Wednesday 11 January 2023

The Americans are coming !

I have started the year with the new WW2 Western Desert project. Having ordered some more early tanks, mainly Honey’s and Valentines there was a slight delay in delivery. In the gap I pushed on to get the Sherman’s from the Tobruk box painted up.
Here they are nice little models although they can only be used from 2nd El-Alemein onwards and that would mean I would need to collect Afrika Corps ? The earlier tanks have now arrived but have been a surprising challenge to put together so will take a bit longer to paint up.

So what of the Americans, well some time ago I was gifted some odd American figures, once again following a conversation with Steve he dug out a few more, a dangerous idea came into my head to build a ‘small’ American force with which to play Chain of Command perhaps focussing on Mediterranean operations Sicily and Italy. The Germans I can field although their uniforms are really early war rather than 1943, but I have some in great coats I could mix in. I do have some suitable German armour. One further advantage is I am planning terrain for Peninsular Spain and this easily works across into Sicily and Italy. So a plan is hatched……and I have cracked on with all the figures I could cobble together.
Some command options, paratroopers but I have painted them in lighter Mediterranean type uniforms.
Three junior commanders and BAR teams 
I have cobbled two .30 cal machine guns together
and all the infantry I have at the moment…..
The force so far, added to this is the near future will be a .50 cal HMG, six more infantry a mortar team and thanks to a very generous lend lease arrangement with Phil a M3 tank perfect for the period. I don’t quite have enough yet to field the force but I’m on the look out for bargains on eBay. One thing I have noticed is how easy the Americans are to paint as all their kit is the same colour.

And finally I had some book tokens from Christmas so I was required to order a book…….
Hoping this one will be a good read πŸ™‚

Hopefully the Napoleonic British will finally get finished in the next day or so…and more gaming planned for the weekend , until then thanks for popping by πŸ˜€

Matt

24 comments:

  1. Nice tanks and the Americans look pretty damned good too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lend-Lease arrangement with Phil? Now, that is funny.

    Looking great, Matt! It will be fun to see the Americans fighting their way across North Africa, Sicily, and Italy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon hopefully not to far away for some American games

      Delete
  3. Off to a flying start on the latest WWII projects, good news to hear your British Napoleonic force is near to reaching the games table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil…the British sadly need some more units before they can fight the french but at least they are on the scorecard πŸ‘

      Delete
  4. Great looking tanks. The beauty of gaming in the mediterranean is your scenery covers multiple theatres

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neil I am hoping I can flex terrain across the Mediterranean, I already have some ‘Greek’ stuff which I can use

      Delete
  5. Lovely stuff Matt. How long are you finding it takes to assemble and paint the Flames of War tanks? I have been thinking of putting together a few from my pile and seeing your work is providing inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence. The official flames of war tanks from the Tobruk set are very quick about 15 or 20 mins per tank especially if you are doing several. I am also doing some Plastic Soldier company tanks which have been much more annoying to put together , far more fiddly πŸ™

      Delete
  6. A splendid start to the year on several fronts Matt, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look pretty good Matt and for BA or CoC, you only need about this many for a good game!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith…. I need just a few more to bulk out the infantry squads, ideally for BA I would like four squads, and for CoC the infantry need three man BAR Teams. Six are on the painting table at the moment πŸ‘

      Delete
  8. lovely work on these figs, chain of command looks like a good game

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have loads of 28mm US armoured infantry

      Delete
    2. Thanks Martin….are your Americans WW2 or Vietnam ?

      Delete
  9. Very nice looking tanks and yanks mate. Enjoy that book too.
    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful stuff Matt, the Desert War does seem to be all the rage.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
  11. They all look fantastic, and hurray for Steve talking you into GIs in the Med! ;)

    V/R,
    Jack

    ReplyDelete