Wednesday 30 August 2023

Painting progress and yet another castle

I still seem to be busy being away almost every weekend at the moment. But in between I am managing some reasonable painting time 😀
In our last Dark age battle I realised I didn’t have any suitable markers to show the units which were disrupted, so I quickly made a few using some unwanted plastic bits and pieces. Nothing fancy but they will do.
I also had some late German mortars which needed finishing off, the same camo as my other Germans
Finally I have also completed my first unit of French dragoons. Red facings which means they can be several different regiments and I haven’t painted the Regiment Nos. on their saddle bags. They are Perry figures, easy to put together and pretty easy to paint, which is lucky as I have another regiment to do as well. I am straight on to painting the next French Infantry.

A couple of weeks ago we had another weekend in Scotland from the ‘blogs’ perspective the most interesting visit was to Thirlestone Castle.
Started around 1590 the original square tower has been extended into a very significant/monumental castle. It is still lived in and hosts a significant collection of antiques etc….
A number of interesting artefacts , a painting by a French prisoner of war housed at the castle during the Napoleonic wars
The original Ducal Order issued to the castles owner
The castle has been in the Maitland family for many years a number of whom have had military careers. 
The castle also houses a small toy museum two items caught my eye, the above I believe are very early wargame figures designed to be cut out
Ignoring the horrible doll figure these books caught my eye as well.
A final shot of the rear of the castle.
This weekend we were at a music festival on the Solway coast.

A couple of games over the next two days and then hopefully a trip to Border Reivers wargame show.

Matt



30 comments:

  1. I like the look of those French dragoons

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fine mix of figures Matt, with the Dragoons being my favourites (maybe it's the classic red and green combon?). Nice castle too with French influenced roofs that remind me of chateaux...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve I went red for these perhaps pink for the next unit ?

      Delete
  3. Loving all the new additions to the painted collection. Disordered markers are particularly well done I think.

    Trip's photos show us some very interesting things. I too would love to be able to read those books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. French dragoons always look good, and you have done a great job with them Matt. Reading about your recent castle visit I wondered if the Maitlands at Thirlestone were anything to do with Peregrine Maitland, but it it appears not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence, apparently a different Maitland family, this was the Maitland that served in the Peninsular 😀

      Delete
  5. nice painting and a cool castle

    ReplyDelete
  6. You remain plenty busy, Matt. Great to see what is marching out from the painting desk and your travels.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Grand additions to the various collections Matt. The castle looks an interesting visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David, it is an impressive building with some interesting stuff, although you can only visit with a guided tour which isn’t my preferred approach.

      Delete
  8. Some nice additions Matt and like others have noted, the castle looks like an interesting place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fine additions and castle visit there Matt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice castle and disruption markers, love the Perry dragoons, I've got another unit primed, I think I'll do them with pink facings as I've got red, yellow and orange, I didn't do the numbers either!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain yes I might do some classic pink next ?

      Delete
  11. Splendid work Matt…
    Thirlestone is a fine looking castle… I’m sure we went there a number of times when I was but a lad…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly…..impressive how the wealthy can spend their money

      Delete
  12. A rolling stone still finds time to paint. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are very prolific mate! Lovely figures 😎

    ReplyDelete
  14. You've been very productive with the paintbrush, Matt! Lovely work all around - particularly like those French Dragoons. Impressive looking Scottish castle and artifacts too. The paper "cut out" soldier print is amazing, and looks great in a glass case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean, I believe the figure were designed to be cut out to be played with

      Delete