier if my son could afford to buy a house but no chance of that at the moment. I think of all the museums the ‘British’ is my favourite and the one I know the best.

      Delete
  10. Keeping busy there Matt! Nice figures added, a good game too. Great to meet and chat at Partizan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David and thanks for the early Christmas present 😀

      Delete