Tuesday 20 December 2022

Seasonal wishes and optional Quiz……….

That time of the year when we wish everybody a Happy Holiday season apparently only about 45% of the worlds population celebrate Christmas. Anyway I alluded to a new project in the offing for 2023, I should say painting is already in progress, but rather than just tell everybody I thought I would run a Festive quiz. 



Now I am far too humble (realistic) to think that many people are interested in what I am doing in my next Wargaming project, however, I think there are at least a couple of you. So for those with some spare time over the holiday season and a tremendous knowledge of military history I have a set a quiz.

The answers are all one word (except one which I have noted), the first letters of each of the answers form a two word anagram which can then be converted into my new project, (the anagram isn’t really related but should help you get the letters correct) Feel free to simply huff and pass this post by or spend ages trying to work out the answer. There is no prize other than the sweet knowledge if you answer all the questions without looking them up that you have a far better and broader knowledge of Military history than I do 😀

Questions
1. British ground forces commander in Norway May 1940
2. First major battle in the Anglo-Zulu war
3. The last English king to die in battle
4. The victory which cost Sir John Moore his life
5. First name of the Major General who lost his life leading the assault at Ciudad Rodrigo
6. American General who captured fort Ticonderoga 1775
7. Battle which saw Burnsides futile frontal assault on Confederates in 1862
8. Nelsons most famous victory
9. Greek Persian battle 490BC
10. Battle where English longbows rules the day 1415
11. Bravest of the Brave
12. Fredericks inconclusive victory may 1757
13. The most hotly contested American landing beach Normandy1944
14. Muslim rules area of Iberian Peninsular upto to 1492 (two word answer)
15. Major and very bloody Union defeat in Georgia
16. British commanding officer at Bunker Hill
17. Crimean battle 14 September 1854
18. Famous Parliamentarian victory in Northamptonshire 1645
19. Anglo-Saxon king January 1066

Good luck Matt


33 comments:

  1. Happy Christmas, Matt! Your Christmas card looks very familiar. I believe I fought over this ground.

    I will give your challenging puzzle a try but there are some I will need to look up. I will try without first and attempt to guess the missing letters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon yes I think you may have been fighting this battle 👍 I have high hopes you can answer most without help !

      Delete
    2. I can answer most but the anagram has me stumped!

      Delete
  2. No clue, have answered all the questions. OK google has. I got about 5 right. But terrible at anagrams. One of the words may be a large north western hemisphere country, or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent this is obviously harder than I thought 👍

      Delete
  3. Hi Matt, best wishes for Christmas and thanks for a year of great posts with nice tables and a ton of work behind them.

    I can answer 8 questions off my own bat and have not accessed Google from the rest. I am no good at the anagram thing, but I think your project is taking us to Roman times :-)

    Not to be a spoiler to others, is the Roman Commander of your project Gaius Flaminius?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An excellent 8 Norm….I think once you have given them a go without help it is fine to Google. Sadly Romans is incorrect 🙁

      Delete
  4. Merry Christmas Matt!
    Best wishes for you and yours

    Best regards

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merry Christmas, Matt. Like others, I could answer a few of these myself.....Nelsons famous victory, for example....but not enough of them to produce an anagram! Seems like Norm has some ideas though.....or is he barking up the wrong tree?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith , Norm is indeed climbing the wrong tree 🎄

      Delete
  6. Merry Christmas Matt, nice post and chuffed with about 10 points, not quite Mastermind quality. Merry Christmas to you and yours...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stu 10 seems pretty good to me…👍

      Delete
  7. Merry Xmas to you and yours. Google help required for some but no idea as anagrams (this long) too tricky for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve ….I’m thinking I need to give some clues ?

      Delete
    2. Maybe or split the clues into parts, with each relating to the word?

      Delete
  8. Well, I know the new project has a 'T' in it at least. Looks like a fun quiz and I'll come back to it if work settles down in the next day or so like I hope it will. All the best for Christmas and thanks for some entertaining posts over the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your support Lawrence, there is definitely a T in the answer 🙂

      Delete
  9. Merry Christmas Matt. Going to take some time to work the anagram out

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not smart enough to try the quiz but I shall wish you a very merry Christmas; I enjoy your blog even if I don't comment much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Padre a merry Christmas to you and glad you get some enjoyment from the blog 👍

      Delete
  11. Got 11, but no idea on the answer. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I managed 11 too. I am hopeless at anagrams but I will find the other answers and peruse over the weekend. Merry Christmas 🎄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done Phil …..don’t take it too seriously please 🙂

      Delete
  13. Merry Chrimbo matey! Nice quiz but not publishing my score 😂
    Really enjoyed the blog this year. Looking forward to seeing more next year.
    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt …hopefully lots more to come in 2023

      Delete
  14. Merry Christmas to you and yours Matt, nice idea these questions...and not so easy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you Phil…rest assured I didn’t know lol the answers I had to look them up !

      Delete
  15. Merry Christmas Matt…
    My brain is in no condition to solve problems at the moment…
    So I will have another gin instead 🤪

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete