Monday 2 January 2023

Looking back and forward ?

As the children have now returned to their normal lives and our Christmas gradually comes to a close a time for reflection (They have left both me and my wife with nasty colds which doesn’t help).

Regular followers will know I don’t keep any specific data, games played or figures painted as I prefer not to be target driving. So first up just a selection of photos of some of the games played in the dungeon in 2022 it’s only a short video πŸ˜€


My thoughts on 2022…….
I think I have played about an average number of battles , one a week being about right for me these have been across a pretty good range of my collections. The development of the Norway 1944 project has been new and we have had a welcome return to 15mm Normandy. We have seen the first ‘hex’ based games played all of which have been really enjoyable and are ideal for remote gaming. We have started the Smolensk campaign which I am really looking forward to in 2023 is inevitably leading me down lots of different rabbit holes. Looking across the battles my gaming has gradually leaned more to historical settings and battles. What is missing ?  Perhaps the only significant collections which hasn’t seen any action is the 6mm Eastern Front, this is a shame but as we all know there is only so much time, and although the RCW merges into the Back of Beyond battles we haven’t gamed that much this year if at all. Hopefully we will see some of these in 2023.

Next up a couple of Christmas gifts

Well this can only lead to more fun πŸ‘
My wife bought me this from a charity shop, a rather splendid bronze of Lord Kitchener, of course a slightly controversial character, but then I also have a General Lee and Stonewall Jackson. This led to an interesting discussion with my son about which military figures are acceptable or not ? I did purchase another thing but decided I just had too much, so I didn’t open it, it can wait a while.

Looking forward to 2023….
I’m sorry if my quiz caused any headaches it was only a bit of fun. Anyway ‘one’ of the new projects for 2023 developed out of one of our 15mm post-game conversations was the North African Campaigns in WW2. After a relatively short period of time considering scales etc we set on 15mm and jointly bought the Flames of War Tobruk starter set.

Steve will be playing Italians, myself the British. I have been relentlessly listening and watching videos of the campaigns some of which has thrown up a few issues with the starter set, for example why they have included Sherman’s ! However, I have been seeking out bargains and purchasing stuff to build what will initially be a tank based British army. Focussing initially on the earliest parts of the campaigns.
Not part of the set but these arrived before Christmas so got done first
Three Grants from the starter set
The six Crusaders from the set, all armed with the earlier 2lbr guns, we are giving the Italians a chance.
I also came across some barbed wire so sorted a bit of terrain.
Next up I have more tanks to build and paint although at this scale they don’t take too long. I also have some anti-tank guns. No infantry at this stage but I am sure it will arrive at some point. The hardest thing is stopping myself from thinking about a German force ! Although this may happen if I see the starter army really cheap πŸ™

What else for 2023….
So many thoughts and ideas, here is a random selection from my head this morning

Smolensk Campaign
I have also started building an American Infantry force in 28mm with an idea to play battles in Sicily and Italy.
Some larger battles I would like to game Plataea and Marathon
The Eastern Front in 6mm
Progressing our AWI campaign
Gettysburg
Seven Years War French
I have some Poles for Norway 1944 and do NEED to get some French Alpine troops.

……the list goes on and the next finished unit is actually going to be British Napoleonics πŸ˜…

I would like to attend more shows and perhaps get back to more demonstration games, but I need to start buying a little less is some genres, for example the Dark Ages where I have quite a lead mountain needing attention and dare I say have enough figures.

Thanks to all of you who regularly visited my blog in 2022 your encouragement is most welcome. Happy gaming in 2023

Matt




28 comments:

  1. Happy new year. Good plans for the future. Let's game soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Martin, yes will be in touch πŸ‘

      Delete
  2. Wow! You announce a new project and already you field an artillery park and armor! Great job on all of your new additions. Can you stick to fielding only the Allies? Hmm. I wonder.

    Your plans for 2023 look very interesting. I look forward to another enjoyable year of facing you across the remote table in battle.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy new year Jon , the tanks are quicker than the artillery, not quite sure how far the project will go, I hope to get the remaining tanks painted up soon to put the Italians under pressure. Yes the German Afrika corps is an enticing option ? Will fix our next battle soon πŸ‘

      Delete
  3. A year of fine of gaming goodness in the bag there Matt, look forward to your posts in 2023. I have dropped you an email re. Italy, its from my new gmail account so check your spam folder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to seeing how your plans unfold this year. The early North African campaign is interesting era to game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neil…not sure if it will be a small or big project at this stage, given the scale of the engagements it is unlikely to be historically based ? Although hex based something may be possible ?

      Delete
  5. Happy New Year Matt! I really like the video idea, though I'm too much of an old luddite now I fear to master that. I look forward to seeing much from the Dungeon this coming year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David, I could show you how to do the video it is extremely easy using an iPad. Let’s hope for a productive gaming year

      Delete
  6. Happy New year sir!
    Can't wait to see your new painted minis and battle rep.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Matt, always like your table whatever is on it. happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm….at the moment it is a bit of a mess since Christmas !

      Delete
  8. What a great start to the North African project Matt. They all look absolutely beautiful. Happy New Year and I'll be looking forward to more lovely games and figures throughout 2023.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your support Lawrence, thankfully the tanks are pretty quick to paint πŸ‘

      Delete
  9. Great stuff as always Matt but I agree, having Sherman's in the British force that early in the desert war seems an anachronism to me? Are you planning a summer holiday in Sicily....Normans AND WWII 28mm projects would benefit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith, the book (and other sources) I am reading are very clear. In fact remarkably so due to the supply issues they had when each ‘new’ tank came into service, whilst Valentines, Matilda’s etc continued to fight right through the better British/US grants and Sherman’s can only be used from specific dates. I suspect given the scale of the engagements that we won’t be playing specific historical battles in 15mm, more a Hollywood version……and yes we had planned Sicily last year but ran out of time so it is on the list for this year…..and you didn’t mention the Greeks πŸ‘

      Delete
  10. Thanks John nice to start the new year with enthusiasm πŸ˜€

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy New Year Matt and I look forward to more games in 2023.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks George and yes more battles to be fought in 2023

      Delete
  12. Happy New Year Matt and some nice projects you have planned there. The Western Desert keeps calling to me, mainly due to those wonderful Crusader tanks that I've loved ever since having an Airfix kit of one back in the day:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy new year Steve. Hoping the desert will provide some interesting battles I now have the Valentines and Honeys to doπŸ™‚

      Delete
  13. A cracking start to your new project…
    The early Desert War is an interesting subject… I have fond memories of reading the Airfix Magazine articles by John Sandars.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy new year and you’re off and running. πŸ˜€

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew hopefully not too quickly after all it is a marathon !

      Delete
  15. Happy New Year Matt. Good number of wargaming aspirations for the coming year. I have a 6mm Anglo Zulu War project and additions to my 12mm WW1 1914 armies as well as 15mm Renaissance armies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John , yes lots to keep me occupied in 2023

      Delete